The European Championships

D.V.T.

8C14ABB3-B1D4-4BEB-A615-A2B33A72BED7-2759-0000018317490756.jpg

A new era in world sport will get underway in the summer of 2018 as Glasgow and Berlin host the inaugural European Championships — an exciting new multi-sport event bringing together some of the continent’s leading sports including the existing European Championships for Athletics, Aquatics, Cycling, Gymnastics, Rowing and Triathlon with a new Golf Team Championships.

To be staged every four years starting in August 2018, the European Championships will be a new highlight on the global sporting calendar, elevating the status of European Champions during an 11-day celebration of world-class sport and a packed 10-day broadcast schedule.

Glasgow and Scotland will host Aquatics, Cycling, Golf, Gymnastics, Rowing and Triathlon while Berlin hosts Athletics.

Anyone going to an event? I like the idea of it and it should create more interest than that European Games in Baku did.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

The worst team pursuit I’ve ever seen by the Irish ladies. I’m not sure they understood the rules. I’m still trying to get my head around what they were thinking.

ETA: The velodrome is empty.

4 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was looking at going, thought it might be a tenner a ticket or something but they were wanting 25 quid or so for decent seats so decided to give it a miss. I'm sure the finals will be well attended but it's not been well publicised at all IMO.

My fb timeline has been full of 2-4-1 ticket offers. Would think that finals sessions will be near full to capacity, but morning qualifying sessions are pretty much meh & it's still during the working week.

Thinking of venturing through for the Mens Road Race, in the Cycling. It's free, based round the City Centre &, if its good weather, be excellent for a day of beer & eats; as I start back work on the Monday N/S.:thumsup2:cheers

Think it's suffering from a lack of team sports. The rugby 7s was one of the successes of the Commonwealths but not here this time.

Group of us have been across in Glasgow over the weekend - at Rowing and Swimming yesterday and Synchronised Swimming and Track Cycling today. Taking in Diving tomorrow (which is in Edinburgh) enroute back.

Given the lack of publicity the event had in the run-up I've been amazed how many people are going around the city centre with branded gear and related stuff - and the stands at all 4 of those events were basically full. Really good atmosphere including some home medals and world records at the swimming. Particularly enjoyed the synchro (despite never having watched it on TV) and the cycling tonight. There were loads of people getting off the train for the gymnastics earlier.

They seem to have struggled to shift tickets for the daytime qualifier sessions during the week hence the 2 for 1 offers, but the evening and weekend stuff seems to have been well patronised and certainly some attractive sessions were sold out 1yr ago.

Coupled with the TV coverage I'd expect the organisers and federations are pretty happy with the opening week. Also it's been much more affordable than the Olympics or Commonwealths - broadly £20 adults, maximum £40-50 for best seats.

Some harsh rules in the swimming. Each country can enter up to 4 swimmers per event, but only 2 can go into the last 16. 3 Russians in one of the events were the 3 fastest qualifiers, so the 3rd one gets bombed out.

Some harsh rules in the swimming. Each country can enter up to 4 swimmers per event, but only 2 can go into the last 16. 3 Russians in one of the events were the 3 fastest qualifiers, so the 3rd one gets bombed out.
Ross Murdoch lost out earlier in the week under the same rules. You'd think they'd just do trials and only allow 2 from each country to go into the event if that's the case. Seems strange.

Ross Murdoch lost out earlier in the week under the same rules. You'd think they'd just do trials and only allow 2 from each country to go into the event if that's the case. Seems strange.
It's a sore one. The commentators were saying it means that more swimmers can get experience of taking part in a major championships. Not a very happy experience if you are quicker than 95% than the other competitors and still get knocked out.

It's a sore one. The commentators were saying it means that more swimmers can get experience of taking part in a major championships. Not a very happy experience if you are quicker than 95% than the other competitors and still get knocked out.

Olympics / Worlds only allow 2 per event.

Allows younger athletes to gain experience. The athletes know the rules before they enter, swimmers tend to enter 3/4 events each anyway.

Diving was reasonably attended this morning... main stand was pretty well filled, though the side stand sparsely so... but atmosphere rather flat. Kind of to be expected being in Edinburgh and the first day of competition with what is apparently seen as a bit of a side-show category of "mixed pair". That said, there was basically no effort from the tannoy to get any sort of atmosphere going (or even try to explain how many dives each competitor got, who had put themself in medal positions, who needed what to get a medal etc.) which was pretty poor and in contrast to the Glasgow events.

GB unfortunately came 4th after the British lass had a dud middle dive and scored very poorly. Russia also had a bad dive and Ukraine won.

Overall I think the concept works and is actually a welcome addition - or rather rejigging - on the sporting cycle. Most sports have a world championships either side of the Olympics but if you aren't in the Commonwealth you lack a notable tournament in the fourth year. Bringing together the existing European tournaments for that year as a European Championships fills that gap, gives another opportunity for athletes to experience a multi-sport games, and should also make more money for the respective sports through ticket sales, sponsorship and TV. I'm not sure if it would suit team sports very well - or if the founding sports would want them anyway - but you could certainly see the likes of combat sports/martial arts and racket sports wanting to join in for the next edition.

They haven't announced 2022's host yet and an interesting thought is how it'll work with the Commonwealth Games. Being in Australia this year there was no clash but Birmingham's hosting it in late July-early August.

Diving was reasonably attended this morning... main stand was pretty well filled, though the side stand sparsely so... but atmosphere rather flat. Kind of to be expected being in Edinburgh and the first day of competition with what is apparently seen as a bit of a side-show category of "mixed pair". That said, there was basically no effort from the tannoy to get any sort of atmosphere going (or even try to explain how many dives each competitor got, who had put themself in medal positions, who needed what to get a medal etc.) which was pretty poor and in contrast to the Glasgow events.

GB unfortunately came 4th after the British lass had a dud middle dive and scored very poorly. Russia also had a bad dive and Ukraine won.

Overall I think the concept works and is actually a welcome addition - or rather rejigging - on the sporting cycle. Most sports have a world championships either side of the Olympics but if you aren't in the Commonwealth you lack a notable tournament in the fourth year. Bringing together the existing European tournaments for that year as a European Championships fills that gap, gives another opportunity for athletes to experience a multi-sport games, and should also make more money for the respective sports through ticket sales, sponsorship and TV. I'm not sure if it would suit team sports very well - or if the founding sports would want them anyway - but you could certainly see the likes of combat sports/martial arts and racket sports wanting to join in for the next edition.

They haven't announced 2022's host yet and an interesting thought is how it'll work with the Commonwealth Games. Being in Australia this year there was no clash but Birmingham's hosting it in late July-early August.
2022's scheduling won't be a problem for the vast majority of Europe. The only countries I can think of aside from the "home" nations that are part of the commonwealth are Cyprus, Malta and Gibraltar. I would think very little thought will be given to whether the Euros clash with the Birmingham games.

Archived