Reincarnation

banana

Poll  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Reincarnation, like the idea of your soul going off to live in some magical paradise or burning in a lake of fire (depending on your conduct on Earth), is just another symptom of the vanity of humanity (that rhymes innit?) which gave birth to the idea that our particular species has a divine status above all other creatures on the planet and our "souls" will always exist even though our bodies eventually stop functioning and decompose.

I call bullshit on it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

It's not really impossible to disprove though, the physics doesn't add up with this sort of thing. Brian Cox has said similar things about ghosts in the past; “If we want some sort of pattern that carries information about our living cells to persist then we must specify precisely what medium carries that pattern and how it interacts with the matter particles out of which our bodies are made". If we're to be reincarnated, part of us must be carried into the "next life". If you're saying that's possible then you should be able to identify how that information is carried, or at the very least present a theory as to how that could work.  Brian Cox also surmises that if ghosts or particles which could carry the information of dead people did exist, then we'd have found evidence of them already at the LHC.

He is assuming, incorrectly, that we have discovered 'everything' about 'everything'. We're not even close. 

28 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

He is assuming, incorrectly, that we have discovered 'everything' about 'everything'. We're not even close. 

He really isn't assuming that at all. Otherwise he would stop working as a Scientist, because we know everything. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's not really impossible to disprove though, the physics doesn't add up with this sort of thing. Brian Cox has said similar things about ghosts in the past; “If we want some sort of pattern that carries information about our living cells to persist then we must specify precisely what medium carries that pattern and how it interacts with the matter particles out of which our bodies are made". If we're to be reincarnated, part of us must be carried into the "next life". If you're saying that's possible then you should be able to identify how that information is carried, or at the very least present a theory as to how that could work.  Brian Cox also surmises that if ghosts or particles which could carry the information of dead people did exist, then we'd have found evidence of them already at the LHC.

This is highly simplistic, and full of faulty assumptions and nonsequiturs.

To be able to make these judgements, it assumes we already have perfect or near perfect understanding, measurement, and manipulation of physics, the nature of the universe, reality. Which we don't, and it's very likely we know very little in the grand scheme.

In this absence of knowledge and expertise, these questions fall in realm of the very extremes of theoretical physicists, and philosophers and theologians, not just celebrity particle physicists!

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

A lot of people who believe in reincarnation seem to be of the assumption they will be reincarnated back to earth as another life-form. It is possible to be reincarnated as an entirely different entity all together as energy of sorts. This is deemed to be the highest form of reincarnation as it lacks a physical need for matter to exist as a being and does not restrict your entity from passing through solid matter.

Christianity has the believe that your soul "energy" will pass onto the higher plain of existence to be converted back into a physical body in a place called heaven where you shall live forever only if you have been a good soul on Earth. I don't think heaven will be populated very well at all with everyone sinning left,right &centre.

As for Brian Cox? his opinion and belief is restrained to parameters that non believers adhere as the gospel even if most of his shite he peddles is only "theory" until proven as fact at a later date if it even existed at all in theory.

Science can't always be right and has over many years disproved itself on so many levels you'd be a fool if you believed everything the Tefal heids told you was the truth and fact, when they regularly f**k things up because at the time the theory and the data hinted/proved/suggested and ultimately no other smart arse could disprove the theory and it became part of the science fields truths they tell us is fact and finite.

I wouldn't be fucking surprised if someone eventually invented a device that could detect intelligent energy patterns in the atmosphere and also in matter. That might cause some lolsa through debates amongst the Tefal heids and the believers. :lol:

13 hours ago, Edmond Dantès said:

Reincarnation, like the idea of your soul going off to live in some magical paradise or burning in a lake of fire (depending on your conduct on Earth), is just another symptom of the vanity of humanity (that rhymes innit?) which gave birth to the idea that our particular species has a divine status above all other creatures on the planet and our "souls" will always exist even though our bodies eventually stop functioning and decompose.

I call bullshit on it.

Out of all the ways we've thought of to try and control people this is one of my favourites. 

I'm not sure how much social climbing goes on though. If you've hit rock bottom how can you move up? What makes a good slug?  All maggots can fly, but what about woodlouses(lice)?

6 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

A lot of people who believe in reincarnation seem to be of the assumption they will be reincarnated back to earth as another life-form. It is possible to be reincarnated as an entirely different entity all together as energy of sorts. This is deemed to be the highest form of reincarnation as it lacks a physical need for matter to exist as a being and does not restrict your entity from passing through solid matter.

Christianity has the believe that your soul "energy" will pass onto the higher plain of existence to be converted back into a physical body in a place called heaven where you shall live forever only if you have been a good soul on Earth. I don't think heaven will be populated very well at all with everyone sinning left,right &centre.

As for Brian Cox? his opinion and belief is restrained to parameters that non believers adhere as the gospel even if most of his shite he peddles is only "theory" until proven as fact at a later date if it even existed at all in theory.

Science can't always be right and has over many years disproved itself on so many levels you'd be a fool if you believed everything the Tefal heids told you was the truth and fact, when they regularly f**k things up because at the time the theory and the data hinted/proved/suggested and ultimately no other smart arse could disprove the theory and it became part of the science fields truths they tell us is fact and finite.

I wouldn't be fucking surprised if someone eventually invented a device that could detect intelligent energy patterns in the atmosphere and also in matter. That might cause some lolsa through debates amongst the Tefal heids and the believers. :lol:

TLDR version - science can't always be right so I believe any unsubstantiated pish going. 

W_RX77QH-VlV3xatYzTVyYm0G6U=.gif

8 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

"Intelligent energy force". Whit.

16 hours ago, The OP said:

TLDR version - science can't always be right so I believe any unsubstantiated pish going. 

W_RX77QH-VlV3xatYzTVyYm0G6U=.gif

I'm sure I did post "theories" and not what we know as science fact. You know the basic things like hydrogen and oxygen combined makes water etc etc are fact, but guessing what is at the centre of the Earth is theory along side do black holes exist and how do we find something that doesn't emit a single fucking wavelength because it's theorized gravity just sucks everything into it.

15 hours ago, The Moonster said:

"Intelligent energy force". Whit.

Something that reacts to another force like matter that appears to have intelligent interaction when either asked for a response or interaction on some level that cannot be described as either random or an anomaly. Just for talking sakes, a spirit or ghost or just some inter-dimensional  being lacking a physical body checking out the animal fight club zoo that is Earth. Religion preaches a soul as energy and speaks of Angels and the like without physical form.

9 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

I'm sure I did post "theories" and not what we know as science fact. You know the basic things like hydrogen and oxygen combined makes water etc etc are fact, but guessing what is at the centre of the Earth is theory along side do black holes exist and how do we find something that doesn't emit a single fucking wavelength because it's theorized gravity just sucks everything into it.

Something that reacts to another force like matter that appears to have intelligent interaction when either asked for a response or interaction on some level that cannot be described as either random or an anomaly. Just for talking sakes, a spirit or ghost or just some inter-dimensional  being lacking a physical body checking out the animal fight club zoo that is Earth. Religion preaches a soul as energy and speaks of Angels and the like without physical form.

Interesting that you hope for scientific methods  to prove religious theory whilst disparaging those self same methods. Science can only ever provide our best guess at the truth and is always open to a better theory based on the available evidence. It doesn't claim infallibility.

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Interesting that you hope for scientific methods  to prove religious theory whilst disparaging those self same methods. Science can only ever provide our best guess at the truth and is always open to a better theory based on the available evidence. It doesn't claim infallibility.

True, but it doesn't stop folk from believing it's the absolute truth though. Having to explain theory from fact to people can be quite a complicated process.

I just wish they'd fucking tell us on TV programs that the things they are talking about are either a theory based on which data/assumption/source suggests why they believe this is so, or if it is fact by saying this is what we actually know for sure and here is the evidence. People need to know this sort of shit.

7 minutes ago, hellbhoy said:

True, but it doesn't stop folk from believing it's the absolute truth though. Having to explain theory from fact to people can be quite a complicated process.

I just wish they'd fucking tell us on TV programs that the things they are talking about are either a theory based on which data/assumption/source suggests why they believe this is so, or if it is fact by saying this is what we actually know for sure and here is the evidence. People need to know this sort of shit.

I've got a theory the sun will come up tomorrow morning even if it's obscured by cloud. I would bet everything I have on it including anything I could borrow, but it's still only a theory. For normal conversation, making a documentary or planning your life, it's a lot easier just to consider it a fact. 

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've got a theory the sun will come up tomorrow morning even if it's obscured by cloud. I would bet everything I have on it including anything I could borrow, but it's still only a theory. For normal conversation, making a documentary or planning your life, it's a lot easier just to consider it a fact. 

Splitting hairs. Try this one? I have a theory that at some point I'll submit a post on P&B that I'll completely make a c**t of it. :)

And there in lies the problem chatting with people who just consider it fact when a particular topic comes up in conversation. Conversations can become debates and then quickly onto heated exchanges followed by frothing at the mouth slabber assaults at many decibels before bodily contact and so on.

Got a belter from the pastor at the church I work in. I was winding up the pastor about how some of the things he believed in were theoretically impossible by science. Eventually I said the universe was made by the big bang and God couldn't have had anything to do with it. He turned around looked at me and then said calmly "Who do you think made the bang and was it theoretically possible that it was God?"He then quoted the first lines of the bible as well! Smart guy my pastor. :lol:

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Happy to wager anything that you possess that the sun will not rise tomorrow.  

Ah, religion. Goodbye.

Like so many people you don't seem to grasp the difference between scientific theory and the everyday use of the word theory. A scientific theory isn't unsubstantiated.

Also, that "hydrogen and oxygen combined makes water etc etc" is an observation, not a fact. Scientists don't really use the word fact because they recognise that our understanding of the world is constantly changing. That does not mean that there is any weight to reincarnation or your ramblings about spirits, ghosts, souls and angels. 

17 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Ah, religion. Goodbye.

I'm not a bible basher by the way. The thread title is about a topic which is rooted in religion as well as theoretical science. I think I was trying to cover both subjects in one topic? I think?

16 hours ago, The OP said:

Like so many people you don't seem to grasp the difference between scientific theory and the everyday use of the word theory. A scientific theory isn't unsubstantiated.

Also, that "hydrogen and oxygen combined makes water etc etc" is an observation, not a fact. Scientists don't really use the word fact because they recognise that our understanding of the world is constantly changing. That does not mean that there is any weight to reincarnation or your ramblings about spirits, ghosts, souls and angels. 

Fair point OP, I did sort of dismiss the banterific use of theory in everyday life. I probably took the subject a little too seriously. And actually there are things that the intellectual boffins in the academic community declare as science fact, just saying like. :whistle

Archived