East Fife vs Dumbarton

2-0 Sons, Stuart Carswell with a natural poachers finish to break deadlock and Kyle Hutton living up to his midfield maestro reputation with a typical 30 yard wonder strike that we’ve come to expect. Scott Mercer curling home a consolation on his strong left foot in the 89th minute.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- C. Barr -- Dyer

Carswell

Paton -- Forbes -- B. Barr

Loy -- Gallagher

Be bold, Stevie. Go for the jugular. 
This is exactly how I'd line up.

Adam gives me the absolute fear and I've not been impressed with him at all so far but with McGowan having played precisely 0 mins of football during pre season I'd stick with him for this. If Ballantyne still isn't fit then I'd go with Andy Little at right back instead of Perry, who may even be unavailble after hobbling off on Saturday. For me Gallagher is an obvious starter, he's probably been our stand out performer for some time now and I reckon him and Loy would work well together.

With Aitken having some sort of Carswell and Hutton combo fetish then I'd be astounded if he didn't start them both, unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Adam

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- C. Barr -- Dyer

Carswell

Paton -- Forbes -- B. Barr

Loy -- Gallagher

Be bold, Stevie. Go for the jugular. 

I agree one million percent with that team. 

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Adam gives me the absolute fear and I've not been impressed with him at all so far but with McGowan having played precisely 0 mins of football during pre season I'd stick with him for this. If Ballantyne still isn't fit then I'd go with Andy Little at right back instead of Perry, who may even be unavailble after hobbling off on Saturday. For me Gallagher is an obvious starter, he's probably been our stand out performer for some time now and I reckon him and Loy would work well together.

With Aitken having some sort of Carswell and Hutton combo fetish then I'd be astounded if he didn't start them both, unfortunately.

McGowan did play a half against EK and the full game against the Cumbernauld Colts to be fair...

I've  no idea if he's any better than Adam, but I'd like to think that Stevie will be considering him for the weekend. I doubt he's happy to just sit on the bench, and having some competition between 'keepers can only be a good thing.

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I was just reading Aitken's comments in the Reporter, he seemed to think he'd set up the team too attacking and that was with Hutton and Carswell sitting in midfield (and one up front). That worries me, but he also said he learns with defeats like that so let's hope that after a full year and now a complete tanking he has now learned that Hutton and Carswell don't work in the same midfield.

17 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I agree one million percent with that team. 

McGowan did play a half against EK and the full game against the Cumbernauld Colts to be fair...

I've  no idea if he's any better than Adam, but I'd like to think that Stevie will be considering him for the weekend. I doubt he's happy to just sit on the bench, and having some competition between 'keepers can only be a good thing.

I'm not sure I would be dropping Adam just yet. It's clear to me that concentration is Adam's biggest down fall - he tries to do things quickly and doesn't concentrate fully. I wouldn't want to decimate his confidence by dropping him after one game, because he clearly has a lot of it and I do think there's a solid keeper in there if he calms his nut and thinks about what he's doing.  That said, if the mistakes continue then McGowan should be in there without question.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure I would be dropping Adam just yet. It's clear to me that concentration is Adam's biggest down fall - he tries to do things quickly and doesn't concentrate fully. I wouldn't want to decimate his confidence by dropping him after one game, because he clearly has a lot of it and I do think there's a solid keeper in there if he calms his nut and thinks about what he's doing.  That said, if the mistakes continue then McGowan should be in there without question.

Aye, I agree, especially for the first game of the season. I think he's just a bit mad, but he strikes me as the sort of guy who probably needs a rocket rather than an arm round his shoulder, so if I was McGowan I'd be going out of my way to impress Stevie in training.

Having watched the GoPro highlights (sixth goal aside) he was left badly exposed by the guys in front of him. That doesn't excuse the fact that his kicks seem to be magnetically attracted to the sidelines mind you.

2 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Aye, I agree, especially for the first game of the season. I think he's just a bit mad, but he strikes me as the sort of guy who probably needs a rocket rather than an arm round his shoulder, so if I was McGowan I'd be going out of my way to impress Stevie in training.

Having watched the GoPro highlights (sixth goal aside) he was left badly exposed by the guys in front of him. That doesn't excuse the fact that his kicks seem to be magnetically attracted to the sidelines mind you.

It's strange, I remember sitting on the grass at Spartans and thinking to myself "thank f**k we've finally got a keeper who can spray the ball around". Since then he's been beheading daisy's and finding Colm the kitman more than any of our players.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If EF had anyone at Paisley on Saturday then they will be sure to have forwards bearing down on Adam every time he has the ball at his feet, as it can only be matter of time before a ricocheted clearance finds its way into our net.

In other matters, I've just this morning discovered that I work in the same organisation as one Garry Dickie Esquire who some of our more mature posters may recall formed an unforgettable Sons central defensive partnership with the legendary Pat Cairney.  Project Fear was only the half of it.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's strange, I remember sitting on the grass at Spartans and thinking to myself "thank f**k we've finally got a keeper who can spray the ball around". Since then he's been beheading daisy's and finding Colm the kitman more than any of our players.

I'm not really sure what's happened, because I'm sure distribution was always one of his strong points. I told my brother that when we signed him, and since then Grant's made me look like a total diddy.

Think this will be our starting lineup in Saturday...

IMG_4003.jpg.8b4a990ade224ffb674ed44c734c32ef.jpg

The same one that started against Falkurk and I can see it pretty much being the same until Sparky is fit again, with the midfielders we have available at the moment I think this probably gives us the best balance across the middle, personally I would rather see Thomson starting and Agnew playing behind the front two but as I said I think that that will have to wait on Sparky returning!!!

Good goalie, pretty sound at the back and with big "Tonks" Dowds hitting form just in time for the start of the season I think we're fearing nothing going into this game!!!

Eta

East Fife 2-0 Dumbarton

Deuchar hattrick and Flannery getting the consolation late on for the Sons!!!

14 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Think this will be our starting lineup in Saturday...

IMG_4003.jpg.8b4a990ade224ffb674ed44c734c32ef.jpg

The same one that started against Falkurk and I can see it pretty much being the same until Sparky is fit again, with the midfielders we have available at the moment I think this probably gives us the best balance across the middle, personally I would rather see Thomson starting and Agnew playing behind the front two but as I said I think that that will have to wait on Sparky returning!!!

Good goalie, pretty sound at the back and with big "Tonks" Dowds hitting form just in time for the start of the season I think we're fearing nothing going into this game!!!

Eta

East Fife 2-0 Dumbarton

Deuchar hattrick and Flannery getting the consolation late on for the Sons!!!

Surely Aggy is much more useful as a sitting/holding midfielder? Never really considered playing him too offensively because his strongest attribute was spraying passes all over the shop.

Good news about the bar still being open. Don't get many nights off but I'll be out for some pre-birthday drinks on Saturday :thumsup2 no doubt we'll get hammered and I'll end up drowning my (sons) sorrows...

Surely Aggy is much more useful as a sitting/holding midfielder? Never really considered playing him too offensively because his strongest attribute was spraying passes all over the shop.

Good news about the bar still being open. Don't get many nights off but I'll be out for some pre-birthday drinks on Saturday :thumsup2 no doubt we'll get hammered and I'll end up drowning my (sons) sorrows...

Agnew played in that more advanced position I'm describing during the Friendlies and in the Forfar game and I really thought it worked well, he played/started wide right in the Falkirk game an I thought we really missed what he had produced in the other games and he kind of ended up drifting in anyway!!!

At the moment he's one of our main goal threats and I feel we would be as well using him as such!!!

21 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Agnew played in that more advanced position I'm describing during the Friendlies and in the Forfar game and I really thought it worked well, he played/started wide right in the Falkirk game an I thought we really missed what he had produced in the other games and he kind of ended up drifting in anyway!!!

At the moment he's one of our main goal threats and I feel we would be as well using him as such!!!

That's fair enough completely. He did score quite a few goals for us but this is a few years later and you find players tend to do less in attack and use their footballing ability more as they age.

He is bound to score a screamer though... He did the square root of f#@* all when he was at St Mirren but still scored an absolute belter of a goal against us.

Levenmouth foodbank are at an all time low on supplies at the moment so the club are kindly holding a collection at tomorrow’s game. There is a list attached of supplies they accept but are also extremely low on thicker carrier bags. Any donation would be greatly appreciated and can be handed in at the side door from 1.30pm.

Thank you! 

544E10D8-FDBC-4712-884C-8C7EBCBF3582.png

Archived