Championship Golden Boot

55 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

According to the latest stats Dykes and Aird are joint top on assists with 3 each.

Yeah, I see that. Given he had four assists on Saturday I think we can safely say those stats aren't terribly reliable. He would have had five if Dobbie hadn't missed the second penalty.

Yeah, I see that. Given he had four assists on Saturday I think we can safely say those stats aren't terribly reliable. He would have had five if Dobbie hadn't missed the second penalty.

IMG_2655.jpg
It would appear they’ve credited Josh Todd with the assist to Harkins goal.

No idea how they’ve managed that given Todd wasn’t even up with play when the goal was scored.

14 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

IMG_2655.jpg
It would appear they’ve credited Josh Todd with the assist to Harkins goal.

No idea how they’ve managed that given Todd wasn’t even up with play when the goal was scored.

What app/site were you using?

Chances are it's fed by Opta who's guy at the ground will have reported the goal, type of shot, from where and into where and then been asked who got the assist. Not always so easy to get everything spot on (although maybe easier to get it right than say Josh Todd in this instance)

15 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Official assist stats aren't usually generous enough in my opinion. They never usually credit who was brought down for a penalty, who played the cross in for an OG, or who hit a shot that comes back off the post if someone elses scores on the rebound etc

26 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Official assist stats aren't usually generous enough in my opinion. They never usually credit who was brought down for a penalty, who played the cross in for an OG, or who hit a shot that comes back off the post if someone elses scores on the rebound etc

Dont they? They certainly should. 

On 27/07/2018 at 16:39, D'Jaffo said:

I’ve already placed money on Shankland to finish top scorer so I’ll say him. I’d imagine he’ll score around the 20 mark.

Dobbie won’t be far behind but with Alloa being the only part time team he’ll struggle this season.

The struggle is real.

ETA.  Anyone seriously suggesting beforehand that it would be anyone other than Dobbie, is a moron.

Edited by MONKMAN

[mention=3001]qos_75[/mention] & [mention=13606]Black and White Tragic[/mention] (the traitorous b*****d) the only bold ones on 30+ goals for Dobbie.
Will become irrelevant once El Bak learns how to make something of aimless high balls pumped vaguely in his direction. 
Yep once he puts on three stone of muscle and grows two feet he will be fine.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Dont they? They certainly should. 

Completely agree. As you said before, it's not overly reliable and it will fluctuate with different people's opinions.

Even in the highly analysed and filmed from every angle English Prem they're not generous enough. In Man City v Huddersfield for example I think Ben Mendy was only credited with 1 assist when you & I would have given him 3.

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:50, Hawk said:

Gonna be some poor defending in this league this season going by some of the predictions. Anyway mine is Sir Stephen with 18 league goals.

Or maybe I just underestimated how much better Stephen is than everyone else at this level. Any how Sir Stephen it is.:thumsup2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A wee update on the as-yet-unnamed inaugural trophy:

There's only really a handful of serious contenders:

Dobbie - 18

Shankland - 18

Billy McKay - 12 (just in case anyone thought it must be Brad McKay)

Faissal El Bak - 1 

The wee man is giving the others a fair head start and still is clearly the favourite for the trophy. Dobbie and Shankland will need to slow down their scoring rate if they are to avoid letting down the many posters who have backed them.  

On 27/07/2018 at 18:01, Skyline Drifter said:

Not too many taking this seriously given that only Stephen Dobbie (twice) and Jason Cummings have scored more than 15 League goals at this level in the last two seasons. Dobbie got 18 last season (from 31 games). He and Cummings both got 19 the year before (Dobbie made 34 starts that year).

Waghorn got 20 for Rangers the year before with Cummings getting 18 and John Baird 17 for Falkirk.

Dobbie would have to be favourite to top score again I expect though Dunfermline fans will feel that El Bakhtoui will have every chance and certainly the way they've brushed aside their Betfred Group suggests he'll get plenty of opportunities. Ayr fans are rightly full of enthusiasm about Lawrence Shankland. And someone with Kris Doolan's track record should only be ignored at huge risk.

If County do as well as I expect them to then McKay and McManus may score a few. A fit and motivated Nathan Austin should be a danger too. And if United ever get it right Nicky Clark has a track record for scoring about 15 league goals a year at this level.

Falkirk are a bit of a mystery though Marcus Haber would be a really good signing if there's any truth at all in that. One of the Alloa posters in the summer told us that Greig Spence brings a "guaranteed 20 goals a season" so I expect he'll be up there too! If Denny Johnstone gets himself fit he'll be a big threat.

Still, I'll go for Dobbie to make it three in a row as top league scorer on say 19 goals.

Well this has aged well. :lol:

Given that Dobbie and Shankland are both on 18 with 15 games to go my suggestion that it was unlikely anyone would make 20 is looking pretty forlorn!

El Bakhtoui, McManus, Doolan, Austin. :lol: Haber!!:lol::lol: At least I was genuinely joking about including Spence.

Has Denny Johnstone even managed 2 games yet?