The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I remember patiently waiting in a shop in a shop in Peterhead for a couple of shop girls to finish chatting in Polish to each other so I could get served. Turned out they were talking Doric and one of them switched to standard Scots to help me out.

A shop in a shop!  Did they sell Russian dolls?

5 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Lol at the thought of a 999 call handler being bamboozled by someone asking for the polieas or poilis.

Presumably the same made up person who has no idea what one one these vehicles is.

image.thumb.png.c5f2bf2c3cc00b0b27e593c277fb56ee.png

Can guarantee folk phone 999 and speak Scots every day of the week. That guy has basically wasted a lot of ink with his ramblings.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Can guarantee folk phone 999 and speak Scots every day of the week. That guy has basically wasted a lot of ink with his ramblings.

"We have someone on the line who wants to talk Polish or talk to somebody who is Polish or something like that.  Honestly I don't know what he is on about."

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I remember patiently waiting in a shop in a shop in Peterhead for a couple of shop girls to finish chatting in Polish to each other so I could get served. Turned out they were talking Doric and one of them switched to standard Scots to help me out.

I've mentioned this before but I "translate" for my missus when we go up the road 

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

"We have someone on the line who wants to talk Polish or talk to somebody who is Polish or something like that.  Honestly I don't know what he is on about."

Fit like Fulereny?

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fit like Fulereny?

I have got this stuff for cleaning my shoes but I don't know what to do with it so I called 999 to see if they could help.

Don't think they understood me.

Edited by Fullerene

The Tories have banned Joe, the Irish media agency from their hustings because they don't like their reporting style.

I wonder how historical attempts at controlling the media have gone?

1 hour ago, 101 said:

The Tories have banned Joe, the Irish media agency from their hustings because they don't like their reporting style.

I wonder how historical attempts at controlling the media have gone?

The BBC have pretty well caved to them and they'll probably sell Channel 4 to the people behind GB News or similar.

Edited by welshbairn

On 27/08/2022 at 13:56, Duries Air Freshener said:

Thanks for the link mate, but it still seems an awful lot of effort.

Books on language can be dry but Duolingo is decent provided you keep it going. I've been doing Spanish (as we go there a couple of times a year)  for the last year and enjoying it. Duolingo is a nice way to wind down at the end of the day for 10 minutes and keep the brain ticking.  It's not much effort and I've  also found listening to Spanish Football podcasts is good in helping the understanding and pronunciations.

I'd like to do the Gaelic Duolingo as well.

23 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Books on language can be dry but Duolingo is decent provided you keep it going. I've been doing Spanish (as we go there a couple of times a year)  for the last year and enjoying it. Duolingo is a nice way to wind down at the end of the day for 10 minutes and keep the brain ticking.  It's not much effort and I've  also found listening to Spanish Football podcasts is good in helping the understanding and pronunciations.

Do you prefer using it on your phone or laptop? Off to Sicily next month and don't want to seem a total numpty, last time I was there English wasn't as commonly spoken as parts of Spain, think they see it as rude if you don't at least make an effort.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you prefer using it on your phone or laptop? Off to Sicily next month and don't want to seem a total numpty, last time I was there English wasn't as commonly spoken as parts of Spain, think they see it as rude if you don't at least make an effort.

I use it on my phone as that's portable and easy to work with in the evening. I usually have that along with a good translator app, failing that Google Translate when I am in Spain.  In June we were in the Basque Country where although Euskara (which is a difficult language) is spoken widely,  basic conversational Spanish is fine and will get you by as an English speaker. Also if the locals see you making an effort you'll do just fine. Was a similar experience in Catalonia where if you can converse some basics in standard Spanish the locals are really nice. 

46 minutes ago, AndyM said:

The Gaelic Duolingo is quite good. I have a long streak (Matron! 😳) and have been in the Diamond League for ages but must confess that I do a lot of revision these days and not as much new material as I should. 

As with any language, getting regular conversation helps so if you can find some native speakers or advanced, fluent learners it will really help.  Stick to them like glue. The TV series, "Speak Gaelic" is quite good fun, with yon Joy Dunlop who does the weather on BBC. 

23 minutes ago, AndyM said:

I use it on my phone as that's portable and easy to work with in the evening. I usually have that along with a good translator app, failing that Google Translate when I am in Spain.  In June we were in the Basque Country where although Euskara (which is a difficult language) is spoken widely,  basic conversational Spanish is fine and will get you by as an English speaker. Also if the locals see you making an effort you'll do just fine. Was a similar experience in Catalonia where if you can converse some basics in standard Spanish the locals are really nice. 

(Off topic but it's nice to have a break from discussing nutters) I quite like the look of this lot https://www.ouinolanguages.com/italian/

Free introduction below, 3 months for £11 or £82 for life.

I see Lawrence Fox has resurrected his acting career in a film produced by Breitbart News, "My Son Hunter". Available for free if you're prepared to give Breitbart your email address. Looks bad enough to be pretty funny.

30 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I see Lawrence Fox has resurrected his acting career in a film produced by Breitbart News, "My Son Hunter". Available for free if you're prepared to give Breitbart your email address. Looks bad enough to be pretty funny.

‘I’ll never be nearly as good as my father so I will try to mask my utter failure by being a c**t.’

Has only partially worked Larry.