The Big Kick-Off

Just now, never been to scotland said:

Would it really be that imbalanced once the best clubs have been taken out of the equation? Any small differences in quality would be sorted out at level 7 the following season (especially if 4 were to go down).

If you're manipulating leagues, you need to ensure everyone has a fair crack at the whip, regionalisation doesn't provide that.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

If you're manipulating leagues, you need to ensure everyone has a fair crack at the whip, regionalisation doesn't provide that.

It would provide a good geographical spread of clubs at level 7 though, which could only be a good thing. Those not getting a 'fair crack' as you put it (I don't agree) would likely be promoted from 8 to 7 the following season.

2 minutes ago, never been to scotland said:

It would provide a good geographical spread of clubs at level 7 though, which could only be a good thing. Those not getting a 'fair crack' as you put it (I don't agree) would likely be promoted from 8 to 7 the following season.

We can't treat this as some sort of paper exercise which will eventually balance out down the road just because it looks nice.

If you're going to go down the road of having everyone who doesn't qualify for the Premier lumped into tier 7 and then from that, form a First Division for the following season, you need to ensure the leagues/conferences are balanced, just like this season, so everyone has a fair chance at it.   Regionalisation doesn't provide that for the reasons previously stated.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

We can't treat this as some sort of paper exercise which will eventually balance out down the road just because it looks nice.

If you're going to go down the road of having everyone who doesn't qualify for the Premier lumped into tier 7 and then from that, form a First Division for the following season, you need to ensure the leagues/conferences are balanced, just like this season, so everyone has a fair chance at it.   Regionalisation doesn't provide that for the reasons previously stated.

No method will ever give a perfect balance. A regional split would make it easier for any very small amateur clubs to make the step up.

2 minutes ago, never been to scotland said:

No method will ever give a perfect balance. A regional split would make it easier for any very small amateur clubs to make the step up.

No, but seeding is the best method to try and achieve that, not geography.   Very small amateur clubs wont be in tier 7 next season.

Isn't the point of a free flowing setup to allow for movement from the top to the bottom and vice versa? Teams will progress and regress year on year or over much longer periods, the seeding was for this year and will help find a level of balance after the first season. Regarding the fairness of dropping a league after one bad season..... Isn't the approach of teams remaining in a league after finishing bottom something we are trying to get away from? If a team has a bad season then unfortunately they will get relegated, much the same as having a good season could see you promoted. 

Teams joining a regionalised set up, where they play the same teams over and over every year will stagnate and fans/players will become bored of the same old same old. This year is a shining example of that, I think most eosfl fans and clubs probably haven't been looking forward to a season as much.... New clubs, new parks, new teams and players and a bit of adventure..... Regionalisation does away with that for me, particularly in such a small country, which in terms of its league structure and set up (the East of Scotland football league) is already regionalised anyway. 

8 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

Isn't the point of a free flowing setup to allow for movement from the top to the bottom and vice versa? Teams will progress and regress year on year or over much longer periods, the seeding was for this year and will help find a level of balance after the first season. Regarding the fairness of dropping a league after one bad season..... Isn't the approach of teams remaining in a league after finishing bottom something we are trying to get away from? If a team has a bad season then unfortunately they will get relegated, much the same as having a good season could see you promoted. 

Earlier posts were suggesting it's okay to let teams drop down two levels due to one poor season.

1 hour ago, G4Mac said:

Teams joining a regionalised set up, where they play the same teams over and over every year will stagnate and fans/players will become bored of the same old same old. This year is a shining example of that, I think most eosfl fans and clubs probably haven't been looking forward to a season as much.... New clubs, new parks, new teams and players and a bit of adventure..... Regionalisation does away with that for me, particularly in such a small country, which in terms of its league structure and set up (the East of Scotland football league) is already regionalised anyway. 

Spot on. 

I can't wait for my first trip to Peebles on Saturday. And I'll be paying my first visit to Burntisland's ground on wednesday as we don't have a game. The excitement of the new set up and visiting different parks has really got my juices flowing.

For me regionalisation in the bottom tier should only come in if the Tayside junior teams join the EOS. Our trip to peebles is only 75 miles. If teams can't cope with that they should be looking at going amateur. As GMac says we're in Scotland not Russia or Canada. 

As previously pointed out ex junior super/premier sides should be to strong for existing eos and smaller ex juniors like Craigie and Easthouses. Results on Saturday proved this apart from probably Crossgates.

Might take a season or two for clubs to find their ideal level and a few big defeats but it's something i'm looking forward to.

On 29/07/2018 at 16:41, patriot1 said:

Spot on. 

I can't wait for my first trip to Peebles on Saturday. And I'll be paying my first visit to Burntisland's ground on wednesday as we don't have a game. The excitement of the new set up and visiting different parks has really got my juices flowing.

For me regionalisation in the bottom tier should only come in if the Tayside junior teams join the EOS. Our trip to peebles is only 75 miles. If teams can't cope with that they should be looking at going amateur. As GMac says we're in Scotland not Russia or Canada. 

So much for my first trip to Peebles. Saturday's game has been switched to Leith's ground. I believe there are issues with Peebles' pitch. Gutted.

Still at least I haven't been to Peffermill before.

Archived