The European Championships

D.V.T.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some quality stewarding on Byres Road there.

”Where is the crossing point to get to the subway?”

”Here”

”Can we cross then please?” 

“Not for another hour”

”So where can we cross?”

”You’ll need to ask a policeman”

So I asked a copper

“Where can I cross to get to the subway?”

”The crossing point is outside Greggs”

”The steward says it won’t open for another hour”

”Yeah that would be about right”

Eventually discovered that the only way to cross was to walk half way up Great George Street and back down, after asking another copper if I could do that, and he said “Don’t know, but I don’t see why not”.

The peloton rattling round the corner was impressive though.

Some quality stewarding on Byres Road there.

”Where is the crossing point to get to the subway?”

”Here”

”Can we cross then please?” 

“Not for another hour”

”So where can we cross?”

”You’ll need to ask a policeman”

So I asked a copper

“Where can I cross to get to the subway?”

”The crossing point is outside Greggs”

”The steward says it won’t open for another hour”

”Yeah that would be about right”

Eventually discovered that the only way to cross was to walk half way up Great George Street and back down, after asking another copper if I could do that, and he said “Don’t know, but I don’t see why not”.

The peloton rattling round the corner was impressive though.

Weird. Watched a bit of it today and as soon as the cyclists passed we were let through. Got some good views at the corner of Argyle/Buchanan St and at Montrose St.

Seemed like the team cars were racing each other as well. The Russian one wasn’t far from hitting the Belarusian motor.

1 hour ago, D.V.T. said:

So I asked a copper

Weird. Watched a bit of it today and as soon as the cyclists passed we were let through. Got some good views at the corner of Argyle/Buchanan St and at Montrose St.

Seemed like the team cars were racing each other as well. The Russian one wasn’t far from hitting the Belarusian motor.

Yeah was very different in the city centre as opposed to out west!

Big shout out for the guys using traffic cones as vuvuzelas on Montrose St when we were there & for the Belarusian who was cheered all the way up, last time round, until he got a 'sticky' bottle yards from the top; to be greeted with a chorus of boos.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Seems a decent event. Agree that it wasn't publicised very well. I knew nothing about it until I saw it on telly and Googled it.

I'd maybe call it the European Games rather than the European Championships to emphasise the fact that it's like a mini-Olympics rather than a traditional championships.

Hope the top British stars don't concentrate on this and miss our Commonwealths next time, though. Also hoping we get to host the 2026 event.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:55, Detournement said:

Caught a bit of the triathlon on TV earlier. The Strathy was looking good in the sun but all the swans, ducks and geese that I have to run around were missing which made it a bit easier than it could have been.

Went to the mens triathlon on Friday and it was excellent - nice weather and a good crowd. Watching it live, you lose TV's constant coverage of the cycling and running stages; but being close to the start line, swimming stage, change-over zone and finish line was decent. Alistair Brownlie was in the front pack all the way, but sadly his legs couldn't step-it-up when 2 broke away, and ultimately he was also overtaken by a Spaniard who tore through the running field from way back and missed-out on a medal entirely. Bit gutting.

Went to BMX yesterday morning before Queen's Park v Berwick. BMX racing is excellent to watch live, especially when Team GB got a Gold & Silver in the mens... but it's only excellent when they're racing. Each lasts about 35-40 seconds and after a handful in quick succession there was a break of literally 30-40mins every time. On the original schedule there were supposed to be 29 races in total (22 mens + 7 womens) but in reality there were only 14 races (11 mens + 3 womens), which included an extra round of 4 races clearly put it to 'pad-out' the mens tournament.

Some time ago myself and a family member had decided to go to the golf at Gleneagles today. It was fairly miserable... Steady to heavy rain throughout and Georgia Hall messed-up on the last hole of the Semi-Final (which had gone off at 7am) meaning both British womens pairs were in the Bronze playoff. There must only have been a few hundred spectators in total and by the end of their round it had dwindled to perhaps a hundred odd following that match, plus maybe a dozen at each of the other matches. Seldom can people have been crowned "European Champion" before fewer witnesses - and it didn't include ourselves as we'd retreated damp and disappointed. Tbf, apparently the mixed tournament yesterday was successful.

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:
9 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
Stupid commentator - "they surely have the gold unless they have a complete disaster" - one complete disaster later by Torrance . . .

It was if she forgot what dive she was trying to do, lucky she even made it into the water hands first.

Not suggesting it happened in this instance but on Monday... admittedly the first day... the tannoy woman at the diving was regularly reading out the dive wrong (either with outright mistakes - including sometimes reading out the wrong country, competitor and routine entirely - or tripping over her tongue).

Unless you're "in the zone" enough while you wait not to be listening it did strike me that it could confuse someone or at least through them off focus.

Glasgow (and Berlin... and Edinburgh, Motherwell and Gleneagles...) was a great host; GB performed well; and aside from the golf and perhaps diving the crowds were good.

Successful first "European Championships" overall.

Seems a decent event. Agree that it wasn't publicised very well. I knew nothing about it until I saw it on telly and Googled it.
I'd maybe call it the European Games rather than the European Championships to emphasise the fact that it's like a mini-Olympics rather than a traditional championships.
Hope the top British stars don't concentrate on this and miss our Commonwealths next time, though. Also hoping we get to host the 2026 event.

There is already a European Games - the first one was in Baku in 2015 (shown on BT quite a bit IIRC) and the next one is in Minsk next year. However it didn’t really capture the imagination. More of the minority of sports and even the bigger ones didn’t have strong fields.

Reckon if it doesn’t catch on I can see other sports just attaching themselves to the Euro Champs.

33 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think that was the idea but various European Olympic Associations have started a rival-type tournament of that nature. It has proven a bit of a flop (partly as the hosts thusfar have been the slightly unsavoury locations and regimes of Azerbaijan in 2015 and Belarus in 2019 plus it hasn't had some of the big sports e.g. no athletics, track cycling, only a limited swimming program, and so forth). I think only a few British sports sent top-level competitors e.g. boxing. It almost didn't register in our media.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Games

European Championships-wise... unless they elect to split the hosting again, like with the athletics this time, they might struggle to find a host for next time around: I see the announcement has already been delayed from late last year to late this year or early next year. It's expensive to host (did I see a figure of £100M?), and despite all the Commonwealth Games facilities we still had to build a BMX track plus erect a temporary synchronised swimming pool.

As I mentioned before I could definitely see some of the racket and combat sports wanting to join the party. Equally I could see golf - which joined late - being dropped.

Caught the first few hours of the road race yesterday before my daughters patience with the rain ran put and we headed home to watch the last couple of hours on telly.

Excellent from Laura Muir and McColgan.

Archived