The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

GB News went live yesterday! By all accounts like Times Radio or LBC, just studio segments of various gammony culture warriors with no reporting or actual news. The screenshots I've seen make it all look incredibly cheap as well  If it wasn't for the backers having no financial aims from the platform it's hard to see how it wouldn't wind up within the year 

Thing is these people think there is a huge groundswell of interest in the "culture wars" from a right wing perspective, because they spend far too much time in the twitter bubble. The vast majority either haven't heard of it or don't give a toss, as Lawrence Fox found out when he stood for London Mayor.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Especially liked the one with John Barnes about BLM and ‘taking the knee’. Covered aspects skirted over by the other networks

I watched that. John Barnes has always had a nuanced take on race relations which comes out with soundbites the right love to jump on. This was very apparent in this interview when leading questions led to dismiss the gesture of taking the knee were roundly skelpt out by Barnes who defended the gesture and attacked the authorities for not doing more. 

Surely this should be in the pundits thread? 

I switched on for a chuckle last night, Alan Sugar last night and John Barnes this morning is too predictable, found it quite pitiful the way they spent much of the opening segment rattling on about cancel culture etc. Like @welshbairn said before I think they've overestimated the amount of people that actually care about whatever is trending on Twitter. I do quite like Andrew Doyle and number 17 but after that it's a stretch. 

I hope if they go meltdown mode we get to see some Peter Hitchens though that would be amusing. 

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Watched it this morning.

Obviously a few technical gremlins to sort out but the interviews were much more probing than the MSM.

Especially liked the one with John Barnes about BLM and ‘taking the knee’. Covered aspects skirted over by the other networks.

Promising start

It was quite funny watching the England game on ESPN where the commentator went on about them taking the knee for 'action against discrimination'.

Then later on he talked about how the English manager had his suit specially made in England, because 'keeping it English'.

Surely this should be in the pundits thread? 
I switched on for a chuckle last night, Alan Sugar last night and John Barnes this morning is too predictable, found it quite pitiful the way they spent much of the opening segment rattling on about cancel culture etc. Like [mention=30062]welshbairn[/mention] said before I think they've overestimated the amount of people that actually care about whatever is trending on Twitter. I do quite like Andrew Doyle and number 17 but after that it's a stretch. 
I hope if they go meltdown mode we get to see some Peter Hitchens though that would be amusing. 
Nope. This selection of creatures getting their own public video playpen is the very definition of extremism being normalised.

7 hours ago, Pato said:

image.png.28a650d8cf7aa2284b1d6337398fdf53.png

Whoever that is on Andrew Neil's right looks about as comfortable as Wendy Maisey did when being photographed with Matt Hancock.

GBeebies seems to be the verdict on Twitter.

Edited by trainspotter
Ex Labour MP Gloria del Piero apparently.

I turned in last night and thought the graphics were reminiscent of Sky News circa 2010. Gloria de Piero said something about using the channel to give a voice to the voiceless, so I was surprised to see Lord Sugar being interviewed when I switched back over about 45 minutes later. 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I turned in last night and thought the graphics were reminiscent of Sky News circa 2010. Gloria de Piero said something about using the channel to give a voice to the voiceless, so I was surprised to see Lord Sugar being interviewed when I switched back over about 45 minutes later. 

The rich right-wing have managed to convince themselves that they are the voiceless these days.

Or possibly the idea is that, if they keep repeating that line, eventually the plebs will believe it. Seems to be working TBF.