Montrose -vs- Arbroath

Well that was a baptism of fire.

Welcome to league one I suppose. I wasn't too confident going into today but that was worse than I expected.

The first half was all Arbroath. There was a couple of spells in the second half when I thought we would equalize, but then the roof caved in.  

The flag thing was pretty tacky tbh, but I was in the queue at the pie stall and didn't really pay attention.

I'm still confident in SP. I don't think every week will be as waash as today.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big reality check for Montrose today, didn’t even think we were at our best at times, clinical though. 
Nice to get 90 mins in before we play the more established teams. 

No reality check. We expected this season to be tough and today expected to be hard match as expect you to be challenging at top on league. We gifted three goals which is unlike us. Roll on to next week and my first trip to Airdrie new ground.

Well that was a baptism of fire.
Welcome to league one I suppose. I wasn't too confident going into today but that was worse than I expected.
The first half was all Arbroath. There was a couple of spells in the second half when I thought we would equalize, but then the roof caved in.  
The flag thing was pretty tacky tbh, but I was in the queue at the pie stall and didn't really pay attention.
I'm still confident in SP. I don't think every week will be as waash as today.

Tacky? It was fucking embarrassing

A first day at school for Montrose which ended up with the pupil having his pocket money nicked, head flushed down the toilet and being forced to write 100 lines of 'I must not give Bobby Linn space' for detention. We were played off the park today apart from a 10 minute burst at 1-0 down, which all too briefly got the hopes back up. The penalty killed that off and we visibly tired after. Arbroath are a little bit cleverer and quicker and better prepared, and will probably have another good season on that showing.

To labour the analogy, SP with a bit of homework to do - no need to panic though. 

Couple of observations for me today.

We were a lot better than Montrose, however this is genuinely one of the strongest Arbroath teams I have seen in a long while. Our bench would be starters in most other teams in this league. 

Linn seems to be in great form, scary to thing people were doubting him last season. 

Great start and looking forward to next week, the derbies are going to be crucial and it was a good way to start. Think Montrose will do ok, mid table I’d say.

There was a Montrose fan who came to Gayfield quite a bit last season, when they were away, who was always right behind me with his Arbroath supporting pals.

With the Mo doing well he would do his best to speak loudly and let everyone within earshot know he was a Mo fan and how well they were doing.

Also included a lot of sly digs at us.. ‘McKenna wasn’t even good at Berwick no idea why Dick signed him’... ‘Swankie is finished’... ‘O’Brien is ok but he always makes bad mistakes’...’really don’t think Arbroath are up to much they’d have no chance in the playoffs’...etc, smiled at the time and just thought he had no idea, think that result maybe proves it so hope he is gutted today.

Slagging us and our players when their team is full of our cast offs. Only player I’d take from that Montrose squad is Steeves, Hamilton would start ahead of him too.

Good way to start the season and Bobby Linn is looking sharp. Dick said he’s signed a 2 year deal, so he’ll have been with us 7 years when he’s at the end of that, what a guy.

41 minutes ago, CLYDE ULTRA said:

Do the 4 angus dildos still exist?????  What a shower of inbred hillbilly mutants  What an embarssement, I seriously wonder why, none have and will ever get near the history of the Clyde. 

And what diddy division are you poor excuse of a football club in? Oh yes, the division below all 4 angus clubs. Who exactly are Clyde by the way.

There was a Montrose fan who came to Gayfield quite a bit last season, when they were away, who was always right behind me with his Arbroath supporting pals.

With the Mo doing well he would do his best to speak loudly and let everyone within earshot know he was a Mo fan and how well they were doing.

Also included a lot of sly digs at us.. ‘McKenna wasn’t even good at Berwick no idea why Dick signed him’... ‘Swankie is finished’... ‘O’Brien is ok but he always makes bad mistakes’...’really don’t think Arbroath are up to much they’d have no chance in the playoffs’...etc, smiled at the time and just thought he had no idea, think that result maybe proves it so hope he is gutted today.

Slagging us and our players when their team is full of our cast offs. Only player I’d take from that Montrose squad is Steeves, Hamilton would start ahead of him too.

Good way to start the season and Bobby Linn is looking sharp. Dick said he’s signed a 2 year deal, so he’ll have been with us 7 years when he’s at the end of that, what a guy.
You just made that up 100%

The perfect start to the new season pumping the "Mighty Mo" on their own patch in the Angus sunshine. Apart from a twenty minute spell at the start of the second half Arbroath were in complete command and gave Montrose a bit of a lesson, I must admit I was expecting a far harder game beforehand but it was comfortable and the team put in a decent performance. I was expecting more from Montrose but thought they were very poor tbh they have nothing up front,don't think our keeper will have an easier afternoon.

Why did Petrie spend the entire first half whinging to the lino it wasn't his fault his team were crap.

5 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

A neutral watching today's game. Both teams will easily beat Brechin and thats with Montrose have nothing up front .Arbroath were just usual Dickteam full of hard work and that brought the rewards 

You’ll probably in find in time we’re a bit better than just “hard work”

Archived