Unusual

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One that raised the eyebrows was Oakley beating Leith.

No disrespect meant to Oakley but they weren't the strongest to come out of the Juniors (sure they were South league last year) and they've beat one of the stronger existing teams.  Know it's all a bit phoney war just now but it is noticeable.

Yeah, I don't mean it to be disparaging towards them.  Something of a surprise but could be result of the day (possibly St Andrew's trouncing of Tynecastle though).

Worth saying it can be difficult to draw too much from the Qualifying League as some clubs... typically those which started friendlies later (and therefore presumably brought the players back in later)... seem to use the week as the culmination of pre-season, while others treat it as the start of full-blown action.

Leith v Oakley saw an ex-District team beat a top-third EOSL. Tranent v Hawick saw an ex-Premier team beat a relegated LL. Otherwise the ex-Juniors were from similar or higher brackets.

Looking at it by brackets Crossgates holding Linlithgow is the other notable result.

7 minutes ago, RobM said:

Yeah as I said it's all kind of a phoney war just now but not one single result is surprising.  

I suppose the Crossgates v Lithgae one is a bit of a surprise others wern't though.

25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

...Leith v Oakley saw an ex-District team beat a top-third EOSL. Tranent v Hawick saw an ex-Premier team beat a relegated LL. Otherwise the ex-Juniors were from similar or higher brackets...

Hawick only got into the LL due to a lack of credible applicants, so that defeat shouldn't have come as a shock to anybody. They are likely to be in Tweedmouth and Eyemouth territory this season. LTHV would be the only EoS side from last season that I would expect to be able to consistently compete with and get results against former east superleague and the stronger ex-premier clubs like Musselburgh, Blackburn and Haddington, so given they were playing an EoS team from last season a whitewash in this regard was potentially very much on the cards. It's only really Leith vs Oakley that can sensibly be viewed as unexpected and Oakley have been a stronger club than they were last season in relatively recent times, so the conference format might well have helped them out in recruitment terms by making them more attractive again to players that would have steered clear of a district level team.

6 minutes ago, RobM said:

Sorry not been entirely clear there, what I meant was it's surprising that no existing EoS team took anything.

Aye sorry I went a bit off track a bit with the Crossgates score, good result for them mind you!

As Long Time Lurker says LTHV are the only side from last seasons EOSL which you would expect to beat the former top end juniors on a regular basis.

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye sorry I went a bit off track a bit with the Crossgates score, good result for them mind you!

As Long Time Lurker says LTHV are the only side from last seasons EOSL which you would expect to beat the former top end juniors on a regular basis.

Brilliant result for Crossgates.  I'm really pleased for them because I've always found every body at the club very friendly when I've been over.

Great to see them back.

9 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

They did pretty well last year may only be a blip

I'd have said last year was a blip, given they finished 15th, 12th, 12th, and 12th (bottom) in previous years.

I was at the Leith v Oakley game, the home side were reasonably well organised but Oakley had far more talent and more flexibility. You can't read too much into one game, especially without knowing how much pre-season each have had, but today Oakley were far superior.

20 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

Conference A: 6 wins and 6 defeats

Conference B: 6 wins 1 draw and 6 defeats

Conference C: 6 wins 1 draw and 6 defeats

Parity between the divisions.

Yep. all credit to  the EoS for exercising a bit of imagination with the conference set-up.  By the looks of it the structure next season will be set up on merit with little to moan about.  All admin so far has been impeccable.

Hardly surprising the ex junior sides won comfortably, the standard of the EOS league in previous years (bar 2/3 teams) has been poor. I would be bold & say an ex junior team will win each conference

Archived