The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

28 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

I found this on what appears, from a cursory glance, to be an objective, reputable site:

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/classical_liberalism.htm

The salient paragraph, which summarises the essence of liberalism is:

'It advocates civil liberties with a limited government under the rule of law, private property, and belief in laissez-faire economic policy.'

The good old 19th century!

41 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

This is a long way to say "Marxists don't believe in capitalism"

Not really. 

I don't know why people are so keen to define themselves as belonging to a particular school of political thought. I've heard people claim to be a 'liberal', 'conservative', 'Marxist', 'Loyalist', or even a 'fascist' and wonder sometimes if they even understand the implications of the label they've adopted.

I genuinely don't know what the difference is between Loyalism and Unionism, for example, in the case of Northern Ireland. Anyone care to explain?

As for many so-called 'liberals', I think they'd be better adopting the term neo-Marxist, as they tend to believe that gays, women and people of colour have been exploited along with the proletariat, which waa the only group addressed by classical Marxism.

Edited by G_&_T

Not really. 
I don't know why people are so keen to define themselves as belonging to a particular school of political thought. I've heard people claim to be a 'liberal', 'conservative', 'Marxist', 'Loyalist', or even a 'fascist' and wonder sometimes if they even understand the implications of the label they've adopted.

I genuinely don't know what the difference is between Loyalism and Unionism, for example, in the case of Northern Ireland. Anyone care to explain?

As for many so-called 'liberals', I think they'd be better adopting the term neo-Marxist, as they tend to believe that gays, women and people of colour have been exploited along with the proletariat, which waa the only group addressed by classical Marxism.

What do you define as classical Marxism because Lenin addressed the oppression of at least some of the groups you’ve identified.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

What do you define as classical Marxism because Lenin addressed the oppression of at least some of the groups you’ve identified.

The Communist Manifesto, and any other literature by Karl Marx.

N.b. Was he not racist, and anti-Semitic despite being Jewish?

I'm not particularly knowledgable on the finer points of differing schools of economic thought but I was under the (misguided?) impression that there's no real "neoliberal" economics, rather it's basically "Chicago" economics but delivered by Conservative political ideology: small state, efficient markets, blah blah blah.  

I think it’s fair to say that it’s an ideology but definitely an incoherent one that doesn’t survive exposure to reality. A bit like fascism!

The Austrian School is not that insane - some of their key concepts such as Opportunity Cost are now part of mainstream economics.

Tbf, something being a part of current mainstream economics doesn’t make it sensible given we’re currently growing our way to catastrophic climate change.

They gave out the Nobel prize for Economics to some guy who has figured out the most profitable rate to destroy the planet at.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/12/06/the-nobel-prize-for-climate-catastrophe/

So, Nordhaus’ career has been devoted to finding what he calls a “balance” between climate mitigation and GDP growth. In a famous 1991 paper titled “To slow or not to slow,” he argued firmly for the latter option: Let’s not be too eager to slow down global warming, because we don’t want to jeopardize growth.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

They gave out the Nobel prize for Economics to some guy who has figured out the most profitable rate to destroy the planet at.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/12/06/the-nobel-prize-for-climate-catastrophe/

Well from a purely selfish point of view, that suits me as long as it sustains my living standards for another forty-fifty years. I haven't got, and don't want, kids. However, being a kind and generous soul I've always taken steps to reduce my carbon footprint and have considered adopting a vegan - whole food, plant based, diet - for moral and health reasons. 

11 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Well from a purely selfish point of view, that suits me as long as it sustains my living standards for another forty-fifty years. I haven't got, and don't want, kids. However, being a kind and generous soul I've always taken steps to reduce my carbon footprint and have considered adopting a vegan - whole food, plant based, diet - for moral and health reasons. 

I’m sure we’re all glad to hear that.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I'm glad that you're glad. It's all downhill from here...if you have any, wish them luck. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Shat the bed. All they’ve done is emboldened the cause of a dullard and let him go on pretending he’s being persecuted.

If the shows had been broadcast it would have been about him getting stitched up by the liberal BBC elite to look like a fool. I'm sure he'll get a gig on InfoWars or RT to do his stuff.

I don't really have a problem with right wing views being aired in an appropriate environment.

What I struggle with is the idea that putting an unfunny video (offensive or not) that caused a bit of controversy on the internet makes you worthy of such a platform.