East Fife vs Dumbarton

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Started horrendously, but we've grown into the game and created a few decent openings.

We look pretty good when we get the ball on the deck. Loy, Forbes, Paton and the SeaGal have all shown some really cute touches. Unfortunately we've also resorted to lumping it on a few occasions which is utterly pointless.

First goal will be crucial.

Exactly.

We look promising when we actually try & play football. Get this hoofball nonsense to f@#k.

That was good. Dodgy first 15 minutes aside we pretty much controlled the game and actually played some attractive stuff.

Ross Forbes kicking the season off with two assists. Should've been three too when Paton smacked the post.

Fair play to Kyle Hutton too. Put in a really good showing today.

9 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

In the last 2 weeks Dumbarton have scored 2 goals and conceded 6, in the last 2 weeks I have seen Dumbarton score 0 goals and concede 6emoji122.png

Bit of a pointless statement - considering the conditions and the opposition etc...

But maybe if you stay away we will be fine?

What the f**k did I just watch???

Dumbarton must have thought it was Christmas the way we gifted that game to them all wrapped up with a nice bow, we gifted them two easy corners, we gifted them two unmarked easy headers on goal and ended up gifted them a win!!!

Utter, utter shite but the most disappointing thing was the change in the side after Kevin Smith's injury and subsequent substitution, up until that point it had been like watching Barcelona we should have been two up in the first quarter of an hour and repeatedly tore Dumbarton a new one everytime we went up the park, but how could a change like that happen it was like watching two different sides in East Fife colours in the first half???

Why didn't the Manager keep the same shape and tactics that Dumbarton obviously couldn't cope with, when Kev got injured? A like for like substitution, Court was on the bench get him on, instead of trying to shoehorn a midfielder up front, it looked to me like Agnew didn't know where he was supposed to be playing and ended up playing so deep it was like we had 5 across the middle, sitting deeper and allowing Dumbarton to get back into the game. Bringing Thomson on was a mistake, it upset the whole balance of the side and besides that the guy had a mare and ended up being substituted himself, so we can assume that that is his confidence shot for the next few weeks!!!

A like for like sub coming on and we would have went on to win that game I'm sure, it was there for the taking, ended up being glad we got to half time without conceding but the second half was just more of the same and we gave Dumbarton a win they didn't even have to work for!!!

Noticed that when we brought Court on for the last ten minutes and went back to the 442 we started to look more like it, but it was too little too late!!!

This better be a blip and surely to f**k we aren't a "one-man team" and turn to shite every time Kev Smith gets injured???

49 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

What the f**k did I just watch???

Dumbarton must have thought it was Christmas the way we gifted that game to them all wrapped up with a nice bow, we gifted them two easy corners, we gifted them two unmarked easy headers on goal and ended up gifted them a win!!!

Utter, utter shite but the most disappointing thing was the change in the side after Kevin Smith's injury and subsequent substitution, up until that point it had been like watching Barcelona we should have been two up in the first quarter of an hour and repeatedly tore Dumbarton a new one everytime we went up the park, but how could a change like that happen it was like watching two different sides in East Fife colours in the first half???

Why didn't the Manager keep the same shape and tactics that Dumbarton obviously couldn't cope with, when Kev got injured? A like for like substitution, Court was on the bench get him on, instead of trying to shoehorn a midfielder up front, it looked to me like Agnew didn't know where he was supposed to be playing and ended up playing so deep it was like we had 5 across the middle, sitting deeper and allowing Dumbarton to get back into the game. Bringing Thomson on was a mistake, it upset the whole balance of the side and besides that the guy had a mare and ended up being substituted himself, so we can assume that that is his confidence shot for the next few weeks!!!

A like for like sub coming on and we would have went on to win that game I'm sure, it was there for the taking, ended up being glad we got to half time without conceding but the second half was just more of the same and we gave Dumbarton a win they didn't even have to work for!!!

Noticed that when we brought Court on for the last ten minutes and went back to the 442 we started to look more like it, but it was too little too late!!!

This better be a blip and surely to f**k we aren't a "one-man team" and turn to shite every time Kev Smith gets injured???

Of course we are. What other player even comes close to controlling the play the way he does? Agnew seems okay but our players will struggle to make the runs he needs. Today was terrible to say the least absolutely zero options going forward. This will be a long season and how anybody can slaver on about Thomson is behond me hes lost on the park. Pat Slattery once again the only player showing a bit heart and needs to start every week for me. Brechin away, Arbroath away and Rovers at home next 3 cant see us taking anything from those games unfortunetly. 

That first 20 minutes was absolutely brutal. If East Fife had scored it could have ended up a completely different game so I was relieved to see the ball stay out after Adam pulled off a pretty good save.

Performance after that was a lot better. Gallagher worked endlessly as always and him and Loy looked like a good pairing. Any fitness problems that hampered Loy last season certainly look to have disappeared as he was all over the park today. It's nice to see a forward getting back to help defend when necessary and something we haven't seen in a while since Nade didn't really like to get back past the halfway line.

Ballantyne looked pretty decent considering his injuries of late. Hopefully whatever he went off for is not too serious.

Not a fantastic performance by any means but a positive result and I saw enough today to believe the best is yet to come from this team.

Very frustrating game. Absolutely brilliant for the first 15/20 minutes and should have been ahead. Kevin Smith goes off and suddenly we look absolutely toothless. Reasonably even up until the first goal. Yet another soft goal from a corner (from our perspective anyway) and we just began to progressively lose a grip on thing from that point. Another carbon copy of the first goal and that's it.

We have to get our ability to defend corners sorted. That's twice where we allowed Dumbarton a header just outside the six yard box and it's completely unacceptable. This is going to hamstring us all season, like it did last year if it's not sorted.

As good as we looked until Smith came off, we really need a plan B for when he's not there. I can understand that's Dowds and Smith unavailable and Currie's just joined but we should have brought on Court as a direct replacement for Smith. We were playing well at that point.

Positives, as others have said. Slattery and Davidson looked good in centre mid again, especially Slats. Currie linked up very well with Smith and looks a decent prospect. Corners aside, we dealt with most of what Dumbarton threw at us without too much fuss.

Dumbarton are a decent team. The only disappointing thing is I don't necessarily think we made them show it to get a comfortable win. All they had to do was ride out the storm at the start then wait to get a couple of corners and we'd inevitably concede. So aggravating.

One thing you really have to credit Aitken with is our ability to score headers from set-pieces. I remember years and years where we didn't do that.

Think you’d be better crediting Darren Young with that.

Archived