The normalisation of the far-right continues

Guest Bob Mahelp

There’s going to be cranks and ethnonationalists in any sizeable nationalist movement but the point is that it isn’t remotely indulged by the leaders of the Scottish National Party and wider Yes movement. Sturgeon and Salmond have both bent over backwards to be accommodating to anyone that wants to be a part of a socially inclusive Scotland and that’s to their credit.

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to read that the BNP profited from Nick Griffin on QT and not because anything about him was impressive. The whole thing was absolutely embarrassing for the rest of the (relatively) liberal panel and the show itself. Having five or six people pointing fingers and screaming over a guest is going to illicit a sympathetic response from someone. Nick Griffin is a complete slaver as well, him speaking interrupted would've probably been more harmful for his own cause.

There has been a few similarish examples with Cathy Newman and the like propelling various figure's profile by having a go at them. The problem is two-fold for me. Bob and others are right that the media have given certain groups way more exposure than they deserve. On top of that, the left and centre have done absolutely nothing to even think about the possible downsides of globalisation; far less offer up some kind of hopeful message to the people who are currently easy pickings for the far right. You've got one group of people getting on TV all the time to offer up incredibly emotional and simple political messages and another group calling the first group and anyone who likes them a scumbag. Recipe for disaster imo.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

apart from the unit of independence being defined by the nation you mean.

You mean like every other country in the world champ?  The point is self determination.  We want Scotland to be governed by the people who live in Scotland.  Same as Japan and Peru and France and Nigeria.  Not governed by people in another country.  You're a moron.

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't give a f**k about nationality, I just don't like getting ruled by Tories and dragged out of the EU because of the vote in another country.

I agree with all of this by the way. britsh nationalism is clearly worse

2 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

You mean like every other country in the world champ?  The point is self determination.  We want Scotland to be governed by the people who live in Scotland.  Same as Japan and Peru and France and Nigeria.  Not governed by people in another country.  You're a moron.

Nigeria is one of the worst examples you could give and demonstrates an argument based on a lack of knowledge