The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

9 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Nothing about us being overrun then.  More fool me for clicking into the links.

That's what I'm getting at.. you lot love to use hyperbolic and misleading language to try and mischaracterise people.

This makes rational discussion impossible.

See this is where ye went wrong. You clicked the links but didn't read what was said. I never used any misleading or hyperbolic language. However, the very first link, discusses how tabloid and mid-market newspapers purposefully did use midleading and hyperbolic language. I can only presume you skipped it. However I've screen grabbed and it and it has the example of hyperbole and misleading language in bold.

Happy to help

image.thumb.png.274c26d9aa672e45aa5a73bd2bd786b3.png

33 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Overswum then. And being this forum’s biggest arse by an enormous distance makes any discussion pointless. I’m only bothering in case there’s anyone who didn’t click and thinks you may be even a fraction of a percentage point on the level 

64511A5D-9785-482D-A96D-3B4CE2D5B7E8.png

Was that actually in The Sun?  I suspect not.  Any sources seem to be 2nd hand from Novinite, which is little more than a comic.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't back Snaffles' incorrect assertion that we were told we were 'going to be overrun by Romanians'.

And as for the personal insults, I'm not being drawn in.  If you want to trade insults, then you'll have to look elsewhere.  Sorry to disappoint.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

3 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Was that actually in The Sun?  I suspect not.  Any sources seem to be 2nd hand from Novinite, which is little more than a comic.

Nevertheless, it still doesn't back Snaffles' incorrect assertion that we told we were 'going to be overrun by Romanians'.

And as for the personal insults, I'm not being drawn in.  If you want to trade insults, then you'll have to look elsewhere.  Sorry to disappoint.

It’s an archive of The Sun’s article. It says that on the picture. I’m starting to think you’re actually a left-wing plant trying to convince people that right wingers are actually this thick. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

It’s an archive of The Sun’s article. It says that on the picture. I’m starting to think you’re actually a left-wing plant trying to convince people that right wingers are actually this thick. 

It says it, but I can't find any other record of it other than those which credit Novinite.

32 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

See this is where ye went wrong. You clicked the links but didn't read what was said. I never used any misleading or hyperbolic language. However, the very first link, discusses how tabloid and mid-market newspapers purposefully did use midleading and hyperbolic language. I can only presume you skipped it. However I've screen grabbed and it and it has the example of hyperbole and misleading language in bold.

Happy to help

image.thumb.png.274c26d9aa672e45aa5a73bd2bd786b3.png

Unfortunately I did indeed waste my time by reading the text, which didn't back up Snaffles' claim.

You're now attempting to divert the topic onto the media in general.

46 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Nevertheless, it still doesn't back Snaffles' incorrect assertion that we were told we were 'going to be overrun by Romanians'.

Yes. It was in The Sun. This article from 2014 directly quotes teh Sun's article and it happens to be the exact same wording as the Novinite archive of the same article. 

And, snafu's assertion is backed up in the language in many of links I sent you that you never bothered reading using the same misleading and inflammatroy language you so detest:

"When the two groups appeared together, they were most often described in relation to migration issues. Furthermore, tabloid and broadsheet coverage exhibited anticipation of a certain magnitude of migration from these countries, as well as the need to curb future migration. The variety of figures circulated was particularly striking, given the relative lack of data regarding the actual scale of migration from Romania and Bulgaria since January 2014."

Can you explain to the rest of the class, some of whom may doubt you're acting in good faith, how articles that repeatedly discuss mass immigration, and the need to curb that immigration, whilst using inflammatory language such as "flood" and "flock" are not referring to being overrun by immigrants? Are you actually so dense you either need to read the exact phrase "overrun by Romanians" in an article to decide that is what the article is discussing or are you so obtuse you refuse to accept that is what the article is discussing without that exact phrase? In either case, if there was an article that discussed, literally, being "overrun by Romanians" would you then admit you were incorrect and not Snafu?

37 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Yes. It was in The Sun. This article from 2014 directly quotes teh Sun's article and it happens to be the exact same wording as the Novinite archive of the same article. 

And, snafu's assertion is backed up in the language in many of links I sent you that you never bothered reading using the same misleading and inflammatroy language you so detest:

"When the two groups appeared together, they were most often described in relation to migration issues. Furthermore, tabloid and broadsheet coverage exhibited anticipation of a certain magnitude of migration from these countries, as well as the need to curb future migration. The variety of figures circulated was particularly striking, given the relative lack of data regarding the actual scale of migration from Romania and Bulgaria since January 2014."

Can you explain to the rest of the class, some of whom may doubt you're acting in good faith, how articles that repeatedly discuss mass immigration, and the need to curb that immigration, whilst using inflammatory language such as "flood" and "flock" are not referring to being overrun by immigrants? Are you actually so dense you either need to read the exact phrase "overrun by Romanians" in an article to decide that is what the article is discussing or are you so obtuse you refuse to accept that is what the article is discussing without that exact phrase? In either case, if there was an article that discussed, literally, being "overrun by Romanians" would you then admit you were incorrect and not Snafu?

Sorry Asim, but we don't know it's quoting The Sun at all, and I've already explained my rationale behind this.

Snaffles' assertion isn't backed up, as none of these links back up his claim that the media said we were about to be overrun by Romanians.  We weren't told this.

It's not about the exact phrase being used, but the media didn't actually claim anything like it.  Check the definition of 'overrun'.

My beef isn't with media sensationalism, but sensationalism from you lot.

You've even completely twisted the words of one of the links yourself, blatantly mischaracterising the words of Philippa Roe in the Daily Mail article.  She never said Romanians would be shitting on your doorstep at all, but spoke of actions that had already taken place.

I'm not going to resort to your level by throwing insults, but are you not embarrassed by this?

10 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Sorry Asim, but we don't know it's quoting The Sun at all, and I've already explained my rationale behind this.

Well we do. Unless you think it's entirely a coincidence a piece from the same time quoting The Sun somehow magically used the exact same words as a piece that pretended to be The Sun after the fact.

You actually haven't given any rationale other than "I don't believe it."

You are obviously a fool.

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

You know fine that there was reports of a "tidal wave", "a flood" and being "swamped" - the last one from the NI secretary no less. 

You know fine that disproportionately negative and sensationalist news stories about migrants are published regularly.

We all know that you know. 

I hope you're enjoying the attention as you contribute in your pathetic incel way to making the world a worse place. I have two mixed race children whose future i worry about because of xenophobic dog whistle shite like this. 

I'm not trying to debate in good faith nor convince you of anything. 

I just want to let you know why i think you're a c**t. 

When deliberating over whether to reply meaningfully to your post, a phrase springs to mind:

’Never wrestle with a chimney sweep, you’ll only end up dirty’.

So on that basis, I’m out.

32 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Well we do. Unless you think it's entirely a coincidence a piece from the same time quoting The Sun somehow magically used the exact same words as a piece that pretended to be The Sun after the fact.

You actually haven't given any rationale other than "I don't believe it."

You are obviously a fool.

I think this is entirely possible when it comes to the comic that is Novanite.

Thanks for the insult though.  I am indeed a fool for wasting time reading those links, which don’t purport what you claim.

Youve been caught red handed twisting the words of Philippa Roe, which is unfortunate to say the least.

11 hours ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Snaffles' assertion isn't backed up, as none of these links back up his claim that the media said we were about to be overrun by Romanians.  We weren't told this.

It's not about the exact phrase being used, but the media didn't actually claim anything like it.  Check the definition of 'overrun'.

My beef isn't with media sensationalism, but sensationalism from you lot.

You've even completely twisted the words of one of the links yourself, blatantly mischaracterising the words of Philippa Roe in the Daily Mail article.  She never said Romanians would be shitting on your doorstep at all, but spoke of actions that had already taken place.

I'm not going to resort to your level by throwing insults, but are you not embarrassed by this?

You don't half get up to semantics.

Of course a country with a population of about 20m can't 'overrun' a country of 65m but you're just playing silly buggers by picking on one word rather than the broad point. Shame on you. I'd expect better of you.*

*Only kidding. I'd never expect better of you.

9 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

You don't half get up to semantics.

Of course a country with a population of about 20m can't 'overrun' a country of 65m but you're just playing silly buggers by picking on one word rather than the broad point. Shame on you. I'd expect better of you.*

*Only kidding. I'd never expect better of you.

Positive result on the scales today SD, well done.  I've gone the other way over the past few weeks!

The point was predicated on the claim that we were told we'd be overrun, which was incorrect.  Farage et al were careful with their words at the time.  All that happened was that some politicians/media talked up something that fitted their agenda, the same as happens across the board.

Many left wingers think nothing of twisting language, hence Asim's blatant falsehood about Philippa Roe.

19 minutes ago, Snafu said:

For anyone wanting to hear that classic Nigel Farage (is not a racist) interview on the 16th May 2014 with LBC including his carefully chosen words at the time on the subject of Romanians.

image.jpeg.ad2f2e5dfdc4c160da560e838e795b25.jpegkey_UKIP_Leaflet.jpg.78c0a92fff77d703941b68ecef84db0c.jpg

UKIP's carefully chosen posters from 2014 and 2010 very convincing on the debate on whether the careful Farage is careful with not just his words but also careful during his time as leader of UKIP back then carefully chose how UKIP carefully promoted themselves as the only careful voice of reason when it came to immigration. Definitely not racist, nope.

They also hate us jocks 

1533598F-137C-4160-8933-ECDCCCD7F503.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Positive result on the scales today SD, well done.  I've gone the other way over the past few weeks!

The point was predicated on the claim that we were told we'd be overrun, which was incorrect.  Farage et al were careful with their words at the time.  All that happened was that some politicians/media talked up something that fitted their agenda, the same as happens across the board.

Many left wingers think nothing of twisting language, hence Asim's blatant falsehood about Philippa Roe.

Aye, wont be long until I'm not classed as overweight by the ridiculous BMI calculator. You're obviously not getting the time to go out running.