The Cabbage vs The Steelmen

We looked a better team with Bigi and Johnson in it. Was expecting a defeat but it was one of those games that Hibs took their chances in the first half and then managed the lead well enough in the second half.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be swathes of pished gussets over that loss today but although not going that far, I think there are vanishly few positives to take from what was an utterly comfortable shree points for Hibs.

I rarely get stuck in to the manager as I like him and think he's generally done a great job but today frustrated me on a couple of counts. 

Firstly - I think that keeping it tight for an hour against a team that will probably tire is a perfectly legitimate tactic - but to attempt it without a single player who is comfortable on the ball on midfield is faintly ludicrous. If you can't keep possession, you aren't going to work the other team and actually make them tired. 

Linked to that - it was baffling to rely on Bigi who you haven't done the courtesy of getting him match fit in preseason. I thought he did fine but why is he right for a game against one of the best teams in the country if he cant get enough time against the poorest teams? 

Two things that seem evident at this early stage is that it's Sammon OR Main and Johnson up front and we shouldn't start another game without a footballer in midfield, even when Campbell is available..

36 minutes ago, Zing. said:

It was funny seeing you pipe up early doors on the Hibernian European tour thread, bud. 

4E15F417-7E52-44BA-A349-E347901682B7.jpeg.de8bea4bd25fd8f43782d9c8b726288a.jpeg

I should have known better than to trust the Greek St Johnstone, tbf.

Agree with everything @Swello said.

While Robinson can say we were comfortable up until the free kick, if you can’t retain possession or get yourselves up the park you’re just inviting pressure and a team like Hibs have players in the final third that can/will eventually punish you. 

On the strikers, Main looks a shadow of the player he was last season and much more like the big huddy that Portsmouth/Doncaster fans told us we were getting. Just like last week Johnson done more in his 20 minute cameo to impress than the other 2 did the full game.

Actually think we miss Bowman, he’s far more aggressive and does an excellent job of being the foil for the main striker. The Hibs back 3 absolutely bullied Main and Sammon today, who couldn’t have looked any less on the same page. 

McGinn and Bartley ran over the top of our powderpuff midfield as well, if they’re not going to be physical then what’s the point in guys like Rose and Grimshaw being on the pitch? Certainly not to create anything anyway, think Bigi hit more forward passes in 45 mins than the rest of our midfield has managed over the course of 5 games so far this season combined.

Linked to that - it was baffling to rely on Bigi who you haven't done the courtesy of getting him match fit in preseason. I thought he did fine but why is he right for a game against one of the best teams in the country if he cant get enough time against the poorest teams? 

Robinson said that Bigi was going back to England for family reasons but the situation has now changed in his interview on our twitter. It would explain why he never played in the cup games.

Got exactly what I expected from that game today. 

Although we were short of a few bodies, so too were Hibs, and I doubt we'll be the only side to lose by a few there this season. Even if they lose McGinn they're still a very decent side. 

Next weeks starting 11 should be a good indicator of how Robinson plans to go with things this season. 

We were better in the second half with Bigi and Johnson in the team, so surely they should have played themselves into a starting slot against Accies. 

If you can't go with a positive line up at home to a side who are certain to be in the relegation mix, then there's no hope of guys like Bigi or Gorrin getting a starting berth elsewhere. 

The position next Saturday should be to go with a positive line up and get a positive result, as there are a few tough games on the horizon where points may well be again at a premium. 

2 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Robinson said that Bigi was going back to England for family reasons but the situation has now changed in his interview on our twitter. It would explain why he never played in the cup games.

I might just  be in a cynical mood after the scudding today - but (a) family reasons is the trusty catch-all for everything when a player isn't working out and (b) he patently didn't trust Bigi last season when his family was presumably without reasons....

Next week against Accies will tell us more than today did. Hibs are a very good side and most teams will struggle at Easter Road this year, but a home game against Hamilton is a game we need to be winning. I hope to see Johnson start next week at the expense of Main who was yet again awful today and looked disinterested.

9 minutes ago, Swello said:

I might just  be in a cynical mood after the scudding today - but (a) family reasons is the trusty catch-all for everything when a player isn't working out and (b) he patently didn't trust Bigi last season when his family was presumably without reasons....

I don't think that's an unreasonable position tbh. I'd say your cynicism is justified.

It's an interesting quote that weirdly seems to get cut off:"Initially we thought that Bigi would probably leave the club, he wanted to get back down south but we spoke to the boy and he's back in the squad and back in the fold again and he came on with a point prove and I thought he was.......[video ends]"

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Improving 12-19 has gone fucking tremendously hasn't it? At least we've got an Astroturf dug out and some protective seat covers though.

I couldn't greenie it on Steelmen but your Libero line made me do a loud laugh with unconvincing cough follow-up on the bus home - cheers.....

59 minutes ago, MJC said:

Next week against Accies will tell us more than today did. Hibs are a very good side and most teams will struggle at Easter Road this year, but a home game against Hamilton is a game we need to be winning. I hope to see Johnson start next week at the expense of Main who was yet again awful today and looked disinterested.

Perhaps but Hibs played about 15 minutes of football today and hit the stand by button at quarter past four and still won 3-0.

Agree about Main.  He has 2 goals in his last 14 league matches all of which were starts....

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I won't be back at Fir Park until Liam Donnelly shaves.

I think that is a perfectly fair comment. Imagine how more aerodynamic he would be. 

I did not expect much from today’s game. Summed up by the fact that Hibs have sold 13,500 season tickets v our 3500. A rough guess means that is £3-4 million is extra gate money. That buys you a much better squad.  Still I would like for us to put up a bit more of a fight. 

We are missing few key players and with Kipre sold our defence was makeshift and it showed. 

Main is a shadow of the player he was end of last season. Almost like a different player and poorer one at that. Johnson came on and did more in last 20 minutes than Sammon and Main combined. Hope he starts v Accies next week.

A worrying start but early days and I shall wait until after Accies and Livvy cup game before I form an opinion on the season ahead. 

Hibs will finish top 4 and good luck to them in Europe this week. 

We were shocking today. Midfield an absolute shambles. Even after Hibs got the cigars out we didn't offer much and couldn't take our chances. Disappointing.

Archived