The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Claiming asylum isn't illegal. 

I haven't heard of Swedes being subject to people trafficking, clan blood feuds and organised crime syndicates hunting them down either. Would be a bit weird if a wee lassie who's been on the end of years of physical and sexual abuse at the hands of Europe's largest people traffickers was able to make her mistake then stopped at the border because she realised the criminal gang that had sold her off to the highest bidder kept her passport. 

I would imagine if you or I went to Albania we wouldn't be claiming asylum, etc.

You haven’t answered my point.

Albania is about to join the EU and therefore must have everything that a civilised democracy should have.

We should, in my opinion, not be granting asylum to Albanians.

6 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Where are all the diabetics, disabled and the very elderly regugees? Why is it you never see any of them fleeing wars by crossing the Sahara, the Mediterranean then the busiest shipping lane in the world on a lilo? Mainly just fit young ish men isn't it?

WHY??

Someone needs to warn Priti of this impending menace

sandroller-giant-wheeled-beach-wheelchai

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You haven’t answered my point.

Albania is about to join the EU and therefore must have everything that a civilised democracy should have.

We should, in my opinion, not be granting asylum to Albanians.

So you're saying that, despite there being people trafficking, clan blood feuds and organised crime in Albania we shouldn't offer asylum to people at risk of torture and death from these issues because they are about to join the EU?

That's fucking weird. 

"Yeah. If we send you back to Albania you will be raped, beaten and shot but, on the other hand, your country is currently in negotiations to join the EU so we have to send you back because, in theory, you can work legally Slovenia in the next five years if you survive that long. Good luck."

The Albanians probably want to come here as they see the US and the UK as heroes and good guys for the work they done in northern Albania(Kosovo) protecting them against the Serbs. I really liked Albania the country and the people and found it nothing like the gangster ridden shithole from the movies.

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

The Albanians probably want to come here as they see the US and the UK as heroes and good guys for the work they done in northern Albania(Kosovo) protecting them against the Serbs. I really liked Albania the country and the people and found it nothing like the gangster ridden shithole from the movies.

I guess over 40% of the population having English as a foreign language helps as well. Greek and Italian are also fairly widely spoken in Albania and, being closer, Greece and Italy also take more Albanian refugees.

Almost as if when forced to leave your home the preference is to go somewhere you can speak the language

11 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I guess over 40% of the population having English as a foreign language helps as well. Greek and Italian are also fairly widely spoken in Albania and, being closer, Greece and Italy also take more Albanian refugees.

Almost as if when forced to leave your home the preference is to go somewhere you can speak the language

kjo është thjesht një bisedë e çmendur

26 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Anyone remember back in 2007 when we were going to be overrun with Romanians?

Same wild stories from the same xenophobic media.

The UK is continuing head down a very depressing route.

Mind the media hinging oot at Stansted on January 1st to film the hundreds of Romanians who were gonna appear now they had free travel throughout the EU and one Romanian got aff the first plane and he had already been living in England for years? Great stuff

5 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Don't remember anyone saying we were going to be overrun with Romanians.

Weird. It was genuinely massive news.

Anyway Here's the macro data

Here's a snippet of the full page advert Farage took out in the Daily Telegraph

Nigel Farage Was 'Tired Out' When He Made 'Romanian Neighbours', As Ukip  Takes Out Full-Page Telegraph Advert | HuffPost UK Politics

A blog from LSE highlighting the discrepancy between reporting of the issue and reality

Some Tory warning the Romanians will be shiting on yer doorstep

Telegraph warning about those pesky Romanians and Bulgarian hordes arriving

The Sun talking absolute shite about Romanians and Bulgarians

Petition with over 150,000 signatures demanding a stop to immigration for Romanians and Bulgarians

As I said, absolutely massive news, on telly every night. All over the newspapers. Really weird ye never noticed it.

And also it didn't happen anyway - only 4% of the people who left Romania when it joined the EU.  https://www.debatingeurope.eu/2014/02/26/waves-bulgarian-romanian-immigrants/#.Yvara3bMJPY

If they didn't want to come in 2014, I'm absolutely fucked as to why they'd want to now. Maybe they want to Romexit?

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

And also it didn't happen anyway - only 4% of the people who left Romania when it joined the EU.  https://www.debatingeurope.eu/2014/02/26/waves-bulgarian-romanian-immigrants/#.Yvara3bMJPY

If they didn't want to come in 2014, I'm absolutely fucked as to why they'd want to now. Maybe they want to Romexit?

I was seeing a Romanian lassie at the time and the UK had restricted travel for Romanians unless they met a few check list points. Certain amount in the bank account, evidence a job offer, etc. But this wasn't the case in Italy, where language was less of an issue, or Germany, which already had a decent sized Romanian population. Basically anyone who wanted to leave Romania by then had left and, if you really wanted to go to the UK instead, it was easy to do so with a little work. The idea that hundreds of thousands of Romanians already settled in latin Europe or Germany would suddenly give all that up to sign on in Coatbridge was fucking mental.

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I was seeing a Romanian lassie at the time and the UK had restricted travel for Romanians unless they met a few check list points. Certain amount in the bank account, evidence a job offer, etc. But this wasn't the case in Italy, where language was less of an issue, or Germany, which already had a decent sized Romanian population. Basically anyone who wanted to leave Romania by then had left and, if you really wanted to go to the UK instead, it was easy to do so with a little work. The idea that hundreds of thousands of Romanians already settled in latin Europe or Germany would suddenly give all that up to sign on in Coatbridge was fucking mental.

Surely they're stealing dugs rather than signing on? Farage might be a big liar liar pants on fire, but it's all over my Facebook group. 

35 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Nothing about us being overrun then.  More fool me for clicking into the links.

That's what I'm getting at.. you lot love to use hyperbolic and misleading language to try and mischaracterise people.

This makes rational discussion impossible.

5 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Nothing about us being overrun then.  More fool me for clicking into the links.

That's what I'm getting at.. you lot love to use hyperbolic and misleading language to try and mischaracterise people.

This makes rational discussion impossible.

Overswum then. And being this forum’s biggest arse by an enormous distance makes any discussion pointless. I’m only bothering in case there’s anyone who didn’t click and thinks you may be even a fraction of a percentage point on the level 

64511A5D-9785-482D-A96D-3B4CE2D5B7E8.png