Prog

Richey Edwards

There used to be a Prog thread on here but I can't find it. Either it has disappeared or I cannot read.

Anyway, I love a bit of Prog Rock. Genesis, Marillion, I.Q., Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Yes, Rush, Camel, Porcupine Tree, Gazpacho etc.

Gazpacho are well worth checking out.

Edited by Tynierose

I like a bit of prog - at it's best, it's ambitious, adventurous, and emotional - early Yes, early Genesis, some King Crimson, some Gentle Giant, a lot of Pink Floyd is magic  - can't really be doing with ELP.

Really admire Rush, but their music doesn't to much for me apart from a handful of tracks.

Same goes for Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree - really like the guy, and agree massively with 99% of his views, but I'm mostly unmoved by most of his music - the exceptions being the tracks Luminol and The Raven that Refused to Sing. :bairn

Prog on, fuckers! 8)

I like a bit of prog - at it's best, it's ambitious, adventurous, and emotional - early Yes, early Genesis, some King Crimson, some Gentle Giant, a lot of Pink Floyd is magic  - can't really be doing with ELP.

Really admire Rush, but their music doesn't to much for me apart from a handful of tracks.

Same goes for Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree - really like the guy, and agree massively with 99% of his views, but I'm mostly unmoved by most of his music - the exceptions being the tracks Luminol and The Raven that Refused to Sing. :bairn

Prog on, fuckers! 8)

Have you seen Steven Wilson live yet? His gig at Teatro Romano in Verona last month was amongst the best gigs I’ve ever seen...and that’s going back over 35 years of gigs.

Even on his new album To the Bone, there’s tracks such as Refuge, Detonation and Song of Unborn that are as good as anything from his Porcupine Tree days.....

8 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Have you seen Steven Wilson live yet? His gig at Teatro Romano in Verona last month was amongst the best gigs I’ve ever seen...and that’s going back over 35 years of gigs.

Even on his new album To the Bone, there’s tracks such as Refuge, Detonation and Song of Unborn that are as good as anything from his Porcupine Tree days.....

I haven't seem him live, but would like to - I was looking forward to the new album, especially as it features contributions from Andy Partridge and Mark Feltham, but my reaction to the tracks was kind of meh, sadly. 

It will surprise no one that I like my prog. From old school 1970s right through to new stuff. Going down to Manchester soon to see Pain Of Salvation who are utterly fantastic.

Next weekend at Bloodstock who have Gojira and Orphaned Land playing amongst many others. Both who are first class. 

Last week I was down in Leicester seeing Franck Carducci who was a huge amount of fun live. Lots of laughs and stage craft mixed with long pieces telling weird and wonderful stories.

Prog is actually pretty healthy at the moment whether it be the heavier end or the more ethereal types.

On 02/08/2018 at 22:23, paranoid android said:

I know very little of Rush beyond Spirit of Radio and a taped copy of 2112 borrowed from a friend when I was a teenager (far too long ago). However I stumbled across Time Stand Still on Sky Arts last night. Great viewing. 

I know very little of Rush beyond Spirit of Radio and a taped copy of 2112 borrowed from a friend when I was a teenager (far too long ago). However I stumbled across Time Stand Still on Sky Arts last night. Great viewing. 

No wonder time caught up with them. Massive tours and three hour sets every time.
Fantastic live band and incredible musicians.
Sad that they have pretty much gone now...

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of early Genesis, King Crimson, Yes, Camel, Marillion, Family, Jan Dukes de Grey and many more. I was listening to some Van der Graaf Generator a few days ago. Some of their stuff scares the shit out of me. I remember reading that their guitarist left the band after their 3rd or 4th albums as he felt a terrible dread with some of their song.  He rejoined them a few years later but had to be carried from the stage one time as someone in the crowd tried to do an exorcism of the band's music. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-6QXVFcczw

In the mid 1970’s, I was a big fan of Alan Freeman’s Rock Show on Saturday afternoons and can thank him for introducing me to a number of artists of whom I probably wouldn’t otherwise have heard.

One such example was Camel, who I quite liked. Later that night, I finally made it into the bedroom of a real live gurl. Sadly, nothing sexual took place but among other things, I noticed she had a poster on her wall of...Camel.

Must be a sign thinks I and partly hoping it would lead to me getting my hole (it didn’t), went out and bought an album. That was my first step into the world of prog rock. A world I occasionally visit even today.

It wasn’t until some time later, I realised the poster on the aforementioned gurl’s wall was in fact an advert for a brand of cigarettes.

• 1 year later...