Stags vs Wasps - Ross County vs Alloa Athletic

18 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Do your media guys at Ross County do highlights?

Apparently our "media guys"/unpaid intern do.

ETA: McManus, Kelly, Draper and Graham should all arguably have done a lot better.  Four or five clear cut chances. Fair play to the Alloa keeper.

ETAA: So should Spence.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Apparently our "media guys"/unpaid intern do.

ETA: McManus, Kelly, Draper and Graham should all arguably have done a lot better.  Four or five clear cut chances. Fair play to the Alloa keeper.

ETAA: So should Spence.

Unpaid intern? Poor show. Should be a paid position.

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Unpaid intern? Poor show. Should be a paid position.

In fairness, I have no idea who does it.  I'm more referring to the fact that our media relations is fairly shambolic, although has really picked up in the last few days or so.

30 minutes ago, mikedafc said:

Thought Alloa were unlucky not to take anything from game but Spence really has to  score with his big chance in the first half

You could and did say that. But County had a lot more (albeit less glaringly obvious) chances they failed to take. 

Coulda shoulda woulda. It's only Day One. Points will be gained from a similar Alloa performance on another day.  

Alloa can be a bloody tricky team, especially at home on that narrow pitch which I believe has gotten even narrower for this season? 
It wasn't a happy hunting ground the last time I was there. They ran us ragged in a playoff game and, deservedly won. 
Most people don't think they'll get off the bottom spot this season but, I think they'll take one or two big scalps this season if visiting teams aren't on their toes. 
The pitch at Alloa was made narrower but it wasn't narrow before. We went from the maximum size a pitch could be, even bigger than Old Trafford I believe to the minimum it can be.

7 hours ago, Wilky1878 said:
On 01/08/2018 at 15:55, P475 said:
Alloa can be a bloody tricky team, especially at home on that narrow pitch which I believe has gotten even narrower for this season? 
It wasn't a happy hunting ground the last time I was there. They ran us ragged in a playoff game and, deservedly won. 
Most people don't think they'll get off the bottom spot this season but, I think they'll take one or two big scalps this season if visiting teams aren't on their toes. 

The pitch at Alloa was made narrower but it wasn't narrow before. We went from the maximum size a pitch could be, even bigger than Old Trafford I believe to the minimum it can be.

Every day is a school day. Your pitch always appeared narrower than ours at East End. 

That makes our last performance I seen there even more woeful. 

My memory escapes me when was our last game vs You? If it was when Jack Ross was our manager whilst in the championship he done the same thing for the second half of the season which is where I assume we got the idea to do it again. It was widened back up for the season after when we dropped into League 1.

We narrowed the park when in the championship, after all teams had played on It, and earned more points after narrowing It, hence the reason we have narrowed it again for start of championship

I’m really surprised clubs can just narrow their pitch whenever they want. You’d have thought it would have to be the same for all matches, but nope.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m really surprised clubs can just narrow their pitch whenever they want. You’d have thought it would have to be the same for all matches, but nope.

We can't do it wen ever we feel like it, We narrowed the pitch to the minimum size a park can be, after all teams had played on It at least once, giving no team an advantage, the idea came after Graeme souness done it for rangers in a European game, it's still within the dimensions required

4 minutes ago, Station wasp said:

We can't do it wen ever we feel like it, We narrowed the pitch to the minimum size a park can be, after all teams had played on It at least once, giving no team an advantage, the idea came after Graeme souness done it for rangers in a European game, it's still within the dimensions required

I don't think you even had to do that, did you.  I believe you don't have to let everyone have one go.  That was more Alloa being good-spirited. I might be wrong, though,

I don't think you even had to do that, did you.  I believe you don't have to let everyone have one go.  That was more Alloa being good-spirited. I might be wrong, though,

We had to get permission from the spfl to do it.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

No, we had to wait until the halfway point of the season so there was no disadvantage to any of the other sides. You don't get to just f**k about with the pitch dimensions in the league whenever you feel like it. Seems perfectly reasonable and I don't get why there's folk still unhappy about the concept.

Shame The Rangers aren't still here, or we'd have "yer plastic pitch is shite" to complete the retro flashback. They really weren't happy with us.

6 hours ago, Wilky1878 said:

My memory escapes me when was our last game vs You? If it was when Jack Ross was our manager whilst in the championship he done the same thing for the second half of the season which is where I assume we got the idea to do it again. It was widened back up for the season after when we dropped into League 1.

We played them in the cup last season but he seems to be talking about the play-off game a few years ago. Pitch was obviously not narrowed for either game and a good thing too or we might not have seen this fantastic goal...

I've already moaned about this but narrowing the park looks like a confused bit of thinking. Jack Ross arrived at Alloa in December with us sitting at the bottom of the Championship with a shite squad. He wasn't able to make too many changes to the squad so narrowing the park was a wee gamble worth taking. We only actually won 1 game on it, but it probably did act as something of a leveller. Current situation is different, we actually have some good creative players who would benefit from a bit more width. The fact we have drawn at Tannadice and were 2 minutes from drawing at Dingwall might suggest we are doing ok on bigger pitches. I thought it really stiffled us against County at home. If at all possible I'd be looking at taking it out a bit more before the first home league game. But suspect that ship has sailed.

As for the squad, it's a sensible policy not to sign players just to have numbers. That's why the best business is normally done early in the summer. Have to think we missed out on a number of targets because the plan cannot have been to be so light at this stage. With the gaffer only playing in emergency and Cawley on the bench but not fit we basically had 11 outfield players available at Dingwall. On the plus side, the team is doing pretty well regardless. With the right additions, asap, we might be able to get a few points on the board early in the season. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the squad being light at this stage; over the next few weeks, there'll be lots of full-timers starting to realise they won't be featuring in the first team as much as they'd like (Gordon Greer being the latest, by the looks of it). Quite impressed by the gaffer refusing to fill the squad with fringe players...assuming he manages to snag a few impressive frees/loanees soon, of course  :P

I'd have thought plenty of clubs in this division would be all over Greer, BTW; doubt we'd get a sniff.

Archived