The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

Raphael Gellar: How do you identify with Judaism and the state of Israel?

Tom Werner: My Jewish ancestors moved to America in the 17th century, but I have identified with Israel since I was a child. I lived in Jerusalem in 1971 when I made a documentary called Israel:One Day at a Time. I interviewed many Israelis and Palestinians, from politicians to bus drivers- including David Ben Gurion, whom I visited at his home in the Negev.

https://forward.com/news/israel/189937/tom-werner-juggles-roles-as-red-sox-and-liverpool/

George will be raging.

43 minutes ago, The OP said:

Can’t believe people are defending that tweet by saying GG was making a perfectly valid point about Israel’s domestic and foreign policy. Just, naw. :lol:

It was a bizarre tweet but it wasn’t anti-Semitic .

Galloway is a scumbag, a liar, a hypocrite, a fraud and a deeply unsavoury little man, but an anti-Semite he is not.

Edited by Hammer Jag

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Galloway is an arsehole but those quick to criticise him are reluctant to respond to simple questions.

Maybe @J_Stewart can explain how waiving an Israeli flag can be interpreted as something other than support for Israel.

In the context of the Tottenham support it’s mainly about embracing an insult and turning it into a unifier.

Same goes for Ajax.

7 minutes ago, The OP said:

In the context of the Tottenham support it’s mainly about embracing an insult and turning it into a unifier.

Same goes for Ajax.

Not sure where you read that one.  Obviously you feel it’s a clever justification; it’s not.

Flying the Israeli flag is a clear indication of support for Israel.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure where you read that one.  Obviously you feel it’s a clever justification; it’s not.

It’s a statement of shared identity, whether real or simply as perceived by others. You making condescending and emphatic statements to the contrary doesn't disprove that.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Do you think Rangers fans are expressing their love for the Israeli state, or are just having a go at Celtic fans and their habit of waving Palestinian flags? 

3 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

Would they make a statement of shared identity with something they don't support?

They revel in their yiddishness because their perceived Jewishness has historically been a point of abuse. This is why they chant yid army rather than songs about the state of Israel. They may be in favour of or be indifferent to the Israeli state’s right to exist but that isn’t the primary motivation for their flag waving.

Edited by The OP

4 minutes ago, The OP said:

It’s a statement of shared identity, whether real or simply as perceived by others. You making condescending and emphatic statements to the contrary doesn't disprove that.

Certainly no more condescending than yours.  

Nothing pro-Zionists like more than to blur the lines between Jews and Zionists then falsely accuse people of deliberately crossing that line.  One can be Jewish without showing support for Israel; anyone who chooses to show such support is fair game for any criticism that they receive.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

They revel in their yiddishness because their perceived Jewishness has historically been a point of abuse. This is why they chant yid army rather than songs about the state of Israel. They may be in favour of or be indifferent to the Israeli state’s right to exist but that isn’t the primary motivation for their flag waving.

So why not wave a Yiddish flag rather than a Zionist one?

2 minutes ago, The OP said:

Maybe they should try keeping religion away from football.  Maybe Sevco and Celtic fans should also do so too.

2 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

So why not wave a Yiddish flag rather than a Zionist one?

Is there such a thing and would it work as such a simple shorthand?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Maybe they should try keeping religion away from football.  Maybe Sevco and Celtic fans should also do so too.

Maybe they should. Maybe George Galloway should avoid making tweets about football based upon his prejudices. Seems like you’re just distracting from the discussion at hand with whataboutery and ad hominem.  

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Maybe they should. Maybe George Galloway should avoid making tweets about football based upon his prejudices. Seems like you’re just distracting from the discussion at hand with whataboutery and ad hominem.  

You’re struggling to keep your position straight and you accuse me of whataboutery.  :lol:  You mention chants of Yid Army and I said maybe they should keep religion out of football.

Also you still haven’t clarified why support for “Jewishness” is the same as support for Israel.  Though probably that’s because there is no justifiable clarification.