Lowland league attendances 2018/19

Burnieclub78

5 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

To be fair it's taken 11 more pages than i expected get to my dad's got bigger baws than yours.  No disrespect to the burnieclub man but it was bound to happen sometime. 

I'm actually convinced this endeavour would've been impossible until this season - it would've descended into senior v junior one-upmanship and condescension, claims of manipulation, etc. I was delighted to see it being attempted and thusfar it's had excellent buy-in from clubs and fans, with only a little ribaldry.

With no such inter-grade rivalry to politicise and derail the attempt, it's simply discerning how crowds are in the league system. No-one is doing so well or badly compared to everyone else as to leave others or themselves embarrassed.

If repeated in future seasons - or even made official, like happens in SPFL - it would also allow clubs to chart rises or falls in their own crowds, as well having accurate quantified figures to help 'sell' themselves better to sponsors, funders etc.

What we must not forget, however, is that crowds are not everything... Indeed, this is clearly demonstrated by the fact that the club with the highest average at this early stage (Kelty) and the club with the lowest (LTHV) went toe-to-toe until the last day in EOSL last season. It also depends on how you define success: if you had to predict who were more likely to boost their crowds by an exponential percentage in a short period you might well say LTHV, counter-intuitively in some eyes, given their pending visitors and the lower raw number of people it would require.

Must admit my eyebrow raised considerably when I saw Nithsdale and Lochmaben were top 2 and both over 100. We'll see how those settle down as time passes (or if anyone cries foul!). As noted they can be skewed early-doors by a local derby, a midweek game that a lot of local neutrals turn-out for, etc. etc. Nithsdale apparently posted 150 but next was 61. Lochmaben only played 1 home game.

Otherwise SOSL was much as I expected in terms of position - SFA member clubs and Mid Annandale uppermost, in mid-to-high double figures - but the basic figures somewhat larger, true.

Threave used to publish crowds while in LL and they were strong, often in 120-150 territory IIRC. Sat on 88 currently. I understand Annan SOS get decent crowds playing on Friday nights.

Edited by HibeeJibee

28 minutes ago, gogsy said:

The most interesting of the attendance figures for me is the SOS league ones. far better than the perceived two men and a dog that always seem to be alluded to .

It's unfortunate that dogs don't seem to scale up in attendance like people do. Clubs could have had a nice little earner running a kennel on match days.

26 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm actually convinced this endeavour would've been impossible until this season - it would've descended into senior v junior one-upmanship and condescension, claims of manipulation, etc. I was delighted to see it being attempted and thusfar it's had excellent buy-in from clubs and fans, with only a little ribaldry.

With no such inter-grade rivalry to politicise and derail the attempt, it's simply discerning how crowds are in the league system. No-one is doing so well or badly compared to everyone else as to leave others or themselves embarrassed.

If repeated in future seasons - or even made official, like happens in SPFL - it would also allow clubs to chart rises or falls in their own crowds, as well having accurate quantified figures to help 'sell' themselves better to sponsors, funders etc.

What we must not forget, however, is that crowds are not everything... Indeed, this is clearly demonstrated by the fact that the club with the highest average at this early stage (Kelty) and the club with the lowest (LTHV) went toe-to-toe until the last day in EOSL last season. It also depends on how you define success: if you had to predict who were more likely to boost their crowds by an exponential percentage in a short period you might well say LTHV, counter-intuitively in some eyes, given their pending visitors and the lower raw number of people it would require.

Your absolutely spot on with everything above. All clubs can and should use attendance figures to help their club in any way they see fit. Also same could be said for the leagues / association. It's what the so called bigger leagues do,  especially with quantified figures. Works for them and would certainly help in some way for all our clubs and leagues. 

Licensed clubs have no excuse for not counting/publishing their attendances - in the licensing manual it says "Entry: The club shall ensure that it has a system of recording entry numbers to the ground" (that's for those without a safety certificate, presumably there is something similar for those with one?).

I counted 130 at Dalbeattie Star v Shire today on my 1st count and 138 on the 2nd count. Dalbeattie are good at announcing their actual crowds on their website so looking fwd to being proved wrong.

3 minutes ago, Dead said:

I counted 130 at Dalbeattie Star v Shire today on my 1st count and 138 on the 2nd count. Dalbeattie are good at announcing their actual crowds on their website so looking fwd to being proved wrong.

Good effort - official attendance 135.

1 hour ago, Burnieclub78 said:

Still looking for attendance or headcount for following if anyone can help? 

Saturday 25th Aug 

Whitehill Welfare v East Kilbride 

Saturday 18th Aug 

East Kilbride v Jeanfield Swifts 

Whitehill Welfare v Lothian Th hv 

I counted 153 at WW EK,

my son counted 138 but he didn't count the kids