Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

What do you think of the media's reporting of this issue?

Do you honestly believe this is fair game and reasonably balanced?

Oh it's clear they are going after him - but I've no fucking sympathy whatsoever given his previous associations with known antisemites such as Raed Salah, Stephen Sizer, Paul Eisen and Carlos Latuff.

12 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Worth remembering that Israel and many of its allies want to make peaceful protests such as BDS illegal as well.

On that note, Israel is due to host the next Eurovision song contest, I wonder if we'll see any Countries boycotting it.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

One of the "Jewish leaders" who are regularly put in front of the cameras to give a response about Corbyns anti-Semitism is right-wing headbanger Stephen Pollard , editor of one of the Jewish papers tweeted this last night.

Screenshot_20180804-092750.png

So Corbyn is Anti Semitic because THE PAPER, NOT HIM published his article on a Saturday ...about rooting out anti-semites!

Edited by Jdog

Just flicked on to SKY news and there it is again.

I wonder how many racist incidents, including physical attacks, against non Jews have happened and gone unreported  in the U.K. in the last few weeks whilst this engineered story has been getting such massive coverage.

15 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Privately-owned media have no obligation to be reasonably balanced so I'm not sure what your complaint is.

Scottish nationalism is also loathed by the  right-wing press and like most broad movements has its fair share of absolute nutters and extremists on its fringe, The media would like nothing better than to attach them to Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP but because that party is a politically sophisticated machine rather than a borderline cult, they can never credibly attach the nutters to the cause. Sturgeon and co. constantly run rings around the exact same press organisations by doing basic stuff like... err... completely denouncing said nutters  at the first opportunity without deploying the caveats, consipracy theories and whataboutery that Momentum and the Mumbleclown favour. The reason why anti-Semitism has already led to an internal inquiry being carried out within the Labour Party and ongoing damage to their cause is because Corbyn and his allies have embraced fellow travellers whose views swerve into that morass. That is a failure of political leadership and the only person to blame for their current negative coverage is the Mumbleclown. 

Edited by vikingTON

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I wonder how many racist incidents, including physical attacks, against non Jews have happened and gone unreported  in the U.K. in the last few weeks whilst this engineered story has been getting such massive coverage.

Speaking of whataboutery, this is an absolute minter of an effort even by your own standards. 

Privately-owned media have no obligation to be reasonably balanced so I'm not sure what your complaint is.
Scottish nationalism is also loathed by the  right-wing press and like most broad movements has its fair share of absolute nutters and extremists on its fringe, The media would like nothing better than to attach them to Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP but because that party is a politically sophisticated machine rather than a borderline cult, they can never credibly actually the nutters to the cause. Sturgeon and co. constantly run rings around the exact same press organisations by doing basic stuff like... err... completely denouncing said nutters  at the first opportunity without deploying the caveats, consipracy theories and whataboutery that Momentum and the Mumbleclown favour. The reason why anti-Semitism has already led to an internal inquiry being carried out within the Labour Party and ongoing damage to their cause is because Corbyn and his allies have embraced fellow travellers whose views swerve into that morass. That is a failure of political leadership and the only person to blame for their current negative coverage is the Mumbleclown. 
This. Sturgeon and the SNP leadership have never tolerated the racist mutters that try to attach themselves to the independence movement - the same cannot be said for Momentum and Corbyn.

The reality is that if your fellow travellers are antisemites then don't be surprised if you get labelled as an anti-semite.

It also doesn't help when you cuddle up to known antisemites and call them friends.

Are you saying that there is no issue of antisemitism in the Labour Party?

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Are you saying that there is no issue of antisemitism in the Labour Party?

There are some folk on here that would have responded in that way to my post; I would not have expected you to be one of them.

I am saying the level of media coverage is disproportionate to the issue.  How many specific anti-Semitic acts by Labour Party members are being reported?

There are some folk on here that would have responded in that way to my post; I would not have expected you to be one of them.
I am saying the level of media coverage is disproportionate to the issue.  How many specific anti-Semitic acts by Labour Party members are being reported?

Okay - I agree with you that it is disproportionate - that being said I think it has been more of an issue since the membership increased - as with all parties that grow fast there will always be a few more rotten apples than in the past.

I don't think Corbyn has handled things particularly well either - the backtracking and apologies don't come across as sincere - they have McDonnell's fingerprints all over them.

As I said before I don't have much sympathy - it's not just Corbyn's associations with known antisemites - Labour have not exactly been slow off the mark when it comes to accusing other parties of being racist. Live by the sword and die by the sword.

If you elect a leader from what was previously viewed as being the lunatic fringe of your party, you are asking for this sort of media attention, because people on the lunatic fringe tend to have acquaintances that the mainstream wouldn't touch with a bargepole due to being linked to groups like Hamas or the IRA. Try to imagine what the media would be doing right now if the Tories had a leader that used to hang around with Ulster Loyalists Andy Goram style and shared platforms with former henchmen of Augusto Pinochet or something like that. Think the much more pressing issue with Corbyn is why he hasn't worked with the Lib Dems and SNP to secure a soft Brexit (probably another cynical calculation about foaming at the mouth level Brexiters being more difficult to keep on board than more rationally-minded Remainers and being very much needed by Labour to put the 40% or so together required to have a majority so far left policies can be implemented) given October is by some estimations the latest that a deal can be done on time for March 29th, but the anti-semitism angle is no doubt being pushed because there is a fair to middling chance of a general election before the end of this year if Theresa May's grip on the Tory party unravels and elements of the media clearly want to remind people that Corbyn isn't a normal Labour politician and putting him power is A Very British Coup sort of scenario. 

Edited by LongTimeLurker

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Try to imagine what the media would be doing right now if the Tories had a leader that used to hang around with Ulster Loyalists Andy Goram style and shared platforms with former henchmen of Augusto Pinochet or something like that.

image_update_316196ae40146791_1365456528