Lowland league attendances 2018/19

Burnieclub78

On 01/08/2018 at 14:58, HibeeJibee said:

I've never really understood groundhoppers and their programme rule: is it about having evidence the game happened? Proxy criteria for "proper football"?

Not counting 0-0's is even more bizarre. I can see why say an abandoned game might not "count", but beyond that...

It's like anything in life... 2.9M Scots identified with one or other Christian denomination in the last census, but "only" about 400,000 are in church or chapel on a Sunday morning. Millions of people must listen to music; few attend concerts/gigs/festivals. Hundreds of thousands follow football - otherwise it wouldn't get so much newspaper space, broadcast time, etc. - but "only" about 130,000 attend each weekend throughout the levels.

That 130k is an interesting figure - based on that would it be accurate to say that in Scotland its roughly a third of the population supporting Celtic, a third of the population supporting Rangers, and a third supporting everyone else? 

52 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

That 130k is an interesting figure - based on that would it be accurate to say that in Scotland its roughly a third of the population supporting Celtic, a third of the population supporting Rangers, and a third supporting everyone else? 

They never have home games on same weekend though... If you added up the averages of the top 5 in terms of support, you'd get more than 130,000 (the sum of the averages from last season in SPFL levels 1-4 is around 230,000 but that will include travelling support). There must be around 200,000-250,000 or so unique people attending across the country from top to bottom but HJ is correct to half this figure as the bigger one will be those going every 2nd week. A small percentage will go home and away (at national level, I'd imagine travelling support tends to be younger unmarried men or married men with adult children). At regional levels, I reckon you get a wider age range because there are fewer travel implications.

Edited by cmontheloknow

Just now, cmontheloknow said:

They never have home games on same weekend though... If you added up the averages of the top 5 in terms of support, you'd get more than 130,000 (the sum of the averages from last season in SPFL levels 1-4 is around 230,000 but that will include travelling support). There must be around 200,000-250,000 or so unique people attending across the country from top to bottom.

Yeah I know. If you add Celtic and Rangers together then it's approx 110k of that 220k. It's anecdotal but I'd wager they have a larger number of armchair "supporters" than other sides too. 

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Yeah I know. If you add Celtic and Rangers together then it's approx 110k of that 220k. It's anecdotal but I'd wager they have a larger number of armchair "supporters" than other sides too. 

Sadly yes, the couch loyal etc!

13 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

On a typical weekend there will be 53,000 at Parkhead or Ibrox; 43,000 across the rest of the Premiership; and 22,000 across the lower SPFL levels - on the basis of official figures; plus about 12,000 across senior non-league and Junior football (allowing for an average of 100 per game).

Although most won't be paying you could add perhaps 7,000 at amateur football (allowing for an average of 20 per game).

Also a couple - perhaps a few - thousand watch womens football.

Edited by HibeeJibee

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

On a typical weekend there will be 53,000 at Parkhead or Ibrox; 43,000 across the rest of the Premiership; and 22,000 across the lower SPFL levels - on the basis of official figures; plus about 12,000 across senior non-league and Junior football (allowing for an average of 100 per game).

Although most won't be paying you could add perhaps 7,000 at amateur football (allowing for an average of 20 per game).

Also a couple - perhaps a few - thousand watch womens football.

Which illustrates the fact that the OF are very much a minority, albeit quite a large one.

Weekend attendances / headcounts. 3rd & 4th August. Still 4 to get. 

From 28th July - 4th August ( 8 days) 

9002+ spectators went out to support their local clubs in the Lowland league & East of Scotland qualifying league. 

DSC_0390.JPG

Edited by Burnieclub78