Lowland league attendances 2018/19

Burnieclub78

45 minutes ago, GordonS said:

That's mental. I heard some of the rules some of them have - at first I didn't believe it, but then I heard it from other people. Some don't 'count' a ground unless they've seen a goal! I was told of a guy repeating a trip of hundreds of miles because he hadn't seen a goal. Some must walk right round the ground, use the toilet, have a pie and buy a programme. Imagine saying you hadn't been to a ground because they didn't do a programme.

These people aren't football fans, they're trainspotters.

Aye some of them are over the top you should visit the Non League Matters Forum for an insight. There are guys who don't go to grounds if there isn't a programme and there is a boy who does a revisit if he gets a 0-0. Heard about walking around the ground done it myself to have a look at the place but if its somewhere i've been to I wouldn't unless their built a new stand or what ever. Never went to the bog unless I had to, maybe they have a rule you have to have a shit at every ground you go to:lol:

I've never been but go to some of the groundhop weekend games later in the season and you'll really see them in action:lol: probably make trainspotting trendy.

Other one I heard was a guy who has to touch each corner flag.

Edited by cowdenbeath

I feel sorry for them to be honest, every week (day?) they’re at a different ground watching different teams.  They’re missing out on the highs and lows of watching their own team and all that it brings (good and bad), it’s a nomadic football existence.

I like visiting new grounds as much as the next person but only when my team are visiting, or not playing (or I’m on holiday and fancy a game, like this Sunday at Union Berlin)

Edited by Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I feel sorry for them to be honest, every week (day?) they’re at a different ground watching different teams.  They’re missing out on the highs and lows of watching their own team and all that it brings (good and bad), it’s a nomadic football existence.

I like visiting new grounds as much as the next person but only when my team are visiting, or not playing (or I’m on holiday and fancy a game, like this Sunday at Union Berlin)

Aye I like going to different games been at 3 since Saturday and going to the Shippy tonight:lol: but that's just because Cowden wern't playing. If there is a programme I normally buy one then think "what the f**k did I buy that for" after reading it, but if there isn't one i'm neither up or down about it.

It would be a bit weird to me not following a side on a regular basis however, strange never having a bond with a club.

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye I like going to different games been at 3 since Saturday and going to the Shippy tonight:lol: but that's just because Cowden wern't playing. If there is a programme I normally buy one then think "what the f**k did I buy that for" after reading it, but if there isn't one i'm neither up or down about it.

It would be a bit weird to me not following a side on a regular basis however, strange never having a bond with a club.

People who follow their own club and then go to other games to fill in the days until the next one are at least half sane :lol: 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

That's mental. I heard some of the rules some of them have - at first I didn't believe it, but then I heard it from other people. Some don't 'count' a ground unless they've seen a goal! I was told of a guy repeating a trip of hundreds of miles because he hadn't seen a goal. Some must walk right round the ground, use the toilet, have a pie and buy a programme. Imagine saying you hadn't been to a ground because they didn't do a programme.

Technically I'm definitely a "groundhopper" here in Scotland, as I'm not following a particular team but I'm just going to random games across the country. I do have a favourite team though, but as they're in The Netherlands, I don't get to see them that often now I live over here, still try to follow them online, on TV etc, although that's not the same. As I still love football, I have decided to go around watching different games over here now.

I'm trying to do "the 42" in Scotland, but I don't do all these silly rules. I count a ground if I've been there and seen a football game, it's as simple as that. I couldn't really give a shit if someone else says I'm not doing it properly. I'm not doing it to impress others, I'm just doing it as a personal hobby. For these groundhopper "sects", it's far more an obsession than a hobby, I don't even want to get any "recognition" by them!

37 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

F**k those middle-class student-y types that watch Union, you'd enjoy this much more on Saturday - BFC Dynamo v Germania Halberstadt -

Or, you could go to both...

bfchalberstadt.jpg

Edited by Sunrise

31 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

People who follow their own club and then go to other games to fill in the days until the next one are at least half sane :lol: 

I've been off and have free time on my hands:lol: and two of them are the closest non league sides to me Kelty and the Haws and Burntisland is also very near. Only one with a bit of a distance was BSC and that's just over the border.

27 minutes ago, Marten said:

Technically I'm definitely a "groundhopper" here in Scotland, as I'm not following a particular team but I'm just going to random games across the country. I do have a favourite team though, but as they're in The Netherlands, I don't get to see them that often now I live over here, still try to follow them online, on TV etc, although that's not the same. As I still love football, I have decided to go around watching different games over here now.

I'm trying to do "the 42" in Scotland, but I don't do all these silly rules. I count a ground if I've been there and seen a football game, it's as simple as that. I couldn't really give a shit if someone else says I'm not doing it properly. I'm not doing it to impress others, I'm just doing it as a personal hobby. For these groundhopper "sects", it's far more an obsession than a hobby, I don't even want to get any "recognition" by them!

Your just doing what a lot of us would do if we moved to another country to live, your seeing football and grounds at all levels while seeing different places at the same time. Its probably a good way of you seeing Scotland (good and bad:lol:).

13 minutes ago, Sunrise said:

F**k those middle-class student-y types that watch Union, you'd enjoy this much more on Saturday - BFC Dynamo v Germania Halberstadt -

bfchalberstadt.jpg

First time i've heard of someone from Blackburn being called middle class:lol:

3 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Your just doing what a lot of us would do if we moved to another country to live, your seeing football and grounds at all levels while seeing different places at the same time. Its probably a good way of you seeing Scotland (good and bad:lol:).

That's one of the reasons why I enjoy this so much. I go to random places all over the country (as I don't just limit myself to the 42 SPFL teams, but I also go to non-league, senior and junior). I get to go to some places I'd never think of visiting. Some of those places might not be the greatest, but there are other places I've been to and really enjoyed while never having heard of it before I moved to Scotland.

On 31/07/2018 at 15:49, Burnieclub78 said:

Just want to thank clubs, supporters and everyone who helped with head counts / attendances for weekend games.  I now have attendances for all Lowland league & eosfl games played, as accurate as possible at this early stage. I will get something up in the  next day or two. With mid week games this week I would really appreciate any help with head counts / attendances. I am hoping this can be done for all games throughout season. Thanks. 

What were the Gretna and EK ones?

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Never thought of that. How sad. Telly's nothing like being there. 

Absolutely.

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Got that on the intro to my blog. You’ll get your eyes opened if you go to anything on the groundhopper weekend  :lol:

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Got that on the intro to my blog. You’ll get your eyes opened if you go to anything on the groundhopper weekend  :lol:

Linlithgow's part of the groundhopper weekend this season, Saturday night game, so I imagine I'll learn new things then.

6 hours ago, Marten said:

That's one of the reasons why I enjoy this so much. I go to random places all over the country (as I don't just limit myself to the 42 SPFL teams, but I also go to non-league, senior and junior). I get to go to some places I'd never think of visiting. Some of those places might not be the greatest, but there are other places I've been to and really enjoyed while never having heard of it before I moved to Scotland.

I think it's a brilliant way to get under the skin of Scotland. You see ex-mining towns, new towns, all the cities, the seaside, farming country, the rough bits and the leafy bits. It's taken me to places I don't think I would have otherwise gone, and I always try to have a good rummage around the area before the game. The Bullers of Buchan, Peterhead Prison Museum (truly hair-raising), the train line across Galloway, Stonehaven outdoor pool, Roslin Glen - all places I've been to recently just because I was in the area for a new ground. Between football, hillwalking and work there aren't many places in Scotland I've not seen.

My own path to groundhopping started when I was really bored in a meeting one day and I started doodling a map of Scotland in the margin of my notebook, putting dots where I'd been to football games. I realised I was only 8 away from the 42, so I thought I might as well knock them off. Took me years because I wasn't really trying, finally completed them at Peterhead earlier this year. I've been to most of the LL grounds, half the HL grounds and all-but 3 of the West Superleague, so I'm now making my way round them. I've been to a bunch of other grounds and I'll probably try to complete other divisions, but I draw the line below the seniors and juniors. Games on public parks is beyond the bottom of the barrel. 

I might miss a Linlithgow Rose game to go to a new ground if the Rose game was meaningless, but generally it's something I'll only do when my team aren't playing, or I can't get to the Rose game for whatever reason (like I needed to be in Edinburgh on Saturday). These summer nights are best for it - God bless the WRSJFA and their never-ending seasons. 

bfchalberstadt.jpg.14d9fd0e59f46f2b993c6e851c0eea8c.jpg
Saturday is Berlin Beer Festival day [emoji481][emoji481][emoji481]