Israel lobby v Corbyn

Jdog

17 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

A two-state solution on close to 1967 borders is unpalatable ideologically because it rewards the original Zionist land grab but it is the only viable pragmatic solution at this point given there is no realistic way to peacefully undo the various population transfers that happened in both directions from 1948 onwards. In order to get the stalled Oslo Accords process back on track both sides have to stop firing missiles at each other, stop voting in extremists and have to get serious about a lasting compromise rather than allowing people within their own camp to believe that going after the whole shebang is still on the agenda.

The road to that has to pass through Washington because the biggest problem in being able to apply international pressure on Israel to do the right thing is the pro-Israeli lobby in the United States. If people don't see sense soon I suspect Israel-Palestine is heading for a catastrophic end game because Israel is way too small to be able to successfully sustain the Netanyahu style military solution long term. The problems they are having with Iron Dome in recent days in stopping direct missile hits in Tel Aviv are a glimpse of how quickly things could shift for them strategically if they are not able to stay one step ahead on countering emerging drone technology.

That "suicide drone" sounds terrifying. 

It looks like a cheap guided missile, but "drone" makes it sound new and scary and "suicide" makes it sound all muslimmy and terroristy. Why can't they just use a nice cuddly "defence system" like Israel?

32 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That "suicide drone" sounds terrifying...

What Hamas appear to be aiming for is to keep firing enough of these cheap projectiles that Israel drains its stocks of the massively expensive interceptors at which point Israel loses its Iron Dome capability and Hamas still potentially has plenty of missiles that can now reach Israel unimpeded. Israel has to stay one step ahead or the strategic balance tips very quickly on this given even Tel Aviv has been demonstrated to be in range. The Iron Dome resupply has to come from the USA and there appears to be some genuine nervousness over whether it will be forthcoming in some quarters:

Edited by LongTimeLurker

41 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It's an inflatable of the UAE's bin Zayed with red eyes and horns.

Okay that makes a bit more sense. Certainly an unsettling edit of the mans features right enough. 

Glad to see the arrests of the guys behind this- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57137151

Anyone know of any good up to date documentaries on the subject? I've just rewatched the Ross Kemp one (pretty shite) and I've been searching for the old Louis Theroux one but can't find it. 

Edited by Stormzy

Just now, Stormzy said:

Okay that makes a bit more sense. 

Glad to see the arrests of the guys behind this- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57137151

Anyone know of any good up to date documentaries on the subject? I've just rewatched the Ross Kemp one (pretty shite) and I've been searching for the old Louis Theroux one but can't find it. 

Don't get me wrong, it's distasteful but absolutely fascinating to see people who already knew perfectly well who it was saying "he has been made to look sinister, which makes me think of Jewish people, whom I love by the way." Just Julie Burchill without the horniness

And yes, very good to see those arrests. 

Absolutely gone at LTL saying one of the world's most powerful and expensive military apparatus is about to lose the strategic balance to a bunch of kids and amateurs with 20 year old rockets and home made munitions.

1 minute ago, Pato said:

They might have to do something else to stop a group of people wanting to shoot rockets at them!

That would be the worry, sensible people might say right let's sit down and sort this out knowing their casualties will be more or less equal at this point. This Israeli Government are not interested in parity, they will launch a full scale ground attack on the Gaza Strip & the whole region will be in uproar.

14 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You really don't understand the full implications of Israel not having an inexhaustible supply of very expensive interceptors?

Oh no, you mean the Israeli government might have to negotiate a ceasefire ? They might have to stop stealing land and building settlements for a short time ?

This is unacceptable and probably antisemitic too. We must resupply them immediately to restore the current 'neutral' balance of power.

I don't think Israeli civilians being killed because Israel can no longer repel primitive missiles is going to end well. The use of force in such an event as retaliation doesn't bear thinking about. 

I can't see Israel negotiating a ceasefire unfortunately. 

Edited by Michael W

A ground invasion of the Gaza Strip is where this could be heading unfortunately because the chances of Likud under Netanyahu going for the more peaceful route are not as high as they should be unfortunately. Both sides have their extremists in control right now after all. I'm old enough to remember Israel almost losing in 1973 after the Egyptians used high pressure water hoses in an unexpected way to overcome what was supposed to be an impregnable line of defence at the Suez canal:

It's a mistake to underestimate what can happen with relatively low tech approaches like drones if somebody is able to think innovatively enough outside the box.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What Hamas appear to be aiming for is to keep firing enough of these cheap projectiles that Israel drains its stocks of the massively expensive interceptors at which point Israel loses its Iron Dome capability and Hamas still potentially has plenty of missiles that can now reach Israel unimpeded. Israel has to stay one step ahead or the strategic balance tips very quickly on this given even Tel Aviv has been demonstrated to be in range. The Iron Dome resupply has to come from the USA and there appears to be some genuine nervousness over whether it will be forthcoming in some quarters:

Sounds like the Gaza strip's really gaining the upper hand here. 

On 15/05/2021 at 23:21, Lex said:

Fair to say this thread lived up to expectations.
Colour me surprised there’s not similar threads on this board about the treatment of the Rohingya or the Uighur’s or any other number of oppressed groups throughout the world (not).
It’s difficult to fit subtle anti-semitism into those threads, after all.

If despising what the Israeli authorities are doing to the Palestinian people makes me "anti semitic", then that's fine, stick me down for it.

I also thought it spoke volumes for our media when their lead story last night was about a group of folk driving motors down a london street while shouting out abuse from a megaphone and waiving Palestinian flags, meanwhile lots of innocents are being slaughtered (including many women and children) and that barely receives a mention.

Maybe if Johnson and Starmer issued lengthy statements about "abhorrent behaviour" and "they will be brought to justice" in respect of Netanyahu and his Government, then we'd all be able to take them a little more seriously...........

You really don't understand the full implications of Israel not having an inexhaustible supply of very expensive interceptors?

Er, yes - I don't think it's too difficult to understand.

1 hour ago, Pato said:

They might have to do something else to stop a group of people wanting to shoot rockets at them!

Yep, that would be it. Not killing their wives and children might be a start. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Sounds like the Gaza strip's really gaining the upper hand here. 

Possibly but let's not lose sight of the fact that Hamas are pursuing a strategy that is potentially catastrophic for the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip if Israel invades and there is street to street fighting complete with close air support on the Israeli side.

If Hamas have figured out how to circumvent Iron Dome, a lot depends after that on the level of Israeli appetite for ground invasions and taking relatively high casualties with today's internet generation.

Iron Dome was supposed to end the need for that sort of thing to pursue purely military solutions to Israeli security issues because Israel didn't do too well in Lebanon in 2006 the last time they did one of those with the aforementioned internet generation.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Possibly but let's not lose sight of the fact that Hamas are pursuing a strategy that is potentially catastrophic for the inhabitants of the Gaza Strip if Israel invades and there is street to street fighting complete with close air support on the Israeli side.

Israel obviously has no agency or responsibility whilst carrying out this slaughter. 

It's weird how the prospect of some rockets hitting Tel Aviv is catastrophic but continual bombing of Gaza and other Muslim areas targeted for constant aerial bombardment by the USA, Israel, the UK and France just have to live with it. I'm sure there's a term for that particular contradiction.....