The Cabbage vs The Steelmen

East vs West(ish). Green vs Amber. Leafy veg vs metal homosapien. 

Hibs come into this on the back of a tough European Away tie in Greece. Motherwell come into this on back of some sort of League Cup group stage thing that they don’t invite the big clubs to. 

Who will win? I’ll put my mortgage on there being more than 9 goals.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So going from having 4 top-drawer centre-backs 2 weeks ago, to now going into the opening fixture with 2 of them injured, one of them as unfit and off-the-pace as I've seen in a long time after 7 months out, and one who's form has dropped off a cliff.....

Image result for bad feeling about this

Heading along and looking forward to it.  Was rather it was a Saturday but hopefully Hibs can do the business in Greece this week. As long as they are knackered for the game at the weekend.

I expect Hibs to be top 4 again - so an away tie v top 4 is a big challenge. We seem to have a stronger squad but we have injuries and suspensions for this game.  Not least Campbell (suspended) and Dunne (injured). Hopefully Cadden, Bowman and McHugh are OK or we could be without 5 1st team players to select from at least 3 or 4 would have started.

I will put a few bob on 2.5+ goals - so as a direct result it will end 0-0 or 1-1.  Otherwise this does look like a 4-3 or 4-2 type game with both defences likely to concede.

Sadly I think we will probably lose, but hopefully we play reasonably well and give us some hope for the season ahead.  

Would take a draw and a point.

I think after Celtic, Hibs were as hard a team to play against as any last season - with the pace they have, they did more to exploit our system than any of the other Top 6 teams, so not an ideal opener for the team but a good trip to start with even if it's a sunday.

We don't look totally ready for the season but this game will be more instructive than the Betfred games as we will not be expected to make all the running and will be doing our standard "keeping it tight for an hour" schtick before trying to get something later on in the game, where Hibs may be more tired than us. When we played in Greece at this point in the year in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE*, I was exhausted just watching and although Hibs aren't in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE*  and they won't get the chasing that we got off Panathin Parathan our greek opponents, you'd imagine that they will have a hard game and it might have an effect at this stage of the season. In both games at ER last season, Hibs started great and faded away and we got stronger - so it wouldn't be a surprise.

All that said, narrow defeat for the 'Well here I think...

Spoiler

*qualifiers

Generally very impressed with Hibs. A collection of some of the best players in the league alongside some very able players. Campbell being suspended is a real blow for the entertainment value, as Campbell v McGinn in the games last year was a terrific battle.

Going for 4-4. A couple of screamers and everyone goes home happy on the opening day.

Hibs look a lot weaker than last year ( accepting I know nothing of their new players ).  If they lose McGinn too, I reckon we'll be in for a season of Lennon meltdowns.  

Sammon, best outside bet to be premiership top scorer, worth a tenner for a bit of interest, to score.  I'll go a draw in this one. 

Anyway, Hibees, good luck in Greece. I'm sick of seeing Scottish teams exit Europe early doors. 

Good to hear Motherwells defence is struggling, given how we have done at the back this season it could be a basketball score.

We may have a couple of new faces in for Sunday, but again (in classic Hibs style) all in forward positions where its at the back we look humpty.

Long range shot to Boggin Bogdan is a nailed on goal - this one has 5-5 written all over it

From what I've seen from us so far in the League Cup then I really fear for us here. Add to that Campbell being suspended and our midfield being non-existant without him then I can only see a sound drubbing here.

4-1 Hibs.

4 hours ago, MJC said:

From what I've seen from us so far in the League Cup then I really fear for us here. Add to that Campbell being suspended and our midfield being non-existant without him then I can only see a sound drubbing here.

4-1 Hibs.

The Motherwell equivalent of Groundhog Day !

Archived