Berwick v Stirling

Maybe need to reign the joy in a little, but it was a great 3 points for the club after a ridiculous pre-season and cup campaign.

Stirling were the better team first half and should have put us away. They lacked luck in front of goal but could have easily been going in 4-0 up having had one disallowed and 3 hit the woodwork. We didn't help ourselves by sitting deep and allowing a gap of a minimum of 35 yards between Healy and the midfield at all times and refusing to press high.

In the second half though, Stirling were nothing short of embarassing. They came out as though it was already won and spent much of it passing idly around the back four, giving up chances to penetrate (which they could still do easily enough)? allowing Berwick the confidence to press higher to win it back and to start playing rather than hoofing when we did get it, helping us build more confidence. We put together a few nice moves before we netted from one of them - a superb take from Brown. In a situation where any of the other 10 in the team would have smashed it first time he showed the composure to roll it past the defender and slot past the keeper. It's almost like signing well-rated, proven players, especially in key areas a good idea!

Guys like Orru, Phillips and Willis will be key in getting results for us this season. All could do with a little work on end product, but they're the guys who always look like they want to make something happen when we're on the ball - Willis especially and I still get baffled when people criticise him. From what I saw of him, you can almost certainly add Murphy to this list - look forward to seeing what he can do.

Personally I still think we're lacking a forward and maybe a right back. Todd's injury was a blow too - looked a sore one and can imagine he'll be out for 6 weeks or so.

Oddly enough the result never looked in much doubt from the goal. Stirling were awful and they desperately need some of their missing players back if they're to put together some decent early season form - for all we did well to capitalise they won't face many squads of players who were as low on confidence and as lacking in experience.

Good to start with a confidence boosting win and especially good to see such a positive atmosphere around the club on the day. Horn's celebrations were hilarious but showed how much it meant to him, as did those of the players.

After the total shambles of the last month or two, it seems like for the first time in decades, we're all suddenly pulling in the same direction. The club need to take advantage of that and for the first time in a long time, I'm confident we're going to. If we can pull some early season form out the hat it'd be ace, but I still don't think we'll be up to much this season. In any case, Albion are looking certs to be in trouble.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought the best team lost definitely. As mentioned by other posters we should have been home and dry by half time.

berwick fans must know they will struggle this season ! Poor side. 

looking forward to next week, hopefully get the 3 points. 

2 hours ago, Al_Bino said:

Thought the best team lost definitely. As mentioned by other posters we should have been home and dry by half time.

Stirling beaten by a poor side, says it all really hahahaha!!

Better of two, best of more than 2..... Just another inaccuracy in this post.

4 hours ago, A Believer said:
On 06/08/2018 at 20:38, Al_Bino said:

Better of two, best of more than 2..... Just another inaccuracy in this post.

Who cares mate we will see who the best team is come end of season. Probably us!

13 hours ago, Al_Bino said:

Who cares mate we will see who the best team is come end of season. Probably us!

For all I still expect us to finish 9th, if Stirling do any better than 6th I'd be hugely surprised. There's an odd delusion that follows your support that you're going to do something decent every season, when the reality is you've been absolutely shite for ages. 

3 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

For all I still expect us to finish 9th, if Stirling do any better than 6th I'd be hugely surprised. There's an odd delusion that follows your support that you're going to do something decent every season, when the reality is you've been absolutely shite for ages. 

At least we have some ambition at the club, like a 9th place finish is good for yous lot.

3 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:
3 hours ago, BinosCammy said:
At least we have some ambition at the club, like a 9th place finish is good for yous lot.

Ambition isn't ambition when it's delusion. The only difference between you and us is that we know we're shite.

Good for you chief. 

Most binos on here and on our own forum are predicting a 4th place finish. If that counts as “ambition” in your book then go downstairs and ask Mummy where she keeps the family dictionary. 

Archived