Stags vs Wasps - Ross County vs Alloa Athletic

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made hard work of that and got a scare when alloa's number 9 missed an easy first half chance. Like last week though only one team tried to win the game so the right result was reached eventually. Alloa will be hard for teams to break down but they'll need to offer more going forward to make any sort of impact this season - and I've seen them twice in two weeks so that isn't a petulant gripe at their style which was very nearly effective today. 

Thought Vigurs was good myself although he's clearly not a left mid. He weakened the team by coming centrally so often and without a decent attacking LB it left us woefully imbalanced. It's no surprise that things drastically improved when draper came off, allowing Vigurs to play centrally with DKD on the wing. I assume that will be corrected next week when Gardyne is back but if that's the case I'd sacrifice Lindsay rather than Draper personally. Vigurs strolls it which I think makes some think he's lazy. I actually think he's on a different level to the other players and that can make him look silly when his invention doesn't come off. I can see why he's never really made a significant impact at PL level but he's an automatic first pick in this league. 

I thought both strikers did ok but they don't exactly complement each other. I'd play one with Graham (who looked quite good when he came on) although i don't have a preference for which - both are tidy and hardworking enough. 

3 good second half saves from the Alloa keeper made it closer than it probably ought to have been but it's a winning start and that's all that matters really. 

I was always a big fan of Vigurs coming in off the left - it was his best position in his previous spell and also at Motherwell.  He has developed into more of a central figure though. I’d prefer to see him do that but 15 yards higher up the pitch, rather than splitting the centre backs when there are already 2 CMs to do that.  Vigurs probably doesn’t have the mobility for it now to do what he did five years ago.

How do SFSK fit everyone in the team though?  I wouldn't drop Lindsay, his energy and urgency is a great contrast to Vigurs.  Either someone is dropped there or the system needs to change, though.

7 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I was always a big fan of Vigurs coming in off the left - it was his best position in his previous spell and also at Motherwell.  He has developed into more of a central figure though. I’d prefer to see him do that but 15 yards higher up the pitch, rather than splitting the centre backs when there are already 2 CMs to do that.  Vigurs probably doesn’t have the mobility for it now to do what he did five years ago.

How do SFSK fit everyone in the team though?  I woukdnt drop Lindsay, his energy and urgency is a great contrast to Vigurs.  Either someone is dropped there or the system needs to change, though.

There's an argument for horses for courses. Draper possibly not needed at home vs Alloa for example (no disrespect) but could be crucial at e.g. Dunfermline away next week. I don't think it's bad to have a couple of options and we seem to have that with this squad... but we need an identity and a 'plan a' too. 

Whatever we do we need someone in front of Kelly, he may be alright as a defender, I emphasise may, but he’s not a wing back and we need to be able to attack on both flanks. I’d take Graham over Mackay up front.

I thought Adam Brown put in a great shift on the left hand side and Parry didn’t deserve to lose, he was unfortunate with the sclaffed finish squirming past him, but he handled everything else with a presence that took the pressure off Alloa a lot of the time.  I’m a big fan of Trouten but he never got any chance to influence the game. I’m pleased he’ll be used in his best position in this league and hope he proves himself. Spence barely got a sniff though, that Draper asssist apart. 

Thought County in little spells played some nice stuff, but a lot of our football was right in front of Alloa and incredibly lumbering and ineffective. If Spence had taken that chance in the first half it could have been a different result.

County also denied a stonewall penalty from an almost bearhug like hold by the Alloa centre half on McManus I think. Ref was poor for both sides. Never thought I'd want to see Gollum or Madden again but after those officials...

Made hard work of that and got a scare when alloa's number 9 missed an easy first half chance. Like last week though only one team tried to win the game so the right result was reached eventually. Alloa will be hard for teams to break down but they'll need to offer more going forward to make any sort of impact this season - and I've seen them twice in two weeks so that isn't a petulant gripe at their style which was very nearly effective today. 
Thought Vigurs was good myself although he's clearly not a left mid. He weakened the team by coming centrally so often and without a decent attacking LB it left us woefully imbalanced. It's no surprise that things drastically improved when draper came off, allowing Vigurs to play centrally with DKD on the wing. I assume that will be corrected next week when Gardyne is back but if that's the case I'd sacrifice Lindsay rather than Draper personally. Vigurs strolls it which I think makes some think he's lazy. I actually think he's on a different level to the other players and that can make him look silly when his invention doesn't come off. I can see why he's never really made a significant impact at PL level but he's an automatic first pick in this league. 
I thought both strikers did ok but they don't exactly complement each other. I'd play one with Graham (who looked quite good when he came on) although i don't have a preference for which - both are tidy and hardworking enough. 
3 good second half saves from the Alloa keeper made it closer than it probably ought to have been but it's a winning start and that's all that matters really. 

Your last bit about Vigurs is bang on the money. He needs to be played in the middle of the park as a deep lying playmaker (apologies for the football manager reference). He does look lazy but he’s not, just a class act if used properly. He will get caught out a few times against higher level teams but that should hardly ever happen at this level

57 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Your last bit about Vigurs is bang on the money. He needs to be played in the middle of the park as a deep lying playmaker (apologies for the football manager reference). He does look lazy but he’s not, just a class act if used properly. He will get caught out a few times against higher level teams but that should hardly ever happen at this level

Vigurs had a good game, strolled it really, the downside was we had nobody on the left side to give him an out.  Caught out once from memory but was restricted from not having somebody in front of Kelly.

Thought we deserved a draw and was gutted for the players after the shift they put in.

First half our pressing, with the returning Stevie Hetherington outstanding and ably supported by Robbo, made it a decent half and if Spence converts that one on one then who knows.

Second half we were pinned back a bit and although County didn't really cut us open we were under a lot of pressure, which the defence and big Parry (who made a handful of good saves) coped with well, a few bodies being put on the line.

It's clear we lack attacking quality. I thought Greig put himself about well and had a decent game (missed chance aside) but the game passed Trouten by and the pace looked too much for him. Flanny and wee Kev in for Trouts and Adam Brown (who did OK) would improve us in that respect, but will Goody drop Trouten this early after signing him?

County have impressed me in the last two games. It will be a good team that finishes above them this season if they keep that level up.

3 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Imagine trying to add Cowie to that mix.  

Other than a sense of sentimentality, I'm not sure what Cowie would offer us. He's decent on dead balls- but so is Vigurs. He's a good user of the ball, but so is Vigurs. He's got less energy than Lindsay or Paton, so I don't see what role he'd be used for. In essence he'd most likely want to play where Vigurs did in the second half, so I don't really see the point of him joining.

Watching the game just now and my word Spence should have scored. He thought he could slide it down the side of the keeper but puts it wide. I've got to give it to Ross County that they have excellent pressing again but from the first half its comfortable viewing from an Alloa point of view.

49 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Other than a sense of sentimentality, I'm not sure what Cowie would offer us. He's decent on dead balls- but so is Vigurs. He's a good user of the ball, but so is Vigurs. He's got less energy than Lindsay or Paton, so I don't see what role he'd be used for. In essence he'd most likely want to play where Vigurs did in the second half, so I don't really see the point of him joining.

I'd suggest the managers might be in agreement with you.  Seems completely superfluous and an absolute kick in the baws for, I guess, Paton.  I think Lindsay's pretty ordinary, but he's got more engine than Cowie and I don't see him being dropped any time soon - especially as Ferguson made such a song-and-dance about getting him to sign permanently.   Draper's a completely different player.  Vigurs is probably the closest, but he's left footed for one thing, and arguably a better passer.   If Cowie does sign, it'll be a boardroom move to placate some of the "get the local lads on Cooper/Adams/Leitch/Adams/McIntyre/Ferguson/Kettlewell" brigade.  I wonder if it isn't another swing-and-a-miss from that Burns bloke in the Express (a la Gary Irvine).

Then again, if he's coming as a bit part player/ full time coach, I can't see a problem with that. 

Pleased with the effort from the boys today, it would have been a different story if spencey had managed to slot the ball away,  but what will be  will be , big Neil parry was outstanding , it's gonna be a long hard slog but we will do ourselves proud .

Archived