The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

I think the media - and by extension - society - is losing sight of what "far right" actually is. I see Corbynistas on the telly regularly these days saying that the likes of Boris Johnson and Dominic Raab are "far right extremists". Absolute garbage. They are right of centre for sure, but are not in any way extremists. To put it another way, they are no more "right wing extremists" than Jeremy Corbyn is a "left wing extremist"(which he's not).

52 minutes ago, The Chief said:

I think the media - and by extension - society - is losing sight of what "far right" actually is. I see Corbynistas on the telly regularly these days saying that the likes of Boris Johnson and Dominic Raab are "far right extremists". Absolute garbage. They are right of centre for sure, but are not in any way extremists. To put it another way, they are no more "right wing extremists" than Jeremy Corbyn is a "left wing extremist"(which he's not).

"Corbynistas"

^^^ Sun "reader" found

9 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

After a few months being used as currency in prison he has a new appreciation for the Greeks. Not sure what they invented, right enough.

9 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Olive oil.

Probably came in handy if he was being used as currency...

I wouldn't call them far right but they certainly are not centre right either. They probably the most right wing government we have had in a long time.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
4 hours ago, The Chief said:

I wouldn't call them far right but they certainly are not centre right either. They probably the most right wing government we have had in a long time.

It's probably the most right wing cabinet we've had in a while, but I personally don't see Johnson as more right wing than Theresa May. Things like Windrush were entirely down to May. It was also May who stopped foreign students being able to stay after graduation, which has been reversed this week.

I'd say May was more right wing than Johnson. She seems to genuinely hate non white/English people, he just seems to adopt whatever position personally enriches him. The Conservative party of the last few years however is unremittingly right wing, and frankly anyone who believes they're anywhere near the centre is either an absolute cretin or giving their mind a treat in order to justify their own squalid voting habits.

On 14/09/2019 at 11:18, bendan said:

It's probably the most right wing cabinet we've had in a while, but I personally don't see Johnson as more right wing than Theresa May. Things like Windrush were entirely down to May. It was also May who stopped foreign students being able to stay after graduation, which has been reversed this week.

8 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

I'd say May was more right wing than Johnson. She seems to genuinely hate non white/English people, he just seems to adopt whatever position personally enriches him. The Conservative party of the last few years however is unremittingly right wing, and frankly anyone who believes they're anywhere near the centre is either an absolute cretin or giving their mind a treat in order to justify their own squalid voting habits.

Not sure if immigration policy is the only/main indicator of right wing policy.

What worries me about Johnson is his unashamed populism which, allied to right wing politics, is very dangerous.

The comparison to the US is stark and accurate, there have been right wing Presidents before but none so willing to adopt a populist agenda which has led to a severe regression of rights in US domestic policy.

I think that there is nothing wrong or unhealthy about distinct political positions but populism seeks to create and reinforce divisions in society for political gain.  Hedge-fund managers who are happy to make billions from No Deal Brexit regardless of the impact on the wider economy and people’s lives will, and have, funded Johnson’s attempts at polarisation.

Johnson doesn't know why he does what he does. All he knows is that the same people who told Trump it would work are telling him the same (IMO)

There are some dangerous fucking people hard at work behind the scenes of US politics and it seems to me they are infiltrating the UK at a fair old rate.

Edit to add, none of the above is an excuse. Boris is a vindictive, horrible b*****d if the most vicious sort. But even racism would count as a moral for someone like him. A stand for something other than rampant, at all costs selfishness. His stance any issue is available to the highest bidder. You could proabbly get that fucking squib talking like Corbyn if you could deposit enough into his Cayman Islands account.

A man who likens women in niqabs as letterboxes, calls black people picaninnies with watermelon smiles, recites inappropriate Kipling poems inside a Burmese temple cannot count anti-racism among his qualities.

No I meant even if he stood behind his racism, it would be slightly more admirable than the poisonous jellyfish way he is the now. c**t would stitch his own granny up for a sniff at the next seat up.

36 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

A man who likens women in niqabs as letterboxes, calls black people picaninnies with watermelon smiles, recites inappropriate Kipling poems inside a Burmese temple cannot count anti-racism among his qualities.

The sad reality is that trying to fight or expose Johnson on that issue will have minimal impact.  The UK is full of borderline racists.

As the GE approaches the anti-Tory parties need to become more savvy.  I heard a Labour shadow minister talking about “the working class” this morning.  Most people don’t identify with working class.