When you snuff it.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this for the first time yesterday, visiting my other half's dead gran in a resting room ahead of the funeral next week. Rest of the family were saying "it's good to see her looking so peaceful" but to me there's nothing at all peaceful looking about a still stone cold white corpse lying expressionless face up in a box.

I'm one of those people with a morbid sense of curiosity and a strong stomach but I just found it very, very uncomfortably creepy, particularly when people started talking to her as if she could hear. Just, nope.

Eta: just found out we're going back later today. That'll be fun.

Wifes auntie done this with her dad. Had the poor guy lying in the house in an open coffin. Apparently her granddaughter who was only 6 at the time was going up to him, talking to him, offering him sweets etc and then the poor bairn had nightmares that night (unsurprisingly).

13 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Wifes auntie done this with her dad. Had the poor guy lying in the house in an open coffin. Apparently her granddaughter who was only 6 at the time was going up to him, talking to him, offering him sweets etc and then the poor bairn had nightmares that night (unsurprisingly).

at one time every body would be in the house in a open coffin not sure when it all began to change Can remember having a conversation one night with a friend He said that when his grandfather died he went to see him in his coffin He said that was the first thing he thinks about when he remembers him and there was no way would he do it again when his gran died  I never forgot that so 20year later when my mum died there was no way i was going to visit her in her coffin after that conversation No regrets at all

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Don't care who it is, no chance I'm ever going to a funeral where I'll see the deceased. 

As for me, carve me up for organs, burn what's left and throw it in the Clyde. 

We'll be round at eleven-thirty on Tuesday.

I had a humanist for my dads funeral last month. My two sisters and I gathered up some memories from the family and gave them to some humanist wifie who wrote a beautiful piece.  Was a decent send off which meant something to the folk that were there rather than the sky fairy pish.

The wife, being a massive Catholic, introduced me to long boring funerals where you had to go into some poor c***s  living room to look at the fucker lying in the coffin. Why the f**k would you want a memory like that? 

41 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I had a humanist for my dads funeral last month. My two sisters and I gathered up some memories from the family and gave them to some humanist wifie who wrote a beautiful piece.  Was a decent send off which meant something to the folk that were there rather than the sky fairy pish.

The wife, being a massive Catholic, introduced me to long boring funerals where you had to go into some poor c***s  living room to look at the fucker lying in the coffin. Why the f**k would you want a memory like that? 

To size the gaff up, obviously:

A relative of mine had a Humanist funeral a few months back there and I didn't think it was great. The eulogy the celebrant had initially written was a bit of a shambles and we had to make a few changes to it for it to be more appropriate. 

The service itself was in quite a run down crematorium. When the service finished there was another funeral waiting to go in which I didn't like - it felt very rushed and impersonal. That being said, not every humanist funeral I've been to was like that and I think the person who had died just wanted things to be short and sweet so we could all get pished after it so she probably wouldn't have had any complaints. 

My Grandad on the other side of the family had the full blown Catholic funeral last year which I found to be far more personal. It was held in the Church he'd been going to his entire life, with the music done by the local brass band that he'd been a member of for years too. It's quite a small but very Catholic community so the funerals are always quite well attended. Overall I just found it a lot more poignant. Although I do appreciate that it can drag itself out a bit, especially if you're doing the wake in the house, a vigil the night before and the funeral mass itself. Can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea. 

On 10/7/2018 at 09:47, GordonD said:

I thought Chinese funerals were more of a celebration thing rather than doom and gloom. Or am I just assuming that because they wear white?

Asking a Chinese girl tonight about funerals They do not wear white  After the body has been laid to rest they have a oil drum in which they light a fire in and stand around it burning money in the fire to help the deceased in the new life that they believe in  Kind of defeats the purpose as they are using fake money bought from the Chinese cash and carry!They then go to a Chinese Restaurant for a 3 course meal starting with the dessert first and finishing with the starter She has no idea why Thats about it as far as i know

I think it's fair to say we've become a bit squeamish and generally feart of everything surrounding death in Scotland over the past few centuries. Probably for understandable reasons, trying to protect children from becoming upset at things that are actually part of life and then trying to sanitise everything. I don't actually think it helps. Death, like birth, is part of life and "western" cultures struggle to deal with this. We can't even seem to acknowledge the word "death" these days - it's s/he passed away. I'm not convinced that this is a healthy way forward...

1 hour ago, maicoman said:

When a Chinese kid is born that is its 1st birthday  Wonder if it helps them to get their pension a year quicker than the rest of us!

Technically, it’s their only birthday. The following celebrations are anniversaries of that birthday.

HTH.

On 10/8/2018 at 20:37, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Another element of Chinese culture I enjoy is that rather than getting a cake on your birthday, you get a long noodle, signifying a long life.

Probably quite disappointing while growing up, but you really can't beat a long noodle.

What if you've already been blessed with a long noodle? Can you give it to someone else?

Archived