The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

6 hours ago, Detournement said:

Tech monopolies acting as censors is a far bigger issue than Alex Jones being able to spout shite.

Alex Jones wouldn't be allowed to spout the shite he does on any other media without getting done for libel and maybe incitement, along with the publishers.

They aren't regular private companies though. They are monopolies.

They should never have been allowed to grow as big as they are but now that seem to be a permanent feature of our society they should be regulated to ensure that they don't subvert political debate. Alex Jones is an arsehole but he's nowhere near as dangerous as the billionaires who run Facebook and Google.

53 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Jones is protected by the first amendment in the USA.

Not necessarily. It's going through the courts, but you're not allowed to accuse people of something you know to be untrue even in America.

37 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Richard Spencer said he was unwilling to attend rallies after being hooked by that Antifa guy at Trump’s inauguration. It’s probably a mixture of both.

TBF Dicky has far more important things to worry about at the mo. 

https://twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/1027949562269331457

17 hours ago, Detournement said:

They aren't regular private companies though. They are monopolies.

They should never have been allowed to grow as big as they are but now that seem to be a permanent feature of our society they should be regulated to ensure that they don't subvert political debate. Alex Jones is an arsehole but he's nowhere near as dangerous as the billionaires who run Facebook and Google.

In what possible sense are Facebook and Twitter "monopolies"?  They're very popular social media platforms.  And private enterprises.  Which can delete and ban users for whatever reason they like.  Even without reason.  Don't like it?  Go somewhere else.  

I had to look up shadow banning.  It actually just means mute.  It's like putting folk on ignore, here.  Get them to yell right wing conspiracy theories into the cloud rather than at clouds.  

Phil McScrabblescore blocked me on Twitter, even though I've never Tweeted him.  That's not censorship.  Getting banned for trolling is not censorship.  Getting muted for calling Sandy Hook a conspiracy theory is not censorship.  Attacking the bereaved parents because you lack the capacity for abstract though and getting banned for it still isn't censorship.   There are plenty of right wing loonballs who don't get banned.  Paul Joseph Watson, for one, seems to be far more aggressive than the fat bloke from Texas.  

Zerohedge and Infowars (and dare I say it, Fox News and CNN) have done far more to "subvert political debate".  What they post isn't even political debate.

But but but but but free speech, right?

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I had to look up shadow banning.  It actually just means mute.  It's like putting folk on ignore, here.  Get them to yell right wing conspiracy theories into the cloud rather than at clouds.  

As I understand it, it's just dropping someone down the search rankings. The account's still accessible to anyone who has the address, say twitter.com/nazicunt.com. All it means is that twitter and google aren't actively promoting it.

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As I understand it, it's just dropping someone down the search rankings. The account's still accessible to anyone who has the address, say twitter.com/nazicunt.com. All it means is that twitter and google aren't actively promoting it.

I would reply to this, but I've shadow banned your account.  

It's not really surprising that this is causing major consternation among the fruit loops.  You'd have to go out of your way to look up www.zerohedge.com/thecorporatelibtardsmanufacturedthehandgunhysteriaandfakedthedeathsofsomekids.com/inforwarsFTW anyway - it's not as if the solid reasoning of Richard Spencer or Paul Joseph "Stress ALL the wrong WORDS for TABLOID effect" Watson will convince anyone of anything.  The alt-right chat groups can still go off to 4chan to discus how life is so unfair to white men.

So what it amounts to is a bunch of alt-right conspiracy theorists complaining that their views aren't very popular, because the sheeple are oppressing them.