The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

12 hours ago, BTFD said:

I'd been wondering why anything right-wingers don't like had become "Marxism" in recent years; I think you may have nailed it there, and I feel a bit naive for not realising earlier.

There are a number of well-loved celebrities whose reputation endures largely due to their early death.

After frying his brain with heroin for years, Kurt Cobain would've been a paranoid conspiracy theorist by now, convinced that the federal government was coming to take his guns, and amplifying grifters' tales of crisis actors and false flag shootings.

I'm pretty sure we could add Bob Marley to the list were he still alive today, no way was he taking a vaccine

For Cobain - bib wouldn't have been such a bad idea given that he blew is own heid aff

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

15 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

McCarthyism is back and it’s being peddled by people even stupider than before. 

Was this the fantasy about being a walrus? 

Sounds like a decent religion, as far as religions go. Could do without the narcissism but marxism and paganism are both way better than christianity etc. 

On 21/05/2023 at 15:59, carpetmonster said:

Good piece from Nesrine Malik; sticking it here but it could have just as easily gone in the Tory Lies or Labour's Pointless threads

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/21/tories-opposition-danger-national-conservatism-conference-rightwing

That’s almost unreadable. The guardian needs to employ people who can write.

This is one sentence:

“The values ecosystem, populated by a majority rightwing media, gullible and compromised institutions such as the BBC and the vocal representatives of well funded, opaque thinktanks such as Policy Exchange and the Legatum Institute (both represented at the conference) has successfully blocked any change in attitudes from materialising in the form of policy or a progressive political programme. “

A maze of parentheses and sub clauses. Rubbish.

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Waters did not sport a costume resembling an SS officer and omitted a controversial comparison between Israel and the Nazis at his Birmingham concert Wednesday, after attracting criticism and sparking a German police probe for such acts during previous legs of the tour.

Without looking I'd wager a large amount of cash that he's hard Brexit, Trump man.

6 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Roger Waters did not sport a costume resembling an SS officer and omitted a controversial comparison between Israel and the Nazis at his Birmingham concert Wednesday, after attracting criticism and sparking a German police probe for such acts during previous legs of the tour.

Without looking I'd wager a large amount of cash that he's hard Brexit, Trump man.

He is neither of those things.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

At his concerts in Germany, he projected onto screens the following names of victims of state murder, I've added the nation that murdered them:

George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Philando Castile - USA

Shireen Abu Akleh, Rachel Corrie - Israel

Sophie Scholl, Anne Frank - Germany

Blair Peach - UK

Mahsa Amini - Iran

Stanislav Tomas - Czech Republic

Mawda Shawri - Belgium

Adama Traore - France

Peach, Corrie and Scholl were each murdered for opposing the state targeting of an ethnic group. The rest were all murdered for being a member of a state targeted ethnic group.

The two named victims of the German state, Scholl and Frank, were murdered by the Nazi government. So, yes, Waters equivalated between those two specific Nazi murders and the two specific Israeli murders of Abu Akleh and Corrie. The thing is, though, he also equivalated between those two Nazi murders and the highlighted murders by USA, UK, Iran, Czech Republic, Belgium and France. So I'm unsure how Israel became the special sausages here. Cynical reporting.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

At his concerts in Germany, he projected onto screens the following names of victims of state murder, I've added the nation that murdered them:

Blair Peach - UK

Mahsa Amini - Iran

Mawda Shawri - Belgium

Adama Traore - France

Peach, Corrie and Scholl were each murdered for opposing the state targeting of an ethnic group. The rest were all murdered for being a member of a state targeted ethnic group.

The two named victims of the German state, Scholl and Frank, were murdered by the Nazi government. So, yes, Waters equivalated between those two specific Nazi murders and the two specific Israeli murders of Abu Akleh and Corrie. The thing is, though, he also equivalated between those two Nazi murders and the highlighted murders by USA, UK, Iran, Czech Republic, Belgium and France. So I'm unsure how Israel became the special sausages here. Cynical reporting.

OK, I get it. Pork.

Funny.

Waters had a lot to say about Russia's invasion of Ukraine earlier this year. Personally, I thought his takes were terrible and I consider him one of the few public figures who the label "Putin apologist" can be fairly applied to. Media criticism of him on that issue was entirely on what he had said and done. Which is surely reasonable.

Yet with this current criticism of him, we're being implored to imagine something of him despite what he actually did being something else. It's being demanded we imagine him to be antisemitic when what he did was highlight specific instances of wrongoing by the Israeli state. If we accept that premise then its going to make public discussion of Israeli wrongdoing very difficult. 

As much as I cannot be doing with Waters World view, while recognising his songwriting genius, he is playing a character from The Wall on stage. There is nothing sinister about it, he hates Nazis because they killed his father.

On 03/06/2023 at 00:51, FreedomFarter said:

Blair Peach - UK

Mahsa Amini - Iran

Mawda Shawri - Belgium

Adama Traore - France

Is "equivalated" a real word? 

Spellcheck thinks so. 

I like it

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Is "equivalated" a real word? 

Spellcheck thinks so. 

I like it

Collins Dictionary has it as a "suggested word" submitted by another user, but doesn't itself have it as a word in the dictionary.

It probably should be.

It's probably not a word then. I forgot the rule that if you wouldn't say something in conversation then don't type it in text.