Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

8 minutes ago, Pato said:

Aye & all of those things are undoubtedly amplified by people's ability to communicate with each other on unmoderated platforms like facebook or whatever and form wee groups who all agree with each other till every so often it bubbles over into one of them doing something daft or criminal in the real world.

No doubt, and the big social media companies have to get a grip on this.

I don't know how much of a dent it will make if we continue to ignore the symbiotic relationship between Israel and the non online right/far right.

21 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I mean Sacha Baron Cohen probably isn't Baddiel levels of hypocrisy given he is Jewish himself and poking fun at stereotypes of his own religious group but I had the same experience as GHB and it's either Borat or South Park which has to take the L on teaching a load of Scottish weans about Jewish stereotypes. 

Pato if I knew how to make the meme of the point going over someone's head while he laughs at the surface reading I would put your quote as the point and have the guy saying "jagshemash!" The thing about that meme tho, IMO, is that it can be both. I still laugh at Borat despite it being puerile and I usually try to justify it on the intellectual grounds you're giving but on some level it is just a guy saying "my wife!" in a funny accent.

First thing that came to mind from this post, literally including the funny accent too:

edit: I know it's The Dictator rather than Borat but maybe helps illustrate SBC being both juvenile and having a little bit of depth to it at the same time

further edit: ha the rigged elections bit aged well, twigged there... oh, Donald.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

32 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

First thing that came to mind from this post, literally including the funny accent too:

edit: I know it's The Dictator rather than Borat but maybe helps illustrate SBC being both juvenile and having a little bit of depth to it at the same time

further edit: ha the rigged elections bit aged well, twigged there... oh, Donald.

All I mind from that movie is the scene where he's playing a video game that reenacts the Munich 72 massacre.

Meanwhile in Chile (another settler state founded out of Spanish colonialism with a recent history of severe human rights abuses) the indigenous Mapuche people are still actively trying to get the land back in Araucania:

I wonder why Mapuche rights are less important than Palestinian ones to the usual suspects in this thread?

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Meanwhile in Chile (another settler state founded out of Spanish colonialism with a recent history of severe human rights abuses) the indigenous Mapuche people are still actively trying to get the land back in Araucania:

I wonder why Mapuche rights are less important than Palestinian ones to the usual suspects in this thread?

You should make a thread about it mate people would be happy to chat about it I'm sure. You're surely not playing "why care about this, when also this happens" are you? 

25 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

You should make a thread about it mate people would be happy to chat about it I'm sure. You're surely not playing "why care about this, when also this happens" are you? 

I'm guessing the answer to that is "yes". 

If that is the case, @LongTimeLurker, do you happen to know how much british ordnance has been used against the Mapuche? (I'll tell you - a fuckload (because we aren't fussy about issuing licenses) but nowhere near what we flog to the Israelis). 

The casualty figures are a wee bit different too. 

1 hour ago, Avon Barksdale said:

I have yet to see you mention the plight of the Na'vi on Pandora. Antisemitism much ?

Unless you insist that native Americans are given the rocket propelled means to wipe Boise, Idaho from the map do you really care about oppressed peoples?

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Unless you insist that native Americans are given the rocket propelled means to wipe Boise, Idaho from the map do you really care about oppressed peoples?

I would simply suggest that the Native Americans and Boise, Idaho should vote for more moderate leadership.

Not picking up much sympathy for the Mapuche from the usual suspects so far despite the way a settler state attracted European settlers in to take all the best land from them. Is there something about the Israeli settlers that makes them different in some way from the Chilean ones so that one land grab becomes less objectionable than the other one in some people's minds? Should probably mention that it's not just Chile on the settler state front:

It should be easy enough to simply state that the plight of the Mapuche is also important and we stand in solidarity with them as well but that's not what happens. This all comes round to what went wrong for Labour when Andrew Neil interviewed Jeremy Corbyn with the outcome of that election campaign being that a complete buffoon with a hard Brexit agenda became PM.

Should have been easy enough for him to say that of course we apologise for any genuinely anti-semitic behaviour that has happened and will do our utmost to root any culprits out of our party but for whatever reason he couldn't bring himself to do that.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

33 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not picking up much sympathy for the Mapuche from the usual suspects so far despite the way a settler state attracted European settlers in to take all the best land from them. Is there something about the Israeli settlers that makes them different in some way from the Chilean ones so that one land grab becomes less objectionable than the other one in some people's minds? Should probably mention that it's not just Chile on the settler state front:

It should be easy enough to simply state that the plight of the Mapuche is also important and we stand in solidarity with them as well but that's not what happens. This all comes round to what went wrong for Labour when Andrew Neil interviewed Jeremy Corbyn with the outcome of that election campaign being that a complete buffoon with a hard Brexit agenda became PM.

Should have been easy enough for him to say that of course we apologise for any genuinely anti-semitic behaviour that has happened and will do our utmost to root any culprits out of our party but for whatever reason he couldn't bring himself to do that.

Is there something about the Palestinians that is making you derail this thread with your bad faith arguments ?

LTL working on a 3-5 working days delay in copy and pasting the latest bad-faith argument he read on Twitter. We'll have Eve Barlow's "calling me Eve Fartlow is a modern pogrom" article posted by Friday.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

No one on the left likes the Chilean government.

There are issues of discrimination and persecution of indigenous people all over the world but there is nothing which is comparable to the every day ethnic cleansing in Palestine.

Neil is a tedious right wing p***k and the second Corbyn admitted to anti Semitism that he had to apologise for the rest of the interview would have been a car crash with Neil making wild accusations then saying so you don't apologise when Corbyn defended himself. The biggest mistake Corbyn and his high profile supporters made was not calling out the anti Semitism smears as bullshit from day one. Funnily enough the Jewish Chronicle had to print an apology to Marc Wadsworth last week. 

Edited by Detournement

Fartlow made it all the way to the famously not racist Fox News to discuss racism.
IMG_20210602_081456.jpg.bca0d7d31beabd005c0fae8824c145b7.jpg

I’m sure doing this will have the same effect that Glinner having to talk to the Mail and the Sun did for his transphobia.