The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

Just now, Alan Stubbs said:

The first two statements tell me it's you who who isn't capable of dialogue.

Well, I think you have either misunderstood, or you are not willing to engage.

Nationalism is a serious issue.

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Matthew 21:22 "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer"

I totally said bible, which at this moment, I am pronouncing as "bibly"

(fracking autocorrect)

Edited by Jambo99

11 minutes ago, Jambo99 said:

Well, I think you have either misunderstood, or you are not willing to engage.

Nationalism is a serious issue.

I understood you fine. You don't want proper discussion with people you disagree with and also want to blame them for a lack of dialogue. Not a lot of self awareness on display here.

And I'm perfectly willing to engage. Try posting something other than the same meaningless statement over and over again and you might have better luck finding a real debate.

3 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

I understood you fine. You don't want proper discussion with people you disagree with and also want to blame them for a lack of dialogue. Not a lot of self awareness on display here.

And I'm perfectly willing to engage. Try posting something other than the same meaningless statement over and over again and you might have better luck finding a real debate.

Yeah, you've misunderstood me mate.

This thread is from a Scottish nationalist, pretending not to be one.

I am saying that nationalism is always ugly, it ALWAYS gets ugly.

So Scottish Nationalism and the increase of far-right nationalism and Trump, are symptoms of the same urge.

They  get energy from the same type of deliberate mistrust of the current system, and they all promise a better future, based on simple changes.

2 hours ago, Jambo99 said:

Nationalism is always a bad thing.

"Nonviolent nationalism is a necessary condition of corporate or civilized life."

Mahatma Gandhi, Collected Works, 1967.

"Indian nationalism is not exclusive, nor aggressive, nor destructive."

Mahatma Gandhi, All Men Are Brothers, p.116

"Our nationalism can be no peril to other nations in as much as we will exploit none, just as we will allow none to exploit us."

Mahatma Gandhi, Young India, 16/4/1931, p. 79

It's intellectually lazy just to say "all nationalism is bad". It's also ahistorical. See the development in human rights in 19th century Europe, especially the movement of power from the petty fiefdoms to the people as the German state came into being.

Will you change your position, knowing that one of the most celebrated peacemakers and leaders of the 20th century was an avowed nationalist?

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

"Nonviolent nationalism is a necessary condition of corporate or civilized life."

Mahatma Gandhi, Collected Works, 1967.

"Indian nationalism is not exclusive, nor aggressive, nor destructive."

Mahatma Gandhi, All Men Are Brothers, p.116

"Our nationalism can be no peril to other nations in as much as we will exploit none, just as we will allow none to exploit us."

Mahatma Gandhi, Young India, 16/4/1931, p. 79

It's intellectually lazy just to say "all nationalism is bad". It's also ahistorical. See the development in human rights in 19th century Europe, especially the movement of power from the petty fiefdoms to the people as the German state came into being.

Will you change your position, knowing that one of the most celebrated peacemakers and leaders of the 20th century was an avowed nationalist?

Are you and Indian living in India?

Edited by Jambo99

I dread dropping into the politics forums, but I'm breaking that for this one.

I think there's a very high chance that, within a decade, Tommy Robinson will be leading a significant British political party that other mainstream parties have to court. With people like Bannon behind him, with American money, with the tacit approval of most of the newspapers read by people in this country and with the platform given to him by the BBC, there's no saying how far he and his ideology can go. I know of very wealthy, successful people who've talked about him as though he's just some poor working class lad being stamped on by the PC elite. We're entering dark times and I fear hugely for the future.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I'll take that as a no.

Obviously you will GordonS,  you don't listen.

You are righteous and correct in everything you think and do.

People who don't instantly agree with you are the enemy.

11 minutes ago, Jambo99 said:

Actually, it's you who is playing that card. You're saying all nationalism is bad, not because you can back it up, but because it makes it easy for you to think of your political opponents as bad people.

I tried to engage with you and you ducked out of it. Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Actually, it's you who is playing that card. You're saying all nationalism is bad, not because you can back it up, but because it makes it easy for you to think of your political opponents as bad people.

I tried to engage with you and you ducked out of it. Fair enough.

Nationalism is BAD.

Ghandi might have said stuff 70 odd years ago, but what he said wasn't about the situation we all find ourselves in, right now.

And as far as I can see, its just righteous, easy stuff from the Scottish Nationalists so far.

Please try and chat. Not quotes and all that

Edited by Jambo99

Politics isn't between right v left now.

Politics is about authoritarianism v whatever remains.

Nationalism, is authoritarian, and it is in Scotland, just like other Nationalisms.

So I don't see a difference between left and right nationalism. Its all nationalism. It's the same thing.

Edited by Jambo99

3 hours ago, Jambo99 said:

That's funny. That's the impression I'm getting from you in here.