Stenhousemuir - Brechin Relegation Decider!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Neilly said:

Forgot how numbing it is sharing a forum with the originalhedge.

Hopefully ourselves or Brechin go down I couldn't go back to back years with the dull farmer tbh.

3 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

:fish::fish::fish::Clap:

They obviously don't like getting it thrown back at them. 8)

Hats off to our team. Morgyn and Big Jesus strolled it 2nd half. Should have even got a 2nd. McGuigan’s miss after the keeper spilled Duthie’s shot was bad.

The funny thing is, as bad as the keeper was, he wasn’t the worst. That was a point and laugh performance from Brechin today.

Worry for us, gibbons suspended and Halleran injured to add to Paterson and Ferry in midfield. Thought the trialist looked decent though. Disappointed the Cyprus lad didn’t make an appearance though.

Enjoyed that a lot today. Stenhousemuir were in firm control until Kieron Gibbons' sending off just before the interval but, despite playing against 10 men for the second half, Brechin City never really got a firm grip of the game and didn't offer much other than the odd-half chance and deep crosses into the box. There were a couple of nervy moments but I never got the feeling Brechin believed in themselves; that losing habit must be terrible to shake off.

Gibbons really let himself down - his tackle that drew his first yellow card was needless - but the 10 players (and Colin McMenamin, who came on as a substitute) deserve a lot of credit for the way they stuck in and saw out the remainder of the game. Mark McGuigan was excellent as the lone attacker - he had the beating of Euan Smith all afternoon and his all-round link-up play was great - Connor Duthie did well on the right and looked dangerous whenever he drove forward, the trialist (Scott Lochhead, formerly of Dunfermline Athletic) was cool on the ball, Sean Dickson put in a shit and Ruaridh Donaldson motored up and down the flank all day.

The best player by some distance, however, was Morgyn Neill, who threw himself in front of everything, blocked everything and marshalled the back four so well. I can't really remember the last time we had such an aggressive centre-back - Scot Buist, maybe? - but he really looked the part.

What happened at the end of the game? I couldn't see from the control room but one of the Brechin players had be pushed away from confronting a supporter, and a trio of fans seemed to be having an impassioned conversation with a director.

Not my problem, though. A very welcome three points and a good platform to kick off the season with.

Good performance yesterday - Kieron Gibbons can only learn from his mistakes - but the resolute play in the second half was good to see and we should have had a second. Morgan Neill looked composed and Duthie and Dickson had good games. The trialist and Bobby Ray Vaughn  looked the part as well.  Brechin must wonder what they have got  but when you have a wrestler playing at the back you get what you deserve. Why Barry Cook did not deal with him sooner is only something he can answer as is the part where the Brechin player lifted hands and was not booked.

All in all a good start and if we can get the injuries sorted out quickly we may do well.

Gibbons just flying into people is not a shock to hear. The result will gloss over it but we can't be carrying passengers this season and it would appear two brainless bookings. 

May be a blessing in disguise if Lochead is as decent as people have said.

49 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Why Barry Cook did not deal with him sooner is only something he can answer as is the part where the Brechin player lifted hands and was not booked.

I don't like complaining about referees but every time there was a high ball to be contested, Euan Smith was all over Mark McGuigan, holding him, pulling at him, moving his arms all over him. I think he conceded one foul from this behaviour but there could have been about five or six before it.

It was good to see him getting booked later on in the game. There's something very satisfying about a referee pointing at different locations on the pitch and then flashing his card.

On 04/08/2018 at 18:44, Francesc Fabregas said:

The best player by some distance, however, was Morgyn Neill, who threw himself in front of everything, blocked everything and marshalled the back four so well. I can't really remember the last time we had such an aggressive centre-back - Scot Buist, maybe?

Would be a very good guest on Tell Him He's Pele.

I’ve had time now to asses the game , the highlights dont do stenny justic. in the first half, they completely dominated apart from a couple of moves and quick passing we showed nothing,

we are in serious trouble our signings have been terrible (except burns hill shields) Henry Moreno Boris and Brennan are way below the quality of player needed for this division, il add Lynas and Euan Smith to that also that’s half out starting 11 on sat, add to the mix we released Buzz who by mines and my sons account was the best player on the park just shows how inept Dodds is! He done the same with trouten a couple of years ago, he constantly replaces players with worse players

brennan , doesn’t control his box and look nervous poor

lynas , all heart but no reall ability poor 

smith, had a shocker!!!!

hill, solid played his game and distribution was good, won tackles and headers

spark, did ok 

moreno, terrible should of been hooked at half time

henry, was hooked at half time and can have no complaints

burns, did well tried had good delivery and wanted the ball

orsi, terrible first half good second

sinclair, nice touches but couldn’t get on the ball enough

shields, isolated and starved of any supply or support

midfields a massive problem for us Jackson fatter than me now surly that’s up to the manager not to let a player get that way! I know he’s been injured but he will take weeks to get back in shape and sadly I don’t think Dods has weeks

My turn now!! I do wonder if I'm being harsh on these guys as they are clearly being limited by absolutely inept management.

Brennan - clearly low on confidence and doesn't command his box. But has shown some signs that there is a good keeper there.

Burns - a decent enough player who I think will do well for us.

Hill - no complaints, our best defender by a long way.

Pabs - we know what he's all about but has struggled under Dods management.

E Smith - had an absolute mare on Saturday, would like to try him in midfield again.

J Tapping - there is a reason why he's been playing for Shire for years.

Lynas - Totally out of his depth, has looked a junior player since the end our promotion season. 100% commitment and effort but not good enough.

Spark - A squad player, nothing more.

Morena - Was impressed by him through pre-season but no composure on the ball whatsoever since then. Just lumps it anywhere.

Henry - What does he even offer us? Just a panic signing to boost numbers.

C Tapping - Has looked a class act so far and 100% commitment.

SInclair - A talented player that is being strangled by the lack of football being played.

Orsi - Too hot and cold for my liking.

Shields - A player that should be able to do a job for us but just seems to be going through the motions. Needs to put himself about more.

Jackson - Disagree with comment above, doesn't look any more overweight than what he was before his injury. Still short of fitness but will be a big player if he can get back to the player he was.

Melingui - Still haven't seen enough of him to make a proper judgement as yet. Got himself into a good position for our only shot on goal on Sat.

Take the pish management out of the equation and we are a couple of decent loan signings short of a side that should be comfortably mid-table/pushing for playoffs. Under Dods I can't see anything other than a relegation scrap. The football we play is absolutely horrendous, why can't the committee see this?

On 8/4/2018 at 18:44, Francesc Fabregas said:

What happened at the end of the game? I couldn't see from the control room but one of the Brechin players had be pushed away from confronting a supporter, and a trio of fans seemed to be having an impassioned conversation with a director.

I only saw Spark having a go back at one of the fans. Don't know what was said and unless it was personal, Spark needs to take a look at himself. These supporters have put up with a lot of shit over the last year and must be about 40 games without a league win now. They are completely within their right to criticize but from where I was sitting most of it was aimed at the manager. A lot of the fans have been quite reserved especially against harder teams last year but the reaction at full time on Saturday showed that they've had enough. Losing against a side that is expected to be down at the bottom, with a man advantage, only having one shot on goal is totally unacceptable.

There must have been around 100 City fans at Stenny on Saturday which is an absolutely superb support given the way we are playing. Let down yet again.

Archived