Prog

Richey Edwards

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2022 at 23:06, Wardy said:

Picked this up for £3 at the record fair in Kirkcaldy this morning. 🤘

8FBA8792-A843-412E-ADA1-30871DF9F875.jpeg

It's a tragedy that Yes are touring to celebrate the 50th anniversary without Anderson and Wakeman.

Steve Howe has turned Yes into a cross between The Buggles and Asia with a lead singer from a tribute band.

Chris Squire, Alan White and the real Yes RIP.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

12 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

It's a tragedy that Yes are touring to celebrate the 50th anniversary without Anderson and Wakeman.

Steve Howe has turned Yes into a cross between The Buggles and Asia with a lead singer from a tribute band.

Chris Squire, Alan White and the real Yes RIP.

It's basically Steve Howe's Yes Experience these days, and has been for a few years - I don't think he's a nice guy. 

Prog has been my genre of music since my teenage years, though I also had a jazz-rock period where I was heavily into the likes of Weather Report and Return to Forever. My first ever gig was Genesis' 1974/75 Lamb Lies Down tour at the Usher Hall.

Nowadays I listen to a mix of older music from the classic era prog bands (Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, PFM etc) and newer stuff from Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Pendragon, Ayreon, Devin Townsend, Glass Hammer, Wobbler, Riverside, Arena and IQ, plus many other talented but relatively obscure bands (Evership, Nemo/Jean-Pierre Louveton, Logos, Major Parkinson, Sylvan, Nexus etc). 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got into 70s prog some years back purely by accident, a result of the Amazon/Youtube 'if you like this you may like that' algorithms. Discovered the likes of Yes, Gentle Giant, Genesis etc. 

Was totally obsessed with early Yes for ages and bought lots of vinyl which I still revisit from time to time. Close to the Edge blew me away when I first heard it, going from 'wtf is this' to 'this is incredible' by the end of the first listen.

From a bit later on, this was another favourite due to the uniqueness of a main riff performed on a church organ. How very Rick Wakeman.

On 25/09/2022 at 10:58, The Skelpit Lug said:

Steve Hackett at Glasgow was outstanding. What a top team of musicians. First half of Hackett material then Foxtrot. Wonderful stuff. He's some guitarist.

First time i've missed him in years due to family commitments.   Good to hear it was a good gig.  

On 25/09/2022 at 10:58, The Skelpit Lug said:

Steve Hackett at Glasgow was outstanding. What a top team of musicians. First half of Hackett material then Foxtrot. Wonderful stuff. He's some guitarist.

Saw him at Gateshead on Thursday, was funny seeing Nad taking a few liberties with the lyrics, both time he realised he'd made an arse of it and gestured to the audience.

11 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Saw him at Gateshead on Thursday, was funny seeing Nad taking a few liberties with the lyrics, both time he realised he'd made an arse of it and gestured to the audience.

I think it must have been Steve's turn on Friday. At one point it looked like he got in a fankle with his pedals then gave the side of his head a dunt with his hand! Nad could sing the phone book and my wife still wouldn't complain.