Ayr Utd vs Partick Thistle

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last week. Never felt uncomfortable although Patrick had a lot of crosses we dealt with them well.

Bit of a bummer losing Kerr, will McCall move Robbie into the middle and start McDaid? Or play it a bit safer and play Docherty or Bell in there? Oooh to have options!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looming sense of dread must signal the (proper) start of the season. It always augurs well when you can see the first game of the season far enough.

Was absent last Saturday, thankfully so by the sounds of it. Ayr will have their tails up and Somerset is never a particularly easy to go at the best of times. Shankland is the obvious threat but unless we're able to match Murdoch and Crawford in the middle of the park, it's going to be a similar story.

Have fond memories of Somerset such as:

• Watching Chic Charnley lose the rag and get sent off.
  • Getting stuck under a massive flag behind the goal and missing most of the first half of a Scottish Cup tie where Neil Tarrant buried us.
  • Going to a Challenge Cup game in a t-shirt with the intention of going to see Dave Pearce at Freshers Week afterwards. Alex Williams scored in the last minute to take it to extra time and it was fucking baltic. Of course, lost in ET. Never got up the road until after 11 and everybody was already stocious. 

Fond as f**k.

That looming sense of dread must signal the (proper) start of the season. It always augurs well when you can see the first game of the season far enough.
Was absent last Saturday, thankfully so by the sounds of it. Ayr will have their tails up and Somerset is never a particularly easy to go at the best of times. Shankland is the obvious threat but unless we're able to match Murdoch and Crawford in the middle of the park, it's going to be a similar story.
Have fond memories of Somerset such as:
  • Watching Chic Charnley lose the rag and get sent off.
  • Getting stuck under a massive flag behind the goal and missing most of the first half of a Scottish Cup tie where Neil Tarrant buried us.
  • Going to a Challenge Cup game in a t-shirt with the intention of going to see Dave Pearce at Freshers Week afterwards. Alex Williams scored in the last minute to take it to extra time and it was fucking baltic. Of course, lost in ET. Never got up the road until after 11 and everybody was already stocious. 
Fond as f**k.
I remember a guy losing the rag, stamping his foot in a temper and putting himself out for the season.
Mark McWalter ?

14 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I remember a game at Somerset. It was either late August or near the end of the season in glorious sunshine. Thistle won 3-1 and I am sure McWalter scored 2. The guy beside me spent the whole game biting his nails

We beat Ayr and Kilmarnock four times in the league that season.

9 minutes ago, the_paulo said:

Anything could happen in a season when Mark McWalter scores 2 goals in a single game. 

He didn't manage even a single competitive  goal for the Thistle first team. He did, however, crock John Martin so he's forgiven for his lack of goals. And talent. 

4 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

He didn't manage even a single competitive first team goal for the Thistle first team. He did, however, crock John Martin so he's forgiven for his lack of goals. And talent. 

I didn't know he never actually scored for us.  My abiding memory of McWalter was his inability to change direction, either with or without the ball, despite his lack of speed.  

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

Looking forward to being in a league with opposition that actually bring fans, decry Somerset as much as you want when there is a decent crowd the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

And rates as a favourite away day by many a supporter.

Looking forward to being in a league with opposition that actually bring fans, decry Somerset as much as you want when there is a decent crowd the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

Best day out there is in a proper football ground.cant wait for tomorrow 

Is Geggan back for us tomorrow, isn't mentioned in the team news, disappointing Moore won't be back. Reckon we'll line up like this :

Doohan

Ferguson
Rose
Bell/Adams
Harvie

McDaid
Crawford
Murdoch
Forrest

Moffat
Shankland

when there is a decent crowd the atmosphere is 2nd to none.

Would agree with this. 

The cup quarter final in 99/00 was one of my favourite ever football experiences atmosphere wise. Proper old school. The entire ground was packed with hundreds of Thistle fans locked out.

16 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Is Geggan back for us tomorrow, isn't mentioned in the team news, disappointing Moore won't be back. Reckon we'll line up like this :

Doohan

Ferguson
Rose
Bell/Adams
Harvie

McDaid
Crawford
Murdoch
Forrest

Moffat
Shankland

That would be my line up with Adams getting the nod ahead of Bell. I didn’t even have Adams in my 18 when everyone was fit so he’s came a long way, he was terrific up at Firhill so dropping him would be extremely harsh. 

ETA: No mention of Geggan being injured in preview so would get him back in for Ferguson. 

Archived