Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

Also it turns out that all the journalists who had never heard of Integrity Initiative last week were actually speakers at an II event a few months ago.
James Ball "wasn't paying attention to who was running the event"

James Ball doesn’t read anything that isn’t #data

58 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Rachel Riley has added anti semitism smears to counting and wearing tight dresses to things she is known for :(

I doubt she saw the meme Sugar posted of Corbyn sitting next to Hitler tbf, he took it down sharpish.

DZi6P9iW4AEXxho.jpg

On 12/16/2018 at 14:59, Detournement said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/16/why-are-labour-party-leaders-so-quiet-on-europe---maybe-it-is-the-lure-of-disaster

Nick Cohen is continuing his journalistic dirty protest.  He now seems to be focusing on McDonnell, Milne and Murray because people actual like Corbyn. This week's meltdown involves the usual Stalinst-Islamist alliance claim and comparing Corbyn's position on Brexit to Lenin's on WW1. But he completely misrepresents Lenin's defeatist stance and outright lies that Lenin was in favour of WW1.

The Observer is an absolute shambles. It just seems to make up stories it hopes will come true and is run by people who were irrelevant a decade ago never mind now.

I'm a very long time reader of the Observer, and the paid for newsprint version forms a major part of my Sunday morning ( along with the bacon and mushroom crusty rolls ).

Must say, I agree with you. There's a whole raft of people like Cohen, Rawnsley and some of the women contributors ( not Cadwaladr, she's great ) who could do with being cleared out. 

The problem is,  the Guardian is a newspaper for so-called Liberals, and politically , the Liberal Democrats were , and remain, almost completely discredited.  And so are it's 'opinion formers' .    Whereas people like Cadwaladr actually get off their arses, and investigate.  

Edited by beefybake

The most misogynistic thing in the country is Tory austerity which disproportionately effects women. But the media don't like to talk about that.

The UN investigator from Australia said

“If you got a group of misogynists together in a room and said ‘how can we make a system that works for men but not women?’ they wouldn’t have come up with too many other ideas than what’s in place.”

I work as a language teacher and I've done a lot of phonology training. It's part of what I do every day and I've studied it extensively. I teach people how to make sounds involving getting the shape of their mouth right.

The problem is that he's mumbling so he's not articulating the sounds properly. That being the case, the difference between the /w/ or /p/ before the first vowel is hard to distinguish. But that's words in isolation, what we're dealing with here is connected speech.

In connected speech your mouth doesn't really change position between a final /d/ sound and an initial /p/ sound. So, most people don't say /ˈstjuː.pɪd ˈpiː.pəl/  with all of the sounds pronounced. They 'swallow' the final /d/ sound in 'stupid' and merge it with the initial /p/ sound in 'people'. This is called elision and occurs frequently to final /d/ and /t/ sounds at the end of words when the next word begins with a consonant sound.

Think of how you say phrases like 'post the letter' (you drop the /t/) or 'stand tall' (you drop the /d/).

So, with 'stupid people' a native speaker of English usually says /ˈstjuː.pɪ ˈpiː.pəl/ with the /d/ sound missing as it's dominated by the following /p/. That being the case, your mouth shape shouldn't change at all between the two sounds. Corbyn's mouth shape does change after the 'stupid', so it seems very unlikely to me that he said 'stupid people'.

The lipreading lady above makes no reference to connected speech and for that reason I think she's wrong. Looks like 'stupid woman' to me.

Is this the most boring post ever on P&B?

Edited by JTS98

9 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I work as a language teacher and I've done a lot of phonology training. It's part of what I do every day and I've studied it extensively. I teach people how to make sounds involving getting the shape of their mouth right.

The problem is that he's mumbling so he's not articulating the sounds properly. That being the case, the difference between the /w/ or /p/ before the first vowel is hard to distinguish. But that's words in isolation, what we're dealing with here is connected speech.

In connected speech your mouth doesn't really change position between a final /d/ sound and an initial /p/ sound. So, most people don't say /ˈstjuː.pɪd ˈpiː.pəl/  with all of the sounds pronounced. They 'swallow' the final /d/ sound in 'stupid' and merge it with the initial /p/ sound in 'people'. This is called elision and occurs frequently to final /d/ and /t/ sounds at the end of words when the next word begins with a consonant sound.

Think of how you say phrases like 'post the letter' (you drop the /t/) or 'stand tall' (you drop the /d/).

So, with 'stupid people' a native speaker of English usually says /ˈstjuː.pɪ ˈpiː.pəl/ with the /d/ sound missing as it's dominated by the following /p/. That being the case, your mouth shape shouldn't change at all between the two sounds. Corbyn's mouth shape does change after the 'stupid', so it seems very unlikely to me that he said 'stupid people'.

The lipreading lady above makes no reference to connected speech and for that reason I think she's wrong. Looks like 'stupid woman' to me.

Is this the most boring post ever on P&B?

On experiment I have more defined transition between d and p than d and w, you stupid man.

Edited by welshbairn

Evelyn Glennie took one look at it in a BBC studio and said she was certain he said "stupid woman".

Corbyn would get far more respect for admitting he said it, saying it again and saying he meant every word.

But he won't, the gutless piece of shit.

John Bercow -

I have looked at the television footage of the leader of the opposition reacting to the prime minister, allegedly saying ‘stupid woman’ to those seated next to him.

Having heard the allegation against the leader of the opposition and having watched the footage it is easy to see why the leader of the opposition’s words might be construed as ‘stupid woman’.

That was also the opinion of lip speakers - and I emphasis lip speakers rather than lip readers - whose advice was sought and obtained at short notice.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

On experiment I have more defined transition between d and p than d and w, you stupid man.

Yeah, but that's because the point of articulation of a /w/ and an /m/ sound are very different.

Do it silently with your mouth. A /w/ is basically an oo sound with your mouth rounded. A /m/ sound brings your lips together. Transitioning to an /m/ sound from a / ɪ / sound involves little movement of the mouth. Making the transition from / ɪ / to /w/ radically changes the shape of your mouth.

The /p/ sound is very close to the /m/ sound in terms of point of articulation, again, try it silently and you'll see how close they are.

The amount of movement of his mouth makes it quite unlikely that he was transitioning from / ɪ / to /p/.

Keep in mind that transitioning from /d/ is largely irrelevant here, as he didn't say the /d/.

Misread your post, doesn't matter.

He didn't say 'stupid people' anyway.

Edited by JTS98

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Evelyn Glennie took one look at it in a BBC studio and said she was certain he said "stupid woman".

Corbyn would get far more respect for admitting he said it, saying it again and saying he meant every word.

But he won't, the gutless piece of shit.

John Bercow -

I see people or woman randomly every time I look at it, like that blue/red ? dress that was all over the place recently. Can't believe we're arguing about this shit. Even the experts don't agree, but who fucking cares? It was a whisper to a colleague. On balance I'd believe Corbyn.

I see people or woman randomly every time I look at it, like that blue/red ? dress that was all over the place recently. Can't believe we're arguing about this shit. Even the experts don't agree, but who fucking cares? It was a whisper to a colleague. On balance I'd believe Corbyn.
The photo showing Tory MPs clambering round the speaker to show him clips pretty much sums up the standard on show at Westminster.

The irony overload is that 'the stupid person' started this with a pantomime joke.