The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

13 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Kanye West is profoundly mentally ill. 

Either that or he's doing some performance art, burning up his money KLF thing. It's quite fun him going on the Alex Jones show and saying something too extreme even for him. And arranging a meet for a holocaust denying white supremacist with Trump. You're probably right though.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Either that or he's doing some performance art, burning up his money KLF thing. It's quite fun him going on the Alex Jones show and saying something too extreme even for him. And arranging a meet for a holocaust denying white supremacist with Trump. You're probably right though.

There was a point that i thought ‘ha this fuckers just trolling everyone’ but no hes genuinely off his fucking rocker. There are significant issues with this guy, hes going to end up hurting people. Ive seen people sectioned for even just a fraction of that shit. 

On 29/11/2022 at 00:56, Salt n Vinegar said:

Hmmm... Must confess to being a bit conflicted here. 

What's the difference between paying fees and moving into the catchment area of a "better" state school by buying an expensive home that "ordinary" folk couldn't afford? As I heard (dunno if it's true) that a Labour education convener in Edinburgh did... Boroughmuir, I seem to recall. 

Will the state also ban aspirational parents from buying extra-curricular tuition for their kids? If it is not tax free presumably that unfair advantage for the parents of better off kids is fine and dandy. So that's ok then. Is it? Taking away the vat aspect purifies the inequality? Don't think so. 

Education - like (laughably) religion - has been seen in tax terms as a public good, therefore justifiably in receipt of tax breaks. If questionable benefits to wider society are the the determining factor for tax breaks I'd much rather that religion lost its tax advantages first.  

I am a member of a Scottish charity which has education as a major aspect of its charitable status justification and none of it relies on myths and legends or claiming knowledge about the origins of the universe that, frankly, no mammal can possibly "know" to be true.  Maths and physics delivered in a particular sort of school - no tax break. Burning bushes, talking snakes and women turning into salt - tax break? GTF! 🤣

Yes, drink has been taken. Danger of a rant developing so I'm off to my kip! 

Oidhche mhath! 

Private school fees don’t just pay for education services. They also pay for bed and board and a whole raft of other activities which are only loosely “educational “.

I agree that education is a social good  to a degree but inequality has a cost. Education is also a private good for the person receiving it. Absolutely no social benefit has come from the likes of Boris Johnson being expensively tutored in dead languages but he’s done well out of it.

Charging VAT gives only 1/6 of the cost back to society. 

On 30/11/2022 at 12:04, BFTD said:

Been a while since I've seen "I'll never forgive the Jocks for what they did to our Nigel" post. BBC HYS used to be full of them.

Anyway, I noticed that the top story on the Beeb's website yesterday was about how less than half of England and Wales aren't Christian now, with the second line claiming a "steep rise" in the Muslim population. Turns out that the big story is that there's been a huge, directly proportional swing of about 20% from Christian to "No Religion" over the past twenty years. The Muslim population has increased from 4.9% to 6.5%. The phrase "pandering" springs to mind; they were trying to feed into the far-right replacement theory bollocks, apparently quite successfully considering the number of views.

I see they've edited it to appear less race-baity: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63792408

R4 this morning was majoring on Leicester becoming majority non white. Why pretend it’s about religion when they can get straight to it.

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

R4 this morning was majoring on Leicester becoming majority non white. Why pretend it’s about religion when they can get straight to it.

I’ve no problem with a non-white majority.  I’ve a big problem with a religious fuckwit majority.

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve no problem with a non-white majority.  I’ve a big problem with a religious fuckwit majority.

I expect that the same people who have an issue with non white populations are largely the same people who think the British Empire was great but lack the critical faculties to connect the two things.