The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

Worth a listen, they're not exactly promoting the DJ's views. He comes over as seriously disturbed.
" I don't judge them and have every sympathy for them, probably do the same if I was in their position, but they're all being put up in posh hotels, living the life of Riley and they're over here to kill my family." (rough summary)
You think so? Because to me it's the worst example of normalisation of racism I've ever seen in the UK. There's absolutely no question that the producer of this segment and the writer of the article on the website is at best neutral and at worst - and more likely - sympathetic. The guys in the clip are full-on racists and she knows what they put on social media.

This thread covers it:

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

You think so? Because to me it's the worst example of normalisation of racism I've ever seen in the UK.

If you think any of the people on the radio programme were portrayed as "normal", you must be on a different planet to me. The article by the producer on the website is a different matter, a token few words forced in for "balance", probably by her editor, and she leaves out the quotes on the radio programme that show them up for what they are, out and out paranoid racists and utter fruitcakes.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you think any of the people on the radio programme were portrayed as "normal", you must be on a different planet to me. The article by the producer on the website is a different matter, a token few words forced in for "balance", probably by her editor, and she leaves out the quotes on the radio programme that show them up for what they are, out and out paranoid racists and utter fruitcakes.

How many people listen to the broadcast compared to who sees that article do you reckon?

2 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

How many people listen to the broadcast compared to who sees that article do you reckon?

Not sure, I had to google the producer's name to find the article, it's not exactly prominent.

25 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Nice of the producer to tag a few far right accounts for a bit of a signal boost.

IMG_20201102_133027.thumb.jpg.943ce3ed2cac20157e0f75a57a1099c5.jpg

Not trying to justify it but that's a list of the people interviewed on the programme.

3 hours ago, JMDP said:

It is a clear normalisation of these views and should be roundly condemned. There is absolutely no place for shite like that on a national broadcaster unless it is being openly mocked. 

Completely agree with your first sentence (re the article, fucked if i'll spend half an hour listening to that melt) but disagree with your second. 

I think that it should be possible to report on this sort of thing dispassionately and informatively in a non judgemental way. The facts, and the guys tweets, should be all that's needed to show him in a negative light. 

The article goes the other way. By saying that he's trying to stop "the dangerous crossings" at the outset it casts it in a humanitarian light. Maybe if they'd started with "anti muslim campaigner Steve" it would be more accurate. 

On 02/11/2020 at 14:29, coprolite said:

Completely agree with your first sentence (re the article, fucked if i'll spend half an hour listening to that melt) but disagree with your second. 

I think that it should be possible to report on this sort of thing dispassionately and informatively in a non judgemental way. The facts, and the guys tweets, should be all that's needed to show him in a negative light. 

The article goes the other way. By saying that he's trying to stop "the dangerous crossings" at the outset it casts it in a humanitarian light. Maybe if they'd started with "anti muslim campaigner Steve" it would be more accurate. 

The article is shocking but just listen to the radio piece for a couple of minutes from 19 minutes 30 seconds. Or the whole thing of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000nd9q

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

"wedding DJ" is just another name for mobile DJ.

OFTW on so many levels.

Presumably the difference is price? Anything with wedding in the name is double normal prices. 

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The article is shocking but just listen to the radio piece for a couple of minutes from 19 minutes 30 seconds. Or the whole thing of course.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000nd9q

I really can't be bothered. Can i just take your word for it that it doesn't cast him in a good light? Please? I trust your judgement. 

33 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Presumably the difference is price? Anything with wedding in the name is double normal prices. 

I really can't be bothered. Can i just take your word for it that it doesn't cast him in a good light? Please? I trust your judgement. 

Yes.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/civil-war-brewing-inside-proud-boys-as-top-leader-says-hes-done-pretending-he-isnt-a-nazi/

Civil war brewing inside Proud Boys as top leader says he’s done pretending he isn’t a Nazi

Finally.

"Tactical Defense Arm". What a fucking Keenan. 

Next step should be rebranding so that their name sounds less like a militant queer outfit.