The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

On 16/09/2021 at 13:27, welshbairn said:

John Whittingdale got sacked yesterday for being too soft, it will be wall to wall...........Love thy Neighbour.

Ahhh Lefty racists. The best kind.

Surely they'll bring back Alf Garnett for 'balance'.

4 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Might be an age thing but I always thought the same. Not just I don't get it but it's actively dreadful comedy 

Like all of these sitcoms in the so called golden era there were a couple of funny episodes but the rest were repetitive and boring. As soon as the writers got a second series they'd just pad them out with any old shite between catchphrases.

Edited by welshbairn

OFAH was excellent. When it wasn't funny it was endearing and engaging. Sometimes it was actually moving. A well written, well cast and we'll acted show. 

Back on topic, I used to think that Piers Morgan was the most reactionary and right wing part of the GMB show, but watching Susannah ask Shamima Begum why she couldn't just go and live in Bangladesh as she had Bangladeshi heritage was fucking breathtaking. 

I reckon my antipathy towards Only Fools and Horses stems from my parents having apparently found a way when I was a kid of scheduling their channel-switching so that they could watch a solid four-hour block (upped to eight in early retirement) of nothing except Only Fools and Horses. Given it appeared to have several cable channels dedicated to showing nothing else, it probably wasn’t difficult.

39 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Gotta keep the grift going 

Before your link loaded, when all I could see was “gotta keep the grift going”, I was genuinely unsure whether a story about Andrew Neill, George Galloway, Laurence Fox, or Nigel Farage would pop up. 

It's crowdfunded, scripted by a couple who've never written fiction before, directed by Johnson from Die Hard, and starring an appalling grifter.

I'm going with tax dodge and/or money laundering. Released for free on YouTube as "the film The Man doesn't want you to see!"

2 hours ago, Ex-pat Scotty said:

Why is that so controversial? It's not as if the general population want her to come back to the UK.

The issue isn't (or at least shouldn't be) what the general public want. 

The part you highlighted was crass and obtuse, but wasn't the worst line of questioning. The girl wants to come back to the place where she grew up and has connections (i.e. home), there ought to be conditions to this, given she may be a huge security risk. Susannah presented the option of going to live in a country she didn't know and had no connections.

The worst part of the interview was "real life Partridge" Richard Madley reminding her (and us) apropos of absolutely nothing, that all the children she gave birth to had died. He then asked her how this had happened. 

The whole interview was done in bad faith and just seemed vicious.