Forfar versus Airdrie

No idea how he got MOTM though, Murray was our top performer, new guys not any better than what we have (as per usual)
Easton was ok, MOTM was between Hilson and Muzza though. I thought the new guys were pretty decent over the piece, though the Rangers lad was a bit clumsy in the tackle at times.
Worrying about our collapse, total control to total shambles by a couple of new subs and a 4-3-3 change of formation by Airdrie.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up to about 80 mins we were the better side and should have had it tied up. We still have Fraser to come in who should be a top player in this league and Whyte who would be 1st choice centre half for me. Still need some players as there's very little on the bench to alter it and could do with Dylan more central.

tbsouth all over the place, no surprise.

At about the 79 minute mark I texted my son to say we were 1-0 down and not playing well accompanied bythe usual sad face emoji.  A few mins later it's 2 then 3-1.

Based on the previous 79 mins Paddy Power would have given you at least 50/1 for the eventual score line as we were very poor up till that point.

As has been said elsewhere the Vitoria? and McIntosh substitutions changed our fortunes.  One lad behind the home goal in 2nd half was going mental at SF for not having brought on a sub before then (around 60 min  mark). SF must have heard him as the first sub came on almost right away.

Forfar must feel aggrieved they took nothing from the game as they were definitely on top and the better side until that last 10 mins. Last year  I might have expected a meek finish to a pretty terrible display but this team don't seem to know when they're beaten as shown by their performance against Hamilton last week.

Missed McDonald at LB today as thought much of their threat came from that side. I think young Josh Edwards could be a real find at left mid but LB isn't his best position.

Pleasing 3 points on the road - something we didn't achieve very often last year

Missed the game but great result considering the score with 10 minutes to go. Last year, and indeed most years before that, we would have lost that game so to win is an excellent result and showed some real fighting spirit. Wins like that will be crucial come the end of the season. Also what a difference it makes having players who can come off the bench and change a game. Again not had that in a long time. As for the chat RE starting McIntosh and Victoria - I think they are much better as impact subs. McIntosh's career would certainly suggest that is the case. And TBH a partnership of Carrick and Duffy is very good for this level. 

But anyway, winning 3-1 after being a goal behind. Away from home. Did not chuck away that two-goal lead. On the first game of the season. Is this what optimism feels like?

21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

McCallum looking suspect on all 3 for me.

Entire defence had a meltdown, Munro and especially Whyte should improve it.

Thought we played fine except for that meltdown, should have scored when we were on top in second half. Airdrie’s options on the bench turned the game.  Our bench, in comparison, was pretty tame.

Quite like how we are shaping up but Weir does seem to have assembled a team of midgets in comparison to others.

1 hour ago, Pesadilla said:

Yer man, tbsouth, having a bit of a stinker here.emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Not as much as our defence mind you...

It's going to be another long hard season, not much between 6 or 7 teams but the one's who aren't a bit street wise will struggle.

The first half of this game was fairly even, with a poor piece of decision making from Crighton (then a severe lack of communication from the back three all following one man, leaving Hilson free at the back post to tap in) proving to be the difference at the break.

Forfar came out after half time and had the best of the next 30 mins. They pressed the Airdrie defence well, leaving us to lump the ball up to Carrick/ Duffy. We just didn’t seem capable of holding onto the ball. Then Joao Victoria ([emoji7]) and Leighton McIntosh came on to change the game. Victoria in particular was excellent and worth of MotM for his performance. As soon as the first goal went in, a great bit of skill from Victoria, Fofar’s defence seemed to drop back a couple of yards and didn’t really know how to cope with McIntosh’s physicality. The second goal was a great finish from McIntosh and the third rounded off a superb last 15 minutes.

What a difference it is to have players coming off the bench capable of changing the game. Findlay will have a bit of a headache in deciding who to start up top next week, albeit I think he’ll stick with Carrick/ Duffy for now.

Forfar looked a decent side, and the front three of Baird/ Hilson/ Easton will cause plenty teams problems. I thought they were far better organised than us for a lot of the game.

All in all a good start to the league season but we’ll have to be better for the whole 90 minutes as we’ll no score three goals in the last 10 minutes every week. Hopefully the return of Millar instead of the largely ineffective Wilkie will help us do that.

Archived