Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

The photo showing Tory MPs clambering round the speaker to show him clips pretty much sums up the standard on show at Westminster.

The irony overload is that 'the stupid person' started this with a pantomime joke.

Oh no it didn’t....

Why is this even news? Any chance to take the heat off the May and the Tories and their media chums grab on for dear life. 

I don't care if he did say stupid woman. He'd be right in any case. 

10 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I work as a language teacher and I've done a lot of phonology training. It's part of what I do every day and I've studied it extensively. I teach people how to make sounds involving getting the shape of their mouth right.

The problem is that he's mumbling so he's not articulating the sounds properly. That being the case, the difference between the /w/ or /p/ before the first vowel is hard to distinguish. But that's words in isolation, what we're dealing with here is connected speech.

In connected speech your mouth doesn't really change position between a final /d/ sound and an initial /p/ sound. So, most people don't say /ˈstjuː.pɪd ˈpiː.pəl/  with all of the sounds pronounced. They 'swallow' the final /d/ sound in 'stupid' and merge it with the initial /p/ sound in 'people'. This is called elision and occurs frequently to final /d/ and /t/ sounds at the end of words when the next word begins with a consonant sound.

Think of how you say phrases like 'post the letter' (you drop the /t/) or 'stand tall' (you drop the /d/).

So, with 'stupid people' a native speaker of English usually says /ˈstjuː.pɪ ˈpiː.pəl/ with the /d/ sound missing as it's dominated by the following /p/. That being the case, your mouth shape shouldn't change at all between the two sounds. Corbyn's mouth shape does change after the 'stupid', so it seems very unlikely to me that he said 'stupid people'.

The lipreading lady above makes no reference to connected speech and for that reason I think she's wrong. Looks like 'stupid woman' to me.

Is this the most boring post ever on P&B?

Aye, boring merging into bollocks with a silent fucking.

Looked like stupid woman to me, he was clearly frustrated and no one would have batted an eyelid if May had mouthed ‘stupid man’. Why not just be honest about it. That he feels the need to lie (or has been advised to) uncovers a more worrying truth.

3 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Looked like stupid woman to me, he was clearly frustrated and no one would have batted an eyelid if May had mouthed ‘stupid man’. Why not just be honest about it. That he feels the need to lie (or has been advised to) uncovers a more worrying truth.

Not entirely.  There is probably some House of Commons rule that calling someone stupid leads to immediate suspension from the house.

Also, members of the house are addressing the speaker when they speak.  No cross-talk is allowed.

Instead of calling Theresa May a "stupid woman", he should have addressed the speaker and said "Mr Speaker, she is a stupid woman".

Sounds daft but rules are rules. 

There's unsubstantiated rumours going around that Corbyn is flying one of the drones and May the other, as I say, unsubstantiated, but could be classic deflection tactics..............

53 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

There's unsubstantiated rumours going around that Corbyn is flying one of the drones and May the other, as I say, unsubstantiated, but could be classic deflection tactics..............

^^^^ Heard May and Corbyn accused of droning and misunderstood.

Another vid showing how tricky it is.

Your brain actually changes the sound coming in your ears to fit what you're expecting from watching the mouth. So when the camera focuses on Corbyn shortly after May doing her Pantomime skit, you relate it to her and see "woman". But it happened well after she had finished and the cameras didn't show the barracking he was getting from the Tory backbenchers. So when I watched it again, I saw "people" Next time, "woman" again. I believe Corbyn and I'm not a fan. Vision and sound intermingle in our perceptions and we don't always get the truth.

Edited by welshbairn

https://news.sky.com/story/former-labour-minister-ivan-lewis-quits-party-citing-antisemitism-concerns-11587298

Sex pest MP resigns Labour Party ahead of hearing into his sex pest activities and blames Corbyn’s ‘anti-Semitism’.

Aye right pal.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

https://news.sky.com/story/former-labour-minister-ivan-lewis-quits-party-citing-antisemitism-concerns-11587298

Sex pest MP resigns Labour Party ahead of hearing into his sex pest activities and blames Corbyn’s ‘anti-Semitism’.

Aye right pal.

Sky seem to be with you given their picture choice.

skynews-ivan-lewis-labour-mp_4392296.jpg

13 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Maybe the Leave voters are on to something when you can claim to be a "lip reading expert" and expect people to take you seriously.

Are you saying there's no such thing as a lip-reading expert?

That will be news to the media, police, and lawyers who make use of them for various purposes.