Queens v St Johnstone

Guest Flash
7 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Megabus to either Perth,then supporters bus. Or Megabus to Glasgow then train, job done.

The X74 bus from Glasgow is cheaper than the train - £14.10 return. First one after the game is at 17.45 arr Glasgow 19.55. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good draw for both clubs in terms of progression. Having looked into trains from Aberdeen and back the cheapest I’m finding is £68. Too much for a game these days for me [emoji1304]

Just get yourself along to Pittodrie instead mate.

• 2 weeks later...
But you won't be able to play your top quality quick silky passing on our sticky artificial pitch. [emoji14]

You realise that the only two people on this forum who are going to "get" the Eric Martindale reference are you and me (and even I can't quite remember exactly what it was about, just something about a controversial decision favouring you at Palmerston that had us all frothing back in the day)?

I get the reference. I was a lot younger but I still remember that game. Easily one of the worst refereeing displays I've ever witnessed at Palmerston. I'm sure we were surprisingly 1 up and from then on it looked as if that clown was doing his best to help Saints back into the game. The cherry on the cake being him somehow missing Jim Thomson being bear-hugged in the lead-up to the Saints winner.

I never saw him referee a game after that and often wonder if he realised himself he was utterly awful.

Good weather forecast for the week, means that Queens won't get away with deliberately not watering the pitch to hamper our silky passing game.

Got the absolute fear about facing Stephen Dobbie again. A decade hasn't diluted the pain of what he used to do to us.

Do Queens play 4-4-2?

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Good weather forecast for the week, means that Queens won't get away with deliberately not watering the pitch to hamper our silky passing game.

Got the absolute fear about facing Stephen Dobbie again. A decade hasn't diluted the pain of what he used to do to us.

Do Queens play 4-4-2?

According to some,  yes,  but don't be surprised to see Dobbie ploughing a lone furrow up front. 

Do Queens play 4-4-2?
If our shape is as bad as the first half on Saturday/Dobbie is left isolated up top it'll be a very comfortable Saints win. If we start like we did in the second half then we may well have a shot at getting something from it.

At Evens I think Saints are a very generous price.

If Tommy Wright expects Queens to go 4-4-2, I think he'll just match up and hope that the better players, in theory, can come out on top.

Clark

Foster - Gordon - Kerr - Tanser

Wright - Davidson - Craig - Kennedy

McMillan - Watt

Subbies: Mitchell,  Shaughnessy, Wotherspoon, Alston, Scougall, McClean/McCann/G Hurst, McClean/McCann/G Hurst.

On 13/08/2018 at 10:21, Radford said:

It's just a shame you still haven't got Alan Main in goals.

51 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

@Skyline Drifter Why do you have this queue for a ticket then queue to get in system that a couple of others use? There's obviously a reason for it but I can't see the advantage to fans of having to queue twice. Just genuinely interested.

There are quite a few clubs use that system, including clubs like Hibs, Partick Thistle and Rangers right down to ourselves and Annan Athletic. There's no real advantage to the fans, but then there's no real disadvantage either. The advantage is all to the club. I don't really see why it should cause people to have to queue twice. It clearly takes longer to buy and pay for a ticket than it does to have a stub ripped off it at a turnstile. If people buy their tickets and go straight through the turnstile it should be pretty much free flowing. There are also more turnstiles than ticket offices. The queues should only be at the ticket offices.

Advantages: Security, fraud prevention, staffing, the need to carry much less cash float for change (also one of the ticket offices has a credit card machine to allow people to buy on plastic which you couldn't do at a turnstile, though granted that's no real help to away fans). It's a lot easier to find 3 or 4 trusted ticket sellers than it is to get a dozen trusted turnstile attendants. We've found it works pretty well and certainly a significant improvement on the days when it was direct payment at the turnstile.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There are quite a few clubs use that system, including clubs like Hibs, Partick Thistle and Rangers right down to ourselves and Annan Athletic. There's no real advantage to the fans, but then there's no real disadvantage either. The advantage is all to the club. I don't really see why it should cause people to have to queue twice. It clearly takes longer to buy and pay for a ticket than it does to have a stub ripped off it at a turnstile. If people buy their tickets and go straight through the turnstile it should be pretty much free flowing. There are also more turnstiles than ticket offices. The queues should only be at the ticket offices.

Advantages: Security, fraud prevention, staffing, the need to carry much less cash float for change (also one of the ticket offices has a credit card machine to allow people to buy on plastic which you couldn't do at a turnstile, though granted that's no real help to away fans). It's a lot easier to find 3 or 4 trusted ticket sellers than it is to get a dozen trusted turnstile attendants. We've found it works pretty well and certainly a significant improvement on the days when it was direct payment at the turnstile.

We only (generally) don’t have queues at the turnstiles because our crowds are so small. For any crowds of a decent size, where there would be queues at the turnstiles under the patg system, you would queue twice. With the first wait being very much longer than the second one. This probably applies more to away fans with decent sized supports who haven’t been issued with tickets in advance. For home fans, it is generally only a queue for the tickets, with none (or not much) at the gates. 

57 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Many thanks for a full reply.

57 minutes ago, Flash said:

We only (generally) don’t have queues at the turnstiles because our crowds are so small. For any crowds of a decent size, where there would be queues at the turnstiles under the patg system, you would queue twice. With the first wait being very much longer than the second one. This probably applies more to away fans with decent sized supports who haven’t been issued with tickets in advance. For home fans, it is generally only a queue for the tickets, with none (or not much) at the gates. 

I genuinely don't understand this? Why is there a second queue. There is one away ticket office with two people serving at it. The two away turnstiles are about 15 feet away from the office. You buy your ticket (which means you'll stand in a queue to do so granted) and then you walk to the turnstile, present it and get in, something which should be quicker than the actual buying process. Why should there be a second queue? By the time the next ticket purchaser has bought and paid for his ticket the first person should be long since in, subject to a family group or something holding up an individual behind who had the right money. I'd understand if some of the away fans already had tickets, either by having advance bought them at their own club or I suppose by coming down early to get them and then going to the pub to save queuing nearer the kick off time (or I suppose by having bought at another ticket office). In that situation then there could be a late jam at the turnstile but if you are buying then going directly in there should be no second queue, or very little.

Or is there a steward search at the turnstile? Is that what holds things up? Hadn't thought of that.:unsure2:

31 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I genuinely don't understand this? Why is there a second queue. There is one away ticket office with two people serving at it. The two away turnstiles are about 15 feet away from the office. You buy your ticket (which means you'll stand in a queue to do so granted) and then you walk to the turnstile, present it and get in, something which should be quicker than the actual buying process. Why should there be a second queue? By the time the next ticket purchaser has bought and paid for his ticket the first person should be long since in, subject to a family group or something holding up an individual behind who had the right money. I'd understand if some of the away fans already had tickets, either by having advance bought them at their own club or I suppose by coming down early to get them and then going to the pub to save queuing nearer the kick off time (or I suppose by having bought at another ticket office). In that situation then there could be a late jam at the turnstile but if you are buying then going directly in there should be no second queue, or very little.

Or is there a steward search at the turnstile? Is that what holds things up? Hadn't thought of that.:unsure2:

Because if the queue is quite long for the tickets, there are 2 shorter queues at the turnstiles. Not saying it is a big issue, but you do sometimes have to queue twice. Funnily enough, at the St.Johnstone cup game last time, there was a massive queue at the arena at about 2.30 and (shorter) queues at the turnstiles as well. Admittedly, this would partly be due to season ticket holders having to get tickets, but it did mean queuing up twice, with the first one taking quite a long time.

I’m not complaining about it. Just pointing out that fans do sometimes have to queue up twice, especially when there is a biggish crowd. Fans have to queue up once at  the turnstiles at all-ticket games - it isn’t just a case of showing up and going straight in. So, this is the same, except you have to queue for your ticket just prior to queuing to get in.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Because if the queue is quite long for the tickets, there are 2 shorter queues at the turnstiles. Not saying it is a big issue, but you do sometimes have to queue twice. Funnily enough, at the St.Johnstone cup game last time, there was a massive queue at the arena at about 2.30 and (shorter) queues at the turnstiles as well. Admittedly, this would partly be due to season ticket holders having to get tickets, but it did mean queuing up twice, with the first one taking quite a long time.

I’m not complaining about it. Just pointing out that fans do sometimes have to queue up twice, especially when there is a biggish crowd. Fans have to queue up once at  the turnstiles at all-ticket games - it isn’t just a case of showing up and going straight in. So, this is the same, except you have to queue for your ticket just prior to queuing to get in.

Yes, I understood what you said the first time, I just don't understand why there IS a queue at the turnstiles. What am I missing? It clearly takes far more time to physically sell a ticket (ask for what you want, get given it, pay for it, get change, etc) than it does to walk up to the turnstile, hand it over, have a stub torn off and walk through.

So if nobody already has a ticket and they all queue up to buy them then, once bought, there should in theory be an empty turnstile to walk up to, especially given there are far more turnstiles than ticket offices. I accept at the Gates side, given the walk from the ticket office to the turnstiles, and that people may buy their ticket then visit the shop, or the bar, there could be second queues, but at the away end and indeed at the BDS home side, people surely just walk directly from the ticket office to the turnstile and go in don't they? I don't get why there would be any delay at the turnstile? :unsure2:

I'm not disputing that there is, if you're telling me there is, I'm just not understanding why. I've occasionally worked in a turnstile, It takes a second to take the ticket, tear off a stub and let someone in. There shouldn't be second queues generally, certainly not of more than 1 or 2 people at most.

21 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, I understood what you said the first time, I just don't understand why there IS a queue at the turnstiles. What am I missing? It clearly takes far more time to physically sell a ticket (ask for what you want, get given it, pay for it, get change, etc) than it does to walk up to the turnstile, hand it over, have a stub torn off and walk through.

So if nobody already has a ticket and they all queue up to buy them then, once bought, there should in theory be an empty turnstile to walk up to, especially given there are far more turnstiles than ticket offices. I accept at the Gates side, given the walk from the ticket office to the turnstiles, and that people may buy their ticket then visit the shop, or the bar, there could be second queues, but at the away end and indeed at the BDS home side, people surely just walk directly from the ticket office to the turnstile and go in don't they? I don't get why there would be any delay at the turnstile? :unsure2:

I'm not disputing that there is, if you're telling me there is, I'm just not understanding why. I've occasionally worked in a turnstile, It takes a second to take the ticket, tear off a stub and let someone in. There shouldn't be second queues generally, certainly not of more than 1 or 2 people at most.

I don’t know why it happens either.  Maybe you are factoring in too long for the ticket buying process? That can take seconds if you have the right money. Plus the folk in the ticket office are generally pretty quick even when there is change to be given. Plus some people maybe queue for their tickets with their mates and wait until everybody has theirs before going to the turnstiles.  And some maybe park at the arena and get their ticket there. And some will buy more than one ticket at the office then hand them to their mates etc so, one person in the ticket queue, several in the gate queue. There are probably a number of reasons for it. And, as I said, it has never been a huge issue. But if we regulalry got big crowds, it would be the same as regularly having all-ticket games where you queue up twice.

Archived