The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I was going to donate until I saw "because irony" in the description. Anyone who uses that shite "because" patter can f**k right off.

Didn't notice it till after I donated, also it's set up by a seriously unfunny spoof news site. https://southendnewsnetwork.net/news/appeal-to-give-katie-hopkins-emergency-financial-aid-after-insolvency-hits-17000/  *

Still, good cause https://www.trusselltrust.org/

* They did manage to get Milo Yiannopoulos to read this out believing it to be genuine in a live broadcast though, so not all bad.

https://southendnewsnetwork.net/news/nhs-forced-to-offer-cervical-smear-test-to-men-after-landmark-legal-case/

And the EDL. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/edl-falls-for-story-on-hot-cross-buns-without-crosses-published-on-spoof-news-site-southend-news-a6917276.html

Edited by welshbairn

On 16/09/2018 at 20:18, Cerberus said:

I read a fair few fanzines down here from time to time at a mad volunteer run music collective in Peckham (it's a lot less hipstery and wankish than it sounds. Honest) and they all manage to draw black women without going all holliwog on it. Doesn't matter if it's in full colour, B/W, cross hatched, RBI, line drawing: all these amateur cartoonists can draw people of all ethnicities, and make their ethnicity clear, without resorting to stereotypical tropes.

9 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I read a fair few fanzines down here from time to time at a mad volunteer run music collective in Peckham (it's a lot less hipstery and wankish than it sounds. Honest) and they all manage to draw black women without going all holliwog on it. Doesn't matter if it's in full colour, B/W, cross hatched, RBI, line drawing: all these amateur cartoonists can draw people of all ethnicities, and make their ethnicity clear, without resorting to stereotypical tropes.

A hipster 'collective' fanzine or two from Peckham sets the standard of what's Acceptable for cartoonists at home, and in Australia. Tremendous, dangerous arrogance.

On 9/16/2018 at 01:05, JamieThomas said:

That video doesn't mean "the left", it means "liberals". Most stuff does these days.

It absolutely does include the 'left', though it's also 'liberals' as you point out, and various folk who have their brain infested with various 'Progressive' dogma, across the spectrum.

Edited by banana

57 minutes ago, banana said:

A hipster 'collective' fanzine or two from Peckham sets the standard of what's Acceptable for cartoonists at home, and in Australia. Tremendous, dangerous arrogance.

No one said anything of the sort. You're either very dim or being purposefully belligerent by attempting to flip the meaning of what I say to suit your own narrow view point. Whatever works for you

I'd say the, literally, hundreds of thousands of comics, cartoons, illustrations and other pictoral depictions of people of colour, over the course of centuries, that manage to draw them without the need to fall back onto lazy, racist stereotyping to poke fun at them sets the standard of what is acceptable for cartoonists at home and in Australia. Pointing out that some teenagers in Peckham armed with no more than a biro and a photocopier can manage it shows you how ridiculous it is that a professional cartoonist can't.

Surely the dangerous arrogance is an Australian cartoonist, with a history and reputation for, at best, insensitive depictions of ethnic minorities deciding what is and isn't classified as racism is the dangerous arrogance?

9 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

<racist! racism! blah blah>

Indoctrinated hipster teens in Peckham are I'd suggest not the yardstick anyone in their right mind should be using.

I'm sure there are indeed plenty of cartoons that pass your offense filter and meet your saviour sensibilities. There are however free, liberal people who differ from you, and also folk who would take offense at what even you deem Acceptable. You're a 'racist' too, you understand?

Peckham's great craic. I always kinda dismissed it but there's some good restaurants, pubs, the cinema's only a fiver a pop, at least two Morley's Chicken takeaway shops, DIY Space Collective and that wee church near the Iceland that's always handing out free pastries. Shite transport links tho'.

19 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Banana outing himself as having zero knowledge of Peckham, absolutely stunned.

We weren't talking directly about Peckham, Jeff. And I wasn't aware Peckham or any geographic locale had an intellectual monopoly on this or any topic, Jeff.

I'm all ears, of course, Jeff...

Edited by banana

UKIP conference this weekend. Looks like they're going to go full brownshirt this year.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/21/gerard-batten-drags-ukip-further-right-with-harsh-anti-islam-agenda?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

Looking forward to this being Tory policy in 6-12 months.

2 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

UKIP conference this weekend. Looks like they're going to go full brownshirt this year.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/21/gerard-batten-drags-ukip-further-right-with-harsh-anti-islam-agenda?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

Looking forward to this being Tory policy in 6-12 months.

The latest gonk to head this fringe interest group had a speech that was broadcast live, in its entirety on the BBC New channel today around midday. He announced, to probably the biggest cheer of the speech, that they would abolish the license fee and make this "PC, anti-free-speech establishment" accountable

Sometimes I wonder what fucking planet I live on