Ayr Utd vs Partick Thistle

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yes and yes. Got a wee bit of luck with both calls.

Also noticed Adams kicking Storey in the back when he’s on the ground before Crawford shoving him out the road. Good to see he’s up to his old tricks.

Disagree with most of this. Our pen looks on the line and the referee is in good position to see for sure. The handball looked worse at the game. Clearly no time to react and not doing anything unusual with his arms. No penalty.

Storey massively overreacts to a daft nibble from Adams. Probably frustrated at how the game was going.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

His arm is at head height, Iain.

But it's natural movement. When his arm goes up the opponent is facing the other way, it's not one of those where he's making himself bigger to block the ball. Definitely looked like a pen at the ground though.

I didn't think that it should have been a penalty against Rose at the time and I stand by that after seeing it on the highlights.  This is probably the poorest refereed rule in the game but it states:

“Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:

·         the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

·         the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

·         the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence

·         touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) is an offence

·         hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) is an offence”

Rose's handball was neither deliberate nor a movement of the hand towards the ball.  The distance was such that he probably couldn't have got his hand away anyway.

26 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

One game in and United and Thistle fans already want their manager sacked.

Very bad losers.

One game? Get your specs fixed, wise guy. :angel

The frustration for myself about the "handball" incident is that one ref will give it and another one won't. 

In my personal opinion if the ball strikes the hand in the penalty area, it should be a penalty regardless of context. This clears it up, and will allow defenders to adapt their defending style accordingly and doesn't leave it down to the judgement of a bundle of different referees on a weekly basis - that is what they seemed to be doing during the World Cup(which is obviously helped by a million camera set up and VAR support)

Even if we had got the penalty, it'd have been blazed into the terracing - it was just that sort of day.

11 minutes ago, South Lanarkshire Jag said:

The frustration for myself about the "handball" incident is that one ref will give it and another one won't. 

In my personal opinion if the ball strikes the hand in the penalty area, it should be a penalty regardless of context. This clears it up, and will allow defenders to adapt their defending style accordingly and doesn't leave it down to the judgement of a bundle of different referees on a weekly basis - that is what they seemed to be doing during the World Cup(which is obviously helped by a million camera set up and VAR support)

Even if we had got the penalty, it'd have been blazed into the terracing - it was just that sort of day.

I think Partick got a tough rub of the green there, but for handball, it's open to interpretation.  The guy's hand is at head height, for one thing, but he's also about a foot away when the ball is kicked.

I think the penalty is outside the box, I think it's a definite handball, and the Ayr guy could easily have been sent off for kicking out (I don't necessarily think he should have been, but we've all seen them given).

If I were Alan Archibald, I'd be coming out with all sorts of excuses, and some of them are actually fair.

That said, I take it back about Max Melbourne, albeit out of position.  He doesn't look great on those highlights.

Amazed that Adams didn't see red card for a clear kick out at Storey on the ground. Thought it was borderline for Ayr penalty but after seeing replay it seems that he was on the line of box which is deemed inside and therefore penalty was right decision.  At full speed I don't think you can give a penalty for Rose handball.

The game aside, pretty good day out in Ayr. Free pies in the Wallace before the game and craic from away fans was decent. 

A bird shat on me right before kick off outside the pub and Ayr fan said "That's good luck, you's will probably win now" fucking lies. 

Can we have McCall back? 

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

The game aside, pretty good day out in Ayr. Free pies in the Wallace before the game and craic from away fans was decent.

How the f**k did an away fan fit into the fucking Wallace?

I know Partick have been going through a dodgy period but I've never seen opposition fans leave after barely twenty minutes before. I could understand if we were 4 or 5 up but at 2-0? I noticed the boys with the flag in the corner taking it down just after the second goal and heading out. 

I think the only time under 5 and a half years of Archibald we've got anything from a game at 2-0 down was away to Hamilton, where we actually came from 2-0 down to 3-2 up... then conceded a 93rd minute equaliser. I wasn't there yesterday but empirical evidence suggests 2-0 is as good as game over if we're on the wrong end of it.

I'm glad for Partick that all the marginal decisions went our way, going the other way would only have allowed the manager and board to paper over the cracks for a week or so, your team have been very uninspiring on both occasions and clearly need a minimum of 3 players that are better than what you already have, if they don't come in you're in a relegation battle.

Archived