Stags vs Wasps - Ross County vs Alloa Athletic

Since the retirement of Willie Irvine, Alloa and Ross County haven't played that much.  The other week, Alloa (lining up without Irvine) and County played out a fairly routine 0-2 away win.

Any reason to expect anything but a similar scoreline in this league fixture?  If Willie Irvine, who must be about 53 now, was to come out of retirement, I'd make Alloa heavy favourites.  Without him, I can see County winning this game 2-0 as well.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hopefully we will be less tired and make more of a game of it , but too much of an ask as we are still light on squad numbers 

i fear a repeat of the saturdays result though . Ross county being one of the stronger teams in this league does give me hope mind you ..

The victory on Saturday was more comprehensive than the 2-0 scoreline suggests.  I'd be disappointed if the score and performance this weekend was any less than that given we have home advantage.

No disrespect to Alloa but it's a 'back to earth with a bump' sort of fixture after the highs of the last few years. Hope we have a good crowd and that we take Alloa seriously enough. 

It's also the occasion of my 30th birthday so I'm expecting a comprehensive home win to allow me to celebrate appropriately. 

1 hour ago, frankthetank22 said:

Home win, clean sheet please.

Disappointing crowd as ever for our first home game as half of the home crowd will be pissed in a field near Lovat!

I’ll be one of these people, so I’ll be missing this one. Hopefully get of to a good start.

Still have nightmares of Allan Creer being Alloa's fourth man at Victoria Park ten years ago.

County win please, but Alloa rarely give us an easy game.

Alloa can be a bloody tricky team, especially at home on that narrow pitch which I believe has gotten even narrower for this season? 

It wasn't a happy hunting ground the last time I was there. They ran us ragged in a playoff game and, deservedly won. 

Most people don't think they'll get off the bottom spot this season but, I think they'll take one or two big scalps this season if visiting teams aren't on their toes. 

3 hours ago, Comrie said:

Still have nightmares of Allan Creer being Alloa's fourth man at Victoria Park ten years ago.

That was Stevenson-inspired Ayr.

Looking forward to how SFSK set up the team and who they leave out.  I can’t see all of Draper, Vigurs and Lindsay playing.  Adding Cowie to that mix would take the biscuit.

6 hours ago, Forfinn said:

The victory on Saturday was more comprehensive than the 2-0 scoreline suggests.  I'd be disappointed if the score and performance this weekend was any less than that given we have home advantage.

It was and it wasn't. County had an awful lot of the ball but didn't create too many clear cut chances. The opener when it arrived was rather fortunate. And Greig Spence was a few inches away from equalising shortly before County got the late 2nd goal. County were clearly deserving winners, but Alloa might well have emerged with a draw and top spot in the group.

That said, I'm expecting a home win here as well. County have assembled what should be a decent team for this level. They have plenty of options and the difference in physical strength last week was very apparent.  Alloa have some good players and plenty of spirit but fact is that we are currently weaker than the side which won the play-offs. Still very light on numbers and a few good signings required. I do feel that narrowing our park is an OG from the club and was more of a hindrance than help last week. I suspect our players will be happier on the wider surface in Dingwall.   I'd be happy enough if we can put up a decent showing on Saturday, although I will also be pissed in a field near Kiltarlity. 

Saturday's game:

For me Trouten in the centre of the box, no defenders challenging  him, at 50 minutes odd drags a shot on goal wide when he probably should have scored. In my recollection probably the best chance up to that point from either team. 

My impression of Ross County was in the midfield they won the game. Their pressing was impressive. Stopped us playing any football.  While they were comfortable defensively,  going forward I don't think they were anything special. Which is why they opened the scoring with a shot into a crowd and a deflection, and then only got a second in the dying seconds after a bad error from the centre back and then a fortuitous drop to Paton's feet with Parry stranded on the ground.

Tomorrow's prediction:

Another solid 2-0 for County.

We've got tons of strikers now. Just need tons of goals. Wonder who will start?

I'd expect McManus and McKay but would have quite liked Dow to start. His work has impressed me recently, and later last season.

Our tasty selection also includes Morrison (unless anyone has heard different) and now Brian Graham and probably Ross Stewart.

Goals should be almost as likely to come from the wing and I'm hoping that Gardyne starts to score more goals this season, as he has not been too fruitful in front of goal for the last while. Keillor-Dun could do with getting his goal count going early as well, and Mullin has already scored in League Cup.

Archived