Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

It's staggering how a guy who funded the contras and loved apartheid is just given a pass because he gets it up them loony lefties.

That's just standard Tory/right wing policy tbf.

The 80s version of funding jihadis and loving Israel.

The Jewish Labour Movement calling for the Peterborough MP to have the whip withdrawn because she was against adopting the IHRA definitions before Labour changed its policy and adopted them. The same definitions that the guy who drafted them said they should not be used as rules to define antisemitism, but were merely a Sociological tool to compare antisemitism across borders. Arguing for this he said:

"Imagine a definition designed for Palestinians. If "Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, and denying Israel the right to exist" is antisemitism, then shouldn't "Denying the Palestinian people their right to self-determination, and denying Palestine the right to exist" be anti-Palestinianism? Would they then ask administrators to police and possibly punish campus events by pro-Israel groups who oppose the two state solution, or claim the Palestinian people are a myth?"

• 2 weeks later...

All this Corbyn antisemetic stuff is starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf once you look behind the headlines.

Its a bit like when yr nippers keep saying “Why, why . .. . Why” to everything, you tune it out in the end.

Was a bit curious to find out what Chris Williamson had said that was so anti semitic. Seems there wasn't anything specific, but he's accused of "Jew baiting", like the Hibs fans "goading" Celtic fans. Looks like he should be less impulsive in defending other people who have been accused justifiably, but that's about it. The big thing that did for him was suggesting that the Labour party should defend itself more against an organised campaign of vilification against the left of the party, which doesn't sound anti semitic to me, just maybe a tactical misstep. 

https://www.thejc.com/comment/analysis/what-exactly-has-labour-mp-chris-williamson-done-to-offend-jews-here-s-a-long-list-1.485890 

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

Lovely people these Israeli officials.

Liked this bit.

And the international community continues to shower the Palestinians with some $2.3 billion in development aid annually — more than most countries receive.

Israel gets $3.8 Billion from the US in military aid alone.

32 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

No. I just want to know how much Staines personally gave to the Contras.

Do you have any real evidence or sources to back up your claim that he funded them?

I was lobbying at the Council of Europe and at Parliament; I was over in Washington, in Jo'burg, in South America. It was 'let's get guns for the Contras', that sort of stuff. I was enjoying it immensely, I got to go with these guys and fire off AK-47s. I always like to go where the action is, and for that period in the Reagan/Thatcher days, it was great fun, it was all expenses paid and I got to see the world.

^ Is that unreferenced quote all you can find? That's not evidence that Paul Staines personally funded the Contras. It does not even suggest that he met the Contras.

It's obvious that Staines was on a free jolly in DC and fired off some guns. It means f**k all.

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

^ Is that unreferenced quote all you can find? That's not evidence that Paul Staines personally funded the Contras. It does not even suggest that he met the Contras.

It's obvious that Staines was on a free jolly in DC and fired off some guns. It means f**k all.

He brags in a Guardian interview about gun running for the Contras. You can Google it. He's clearly sympathetic to the cause at the very, very  least. 

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

I hope you aren't suggesting Staines is prone to embellishing the facts and perhaps downright lying? Anyone would think him untrustworthy.

14 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

He brags in a Guardian interview about gun running for the Contras. You can Google it. He's clearly sympathetic to the cause at the very, very  least. 

So you back-track from your claim that Paul Staines funded the Contras? The bragging was typical youthful BS. The Tory students loved to wind up the left. It was a form of trolling before the internet was invented. 

Similarly, Labour students loved to wind-up the Tories. It was a form of political sport. In my days, we all had a laugh about it in the union bar.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

So you back-track from your claim that Paul Staines funded the Contras? The bragging was typical youthful BS. The Tory students loved to wind up the left. It was a form of trolling before the internet was invented. 

Similarly, Labour students loved to wind-up the Tories. It was a form of political sport. In my days, we all had a laugh about it in the union bar.

Yes all of the right wing people I know regularly brag about funding terrorist death squads in Nicaragua. Definitely normal behaviour for serious journos not afflicted with a mental brain disease.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I hope you aren't suggesting Staines is prone to embellishing the facts and perhaps downright lying? Anyone would think him untrustworthy.

I'm just saying that your quote proves nothing. It certainly does not prove that Staines had any personal role in funding the Contras. Where did you get it?

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Yes all of the right wing people I know regularly brag about funding terrorist death squads in Nicaragua. Definitely normal behaviour for serious journos not afflicted with a mental brain disease.

Where does Staines brag about personally funding the Contras? You have not provided a shred of concrete evidence to back-up your claim.