Forfar versus Airdrie

This was the opening fixture of last season coincidentally, and most Airdrie fans expected nothing. In fact we were lucky to be able to put a team on the park.

Fast forward twelve months and its a much different picture. Whole new progressive boardroom, strength, depth and experience on the park. A decent pre-season and a cautiously optimistic support.

Airdrie expect a play off as a minimum this term, and many are now hoping for a title challenge.

I go 1-2 to the diamonds, with a goal each for Duffy and Carrick.

P.S. I hope Forfar have cut that stupid hedge. Needed a good prune last time I was up there.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the opening fixture of last season coincidentally, and most Airdrie fans expected nothing. In fact we were lucky to be able to put a team on the park.
Fast forward twelve months and its a much different picture. Whole new progressive boardroom, strength, depth and experience on the park. A decent pre-season and a cautiously optimistic support.
Airdrie expect a play off as a minimum this term, and many are now hoping for a title challenge.
P.S. I hope Forfar have cut that stupid hedge. Needed a good prune last time I was up there.

%24_1.jpg

What hedge???
That's Brechin!

2 hours ago, OTL2014 said:

We've not even cut the grass, never mind the hedge!

1-1.  Forfar to be all over Airdire first half but remaining goalless at the break.  Diamonds snatch the lead with an 86th minute effort deflecting off 3 defenders and a ballboy, only for Forfar to earn a draw with a last gasp never-in-a-million-years-was-that-a-penalty converted by Easton.

This thread to explode with all kinds of fury and seethe once the Airdire fans get home.

As an Airdrie supporter I’m hoping for a good season but trips to places like Forfar fill me with dread. They were a good bit better than us in the last game of last season  at Airdrie although we have a much stronger team now. It will be a tight match and I’d be delighted with any kind of win.

3 hours ago, el Gringo said:

2-0 Airdrie.

Taylor Morgan, Jacob Esposito and Kevin Schmidt with the goals.

3 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

2-2 written all over it.
A Matt Hazely tap in and a Michael Brown (he played for Feyenoord) thunderbast@rd should see us pick up the 3 points.

Or a last minute overhead kick winner from Scott Morton...

Cautiously optimistic about the season ahead. We're certainly in a much better place than we were this time last season and Station Park was the only ground outside of North Lanarkshire we won at last season. That being said, I've been reasonably impressed with Forfar's pre-season business. John Baird and Gary Fraser should be decent at this level. Would be happy with a point. 1-1 - a Fraser Keast howitzer from 40 yards. 

5 hours ago, dee_62 said:

We've not even cut the grass, never mind the hedge!

1-1.  Forfar to be all over Airdire first half but remaining goalless at the break.  Diamonds snatch the lead with an 86th minute effort deflecting off 3 defenders and a ballboy, only for Forfar to earn a draw with a last gasp never-in-a-million-years-was-that-a-penalty converted by Easton.

This thread to explode with all kinds of fury and seethe once the Airdire fans get home.

Quite like the humour in these posts especially when the Angus grounds get all mixed up from my Lanarkshire fellows. Can you cut all weather surfaces or was that a wee joke? Having been at the Grass sponsored stadium in Hamilton on Saturday and been impressed by our play, I am optimistic about this Forfar game.  It could of course be the opposite which would indeed be "Dire" for Airdrie .  Hoping to avoid that horrendous rain storm from the last visit. 

Nervous about how confident Airdrie fans are going into this one. Not seen the new look team though, but if I'm being honest, I can't really see how we'll win the league (as the hype suggests) having signed players mostly from the teams who finished around us. 

I'll settle for a play off spot.

Anyway, f**k that.....anything less than a 7 (seven) goal  victory for the champions elect is a failure. Fucking finger out Airdrie.

8 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Nervous about how confident Airdrie fans are going into this one. Not seen the new look team though, but if I'm being honest, I can't really see how we'll win the league (as the hype suggests) having signed players mostly from the teams who finished around us. 

I'll settle for a play off spot.

Anyway, f**k that.....anything less than a 7 (seven) goal  victory for the champions elect is a failure. Fucking finger out Airdrie.

We've a very strong and deep squad mate.   The board have backed the manager,  there are absolutely NO excuses and no wriggle room to set a low bar.  No talk of consolidating our league place, avoiding relegation, sneaking a playoff spot, etc.

We need promoted this season and we need crowds back in.  

The pressure is on.  2nd place and 3 figure crowds are an abject failure.

We have to be bullish and set new standards after a decade of failure and misery. 

3 hours ago, Airdrie1977 said:

We've a very strong and deep squad mate.   The board have backed the manager,  there are absolutely NO excuses and no wriggle room to set a low bar.  No talk of consolidating our league place, avoiding relegation, sneaking a playoff spot, etc.

We need promoted this season and we need crowds back in.  

The pressure is on.  2nd place and 3 figure crowds are an abject failure.

We have to be bullish and set new standards after a decade of failure and misery. 

Love this pre-season optimism.  Unfortunately, from personal experience, this seems to all but evaporate by 4:45pm on the first Saturday for most teams.  I wish you well this season - I've got a lot of time for your head coach and the good work he did with the youth team a few years ago. 

As you're first up against the Loons on Saturday though, I hope your team get handed a footballing lesson, the likes of which are generally reserved for visitors to the Nou Camp.  (there's my pre-season optimism ready to be burst too!)

6 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Love this pre-season optimism.  Unfortunately, from personal experience, this seems to all but evaporate by 4:45pm on the first Saturday for most teams.  I wish you well this season - I've got a lot of time for your head coach and the good work he did with the youth team a few years ago. 

This isn't optimism, its a demand.  

7 minutes ago, Airdrie1977 said:

This isn't optimism, its a demand.  

Well, your first paragraph is partly a demand.  Your last line is definitely a demand.  Your third point is a statement and your second point is more of a heartfelt plea that borders on desperation and leaves the reader questioning...oooh, what happens if you don't get up or get the bigger crowds...  I'll get the popcorn in and watch as this season unfolds.

Archived