The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

58 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

You're talking about a section of the population that is low on intelligence, fucking massive on BMI and likes to play dress up every July to get it up Roman Catholics because reasons. Were you expecting anything else? 

I challenge you to drop the bigotry and look at the subject with an open mind.

Are you up to the challenge?

2 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Flower of Scotland is about resisting conquest, not doing it.  

I don't like it at all as a national anthem, though. I remember voting A Man's a Man for A' That in an STV poll years ago suggesting alternatives. 

Yeah that's some of the context behind it and I'm sure OO members could argue historical context of why they feel their songs are appropriate as a celebration. 

I think most anthems are shite. My favourite Scottish song is Caledonia but maybe not the best to get a crowd going. 

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

I don't think the song was intentionally written to be a national anthem but rather it was adapted as such. Who made that decision anyway?

Its a song that hasn't dated very well. Maybe we should just go for an instrumental piece next time we want to adapt a new national anthem, go for something by Mogwai or Primal Scream.

DJ Cammy imo. 

5 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

This is called moving the goalposts after you've misunderstood something to save face on a football forum. Not a good look MnM. 

Well it would do if you're afraid of balance. 

I'm glad we can agree both are a bit odd. I'll leave you to start the thread, it sounds remarkably boring. 

Youre the one that introduced the false equivalence of singing a song with targeted marching at a religious group.

Im merely replacing the goal posts to where they were.

All on a football forum.

6 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

This is called moving the goalposts after you've misunderstood something to save face on a football forum. Not a good look MnM. 

Well it would do if you're afraid of balance. 

I'm glad we can agree both are a bit odd. I'll leave you to start the thread, it sounds remarkably boring. 

You brought up the subject of national anthems being out of date matey.

12 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I challenge you to drop the bigotry and look at the subject with an open mind.

Are you up to the challenge?

Surely you mean "Do I want to waste my time debating with an obvious troll"

No m8. 

f**k the f**k off. 

I have actually witnessed a more tragic celebration of historical battles than Orange marches. 

At Faslane, the navy brass had a big formal dinner to celebrate Trafalgar day. After a lot of port, they had two massive chocolate old fashioned boats with rigging and everything, one with french and spanish flags and the other with british. They got carried in opposite directions around the room and when they passed at the top table people walking round fired party poppers from each boat at the other. The French/Spanish boat then had sparklers lit on board and got gradually lowered to much whooping and hollering. 

Gammons are fucking weird. 

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Youre the one that introduced the false equivalence of singing a song with targeted marching at a religious group.

Im merely replacing the goal posts to where they were.

All on a football forum.

It's not a false equivalence because you've missed the actual comparison being made. 

You not understanding something doesn't make it wrong, it makes you wrong. 

All on football forum. 

7 minutes ago, Big Rider said:

You brought up the subject of national anthems being out of date matey.

Aye as a passing comment, it's not a subject that turns me on so to speak. 

1 minute ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

No, I mean if you're up to the challenge of dropping the bigotry and looking at the subject with an open mind.

Again, are you up to it?

How would I even "Drop the bigotry"?

Machine-gunning an Orange March would undoubtedly achieve that, but is possibly a little extreme and sadly illegal. 

Anyway, as I said, I have absolutely no intention of debating anything with a bad faith trolling wee arsehole.

Enjoy your afternoon m8.

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

How would I even "Drop the bigotry"?

Machine-gunning an Orange March would undoubtedly achieve that, but is possibly a little extreme and sadly illegal. 

Anyway, as I said, I have absolutely no intention of debating anything with a bad faith trolling wee arsehole.

Enjoy your afternoon m8.

How would you drop the bigotry?  By realising that those with different cultural traditions, mindsets and opinions to you aren't 'the other'.

Once you realise that, and show kindness toward them as a result, you'll live a happier life.

Just now, Snafu said:

Staunch is just another word who's meaning can be modified by context.

I think the Orange Order somewhere will come under fire soon enough when it finds itself in court trying to justify its lack of inclusiveness.

Someone will challenge it.

There is no lack of inclusiveness.

Anyone who subscribes to our beliefs is free to join.  Same as any other political or religious organisations.

4 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Anyone who subscribes to our beliefs is free to join.  Same as any other political or religious organisations.

Really ? My last interaction with a member of your organisation was not exactly an advert for broad mindedness..

"So yer an athiest? That's worse than bein' a pape."

23 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Its in definite need of modernising so maybe instead of celebrating the winning of a battle it should celebrate the end of the fighting in Ireland, celebrate the peace which would encourage a wider range of potential members to the Orange Order. Plus on the marches instead of coins being thrown or spitting on children, flowers and Quality Street/Heroes will be thrown to the crowds. The music needs to be changed as well, comes across a bit 'Flower of Scotland' with the lame battle themes and should be changed to something more inclusive, get some positive dance music in there. In time the colour orange will come to be associated with peace and hugs all round.

I’ve already explained it’s not just about the winning of a battle.

Coins and spitting?  Lame battle music?  Dance music?  Jings, crivvens, help ma’ boab!

1 hour ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

I'm sure the KKK probably say the same thing!!