Berwick v Stirling

According to Observer Darren Barr and Darren Smith out. Kyle Banner and Kevin Moon both suspended, Lee Hamilton hopefully should be fit for this one after treatment to a foot injury. 

So it looks like we will be packing the bench with Under 20`s for this one.

Great, honestly great. I think it’s a wonderful seeing youth get a chance. I’m maybe slightly biased but the more young lads that get the chance the easier it is to attract young talent to the club, and I think that’s also important.

Yeah, in an ideal world we’d have a bigger squad and players that are already playing to a good standard but for me, it’s important for club like ourself to be the ones giving young lads and opportunity.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JakeSAFC said:

Hamilton might be back so replace Banner for him. Who have we got to replace Moon though?

My guess would be Danny will play a bit deeper and Kevin fell will fill in further forward. Might leave us a bit open however

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Great, honestly great. I think it’s a wonderful seeing youth get a chance. I’m maybe slightly biased but the more young lads that get the chance the easier it is to attract young talent to the club, and I think that’s also important.

Yeah, in an ideal world we’d have a bigger squad and players that are already playing to a good standard but for me, it’s important for club like ourself to be the ones giving young lads and opportunity.

Have no problem with giving young guys a chance but the question has to be asked are some of these young guys ready to make the step up from Under 20`s to League 2 level. Hopefully the answer to that is Yes but if they are not ready then imo that could harm their development. Clearly their are I hope young guys in our Under 20`s who can step us and do a job but equally their will be guys in our Under 20`s who simply wont make the grade and will find themselves playing in a lower level of football in a couple of years down the road. 

Yes in an ideal world we should have a bigger squad but we have what we have at the moment and the fact is injuries have cost us dear before the start of the League season, No Barr until at least to the end of August, Darren Smith our top goal scorer last season out but hopefully he should be back soon. We need a strong squad this season if we have to have any chance of getting promoted this season.  We have a tough start at the beginning of the season with home visits by Clyde and Peterhead to come and we need to get points to keep us in the hunt for a promotion spot. 

My guess would be Danny will play a bit deeper and Kevin fell will fill in further forward. Might leave us a bit open however

Forgot about Kevin Fell actually. That could work I suppose but Danny could be wasted playing deeper.

On the giving youth a chance. I am for it completely but we really need some more experience in the midfield.

My guess is, that since 4-4-2 has been working better, that's what we'll go with again.  Still concerned that route one high balls forward give us horrible problems, but there's been some positives too.   We'll get what we earn out of this and I'm not writing Berwick off due to their poor recent form. When the going gets tough, Berwick get going, just hopefully not today.

My guess is, that since 4-4-2 has been working better, that's what we'll go with again.  Still concerned that route one high balls forward give us horrible problems, but there's been some positives too.   We'll get what we earn out of this and I'm not writing Berwick off due to their poor recent form. When the going gets tough, Berwick get going, just hopefully not today.

Fell & Peaso played well together up top against Dunfermline, I’d be happy with a 4-4-2. Still think that wastes Danny though, he needs to be further forward.

7 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Fell & Peaso played well together up top against Dunfermline, I’d be happy with a 4-4-2. Still think that wastes Danny though, he needs to be further forward.

Point taken on Danny Jake.

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 after a middling pre-season and boardroom shenanigans. I'll take it and cherish it.

Rotten luck for the Binos, who, as I understand, had a bunch of golden chances. No doubt Stirling will finish above Berwick come the end of season, but this is just a lovely result on the day.

6 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I'll take a scrappy 1-0 after a middling pre-season and boardroom shenanigans. I'll take it and cherish it.

Rotten luck for the Binos, who, as I understand, had a bunch of golden chances. No doubt Stirling will finish above Berwick come the end of season, but this is just lovely result on the day.

Congratulations.  Do you mind if we borrow your nerves for a few weeks? ..........Maybe longer than that?

Fookin fantastic.

Rode our luck first 45mins and the talk at half time was we would all accept a point and couldn't go through a season playing like that.

Little did we know what was about to happen in the second 45 mins. More composed on the ball, more players getting forward to support Healy and growing rapidly in confidence. Just after a lung burster from Jo, there was belief we could win the game and win it we did with a piece of brilliance. We should have added to the one but 3 points is a massive boost for everyone connected to the club.

Fitness levels were superb and we finished much the stronger team.  More quality is still needed to strengthen the squad but this is a team that will only get better as the season develops. 

Hats off to the manager and all the players on a great opening week. 

Well done to Robbie & the team after all the $hit that has surrounded the club this week.
Absolutely, a lot of folk, myself included, writing Berwick off.
And you'll be pleased to know, you lot done me out of £420 as well, but I'll hold that against stirling rather than you lot.

Absolutely, a lot of folk, myself included, writing Berwick off.
And you'll be pleased to know, you lot done me out of £420 as well, but I'll hold that against stirling rather than you lot.
It's the gift that keeps on giving.

4 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Rotten luck for the Binos, who, as I understand, had a bunch of golden chances. No doubt Stirling will finish above Berwick come the end of season, but this is just a lovely result on the day.

First half we were by far the better team but despite having a goal disallowed for offside (seemed okay to me) and one hitting the post just could not get the opener. 

2nd half Berwick took control and we were lucky not to go behind before they scored. Simply could not get back into the game and the closest we came to scoring was a Berwick defender sending a header just wide of his own goal. In the end Berwick deserved their win. For us hope we play better next week against Clyde or else we could end up on the wrong score side again.

6 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

There speaks a man who wasn't at the game.

Stirling unlucky not to be winning at half time after a scrappy 45 minutes. But we absolutely pissed the 2nd half. No casual observer would conclude that there is no doubt we'll finish behind Stirling. 

Someday I'd like to think some of us would stop dissing the opposition before a ball is kicked.   There's been enough egg scraped off  Bino faces over that, to make an omelette the size of  Berwickshire.  :chef

Archived